Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unfortunately had to cancel my order - are Tesla really a business?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear All,
Well my own personal dealing with Tesla have not been great, initially took me multiple emails and phone call's over a 3 week period to book a test drive of a MX - loved it
Placed my order on the 14th October (via leasing company) and was showing as an order on the Tesla website a few days later - all good I thought
I find out today that my order wont be delivered until at least March as they have downgraded production on MX & MS to keep up with demand of the M3.........rahhhhhhhhh

How can Tesla call themselves a business when they offer (or in my case don't) a service and customer service like this!

I know the have a desirable product, a bit like 'apple have/had' but this still has to be supported by service levels!

So now cancelled my £95,000 order and back to the drawing board.... rahhhhh

3 months I can understand, thats the normal waiting time for a car and normally how long my Porsche or BMW's take - but you know this and have a date when you place an order.
You place an order with Tesla and are in the lap of the gods.... 6 to 7 months for a production car (that's not a new model) is not satisfactory

Reactions: holmgang
I have been moaning and called a contact at Tesla myself today for that moan.

My MS90D is now 3.5 years old and my plan is to keep it longer term. However, my wife's i3 is nearing end of lease, and we have been discussing a replacement, her dream car is an M3 - but she wants a test drive.

I have made three requests for a test drive - no response yet, which is pathetic.

My Tesla contact described this problem as " the growing pains of a successful company". He told me how demand for the M3 is through the roof.

He told me how Manchester South - Stockport is being used for group [mass] deliveries. Manchester South shop - Knutsford is for test drives, Mon-Thurs only.

Despite my digression, this is answering the OP - it will be worth the wait, or by an inventory car, they are the best cars on the road. I have test driven some other electric cars, can't speak about all of them but even my dated pre-facelift MS is miles better than any ICE, and still light years ahead of the other manufacturers. Try an etron and you'll see, its sluggish, slow, heavy.

I also recommend www.tesla-info.com | UK inventory - you can search all the Teslas on sale in UK, including second hand.

Good luck, it will be worth it

Regards,

Tony

I have made three requests for a test drive - no response yet, which is pathetic.

Much the same here. I made requests for test drive back in August, got no response at all. I decided to place an order anyway, and did so on 25th October.

I collected the car on 22nd November.

On 29th November I had a response inviting me for a test drive...

People wanting test drives really ought to contact fellow local Tesla owners. Not only are many happy to talk about and demo their cars, but you'll probably learn a lot more from their experience.

Good idea in principle, but at the time I was looking for a test drive in a Model 3 very few had been delivered, as I believe they only started shipping them to customers around July.

Speaking of test drives. What are the insurance implications of letting friends/neighbours/randoms drive your pride & joy?

Depends on yours and their insurance.

Your insurance will normally says who can drive the car. I use to have 'any driver' on mine, but not for a long time. Company policies may be more flexible, but will likely have exclusions.

Their insurance may allow them to drive any other car with owners permission. It will likely be third party only and emergency/occasional use only (often not made clear), and again, exclusions may apply. Basically you cannot insure a car, and have someone drive it on their policy as if it was their regular car. For that, its named drivers on the main policy.

Last edited:
Speaking of test drives. What are the insurance implications of letting friends/neighbours/randoms drive your pride & joy?
In the US, you're covered with regular insurance. Well, you should exercise reasonable care, like making sure the person you are letting drive has a license. I've had hundreds of people drive my S and 3, some by personal arrangement, but most at EV evangelism events. I've usually been in the passenger seat. I've also let friends borrow my cars while I've been out of town, often up to a week. It's a great way to get people who are otherwise unconvinced to buy a Tesla. And my insurance covers it.

In the US, you're covered with regular insurance. Well, you should exercise reasonable care, like making sure the person you are letting drive has a license. I've had hundreds of people drive my S and 3, some by personal arrangement, but most at EV evangelism events. I've usually been in the passenger seat. I've also let friends borrow my cars while I've been out of town, often up to a week. It's a great way to get people who are otherwise unconvinced to buy a Tesla. And my insurance covers it.

Pretty rare to have "any driver" policies here, as they are generally a LOT more expensive. I've only ever had myself and one named driver on my car insurance, really just to keep the premium down to a reasonable figure.

Pretty rare to have "any driver" policies here, as they are generally a LOT more expensive. I've only ever had myself and one named driver on my car insurance, really just to keep the premium down to a reasonable figure.
They are not "any driver" policies here. What they do is cover "occasional use" by any driver not specifically excluded. And they don't cover commercial use of any sort.