Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended range charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm quite positive that I left yesterday morning with a max charge of 242, since I always standard charge my car. I cleaned the console with a wipe and cloth, and I must have switched the charge from standard to range (lots of windows popping up and closing while wiping it down). Today I have off from work, and only had to run a quick errand (about 1-2 miles away) and noticed I had 265 miles of range. I really have nothing else to do today and am stuck at home (social reasons).

Is this going to be a significant issue now that the car is basically sitting in the garage for the rest of the day near full charge? Should I plug in? Run the battery down with the AC or something?

You could take a page out of Ferris Bueller: Put the car up on jacks and a brick on the accelerator. Of course in Ferris Bueller the car was also in reverse. Running the A/C sounds like a reasonable thing to do to get the SOC down.

I'm quite positive that I left yesterday morning with a max charge of 242, since I always standard charge my car. I cleaned the console with a wipe and cloth, and I must have switched the charge from standard to range (lots of windows popping up and closing while wiping it down). Today I have off from work, and only had to run a quick errand (about 1-2 miles away) and noticed I had 265 miles of range. I really have nothing else to do today and am stuck at home (social reasons).

Is this going to be a significant issue now that the car is basically sitting in the garage for the rest of the day near full charge? Should I plug in? Run the battery down with the AC or something?

I would try to drive it hard, turn regen to low, for the little bit you have to drive it. I did the same thing once, but luckily have a 25 mile commute to work so burned off the charge in no time. I wouldn't be super concerned about it. Just not something you want to do all the time. If you really want to drop the battery down, put the HVAC to HOT put the windows down and have it got full blast for 30 minutes or so.

You could take a page out of Ferris Bueller: Put the car up on jacks and a brick on the accelerator. Of course in Ferris Bueller the car was also in reverse. Running the A/C sounds like a reasonable thing to do to get the SOC down.

Probably won't work. Electric motors pull almost no current when they have no load. He would be better off putting the car's climate to HOT and running it full blast for a while.

Doing it once or twice is not the end of the world. Ideally you should have taken it out for a joyride.

Seeing as things like headlights default back to auto, it would make sense if the firmware defaulted back to standard charging.

I cleaned the console with a wipe and cloth, and I must have switched the charge from standard to range (lots of windows popping up and closing while wiping it down).

I've had similar problems wiping the screen before as well. They really need a screen cleaning mode that ignores touches for 30 seconds. In the meantime, I've developed a good technique.

The only "app" that doesn't respond to touches is the rear view camera. So I select that on the top screen and wipe thoroughly, then flip it to the bottom and wipe the bottom half. Then just wipe the bottom and top rows of controls. The worst that can happen is that your apps and climate settings may be a little messed up. Easy to fix.

This is really a super stupid thing that one CAN'T clean the screen without chaos ! I called 4 times the same person while cleaning ! When switching the screen manually off it should NOT go on by simply touching it but by for example hitting the break.

I did not try, but I think the only working trick is to sit on the co drivers seat and manually switching off.

Anyone has a better idea ?

And last but not least, so LEAVING it at range harms the battery ? I thought only charging to 100 % is the problem, not leaving it there !

I must have an electric personality, because I can't find a cloth that doesn't register a touch from me, no matter how thick it is. Then again, I'm always the person who seems to get static shocks when everyone else doesn't.

And last but not least, so LEAVING it at range harms the battery ? I thought only charging to 100 % is the problem, not leaving it there !
Both matter, but leaving it there matters a lot more. If you charge to 100% and use it up almost immediately the impact is negligible (0.01% of your capacity, equivalent to about at hour of storage at absolute 100%SOC, 4.2V).

For typical 18650, if you leave it at absolute 100% SOC (4.2V) you lose 20% every 3 months (at room temperature, it's worse at hotter temperatures) or 0.22% of your capacity every day (24 hours). Tesla limits the pack to ~95%SOC (4.15V) even when it says "100%" charged so this effect is reduced, but still not good to do for long periods of time.

Last edited:
I've had similar problems wiping the screen before as well. They really need a screen cleaning mode that ignores touches for 30 seconds. In the meantime, I've developed a good technique.

The only "app" that doesn't respond to touches is the rear view camera. So I select that on the top screen and wipe thoroughly, then flip it to the bottom and wipe the bottom half. Then just wipe the bottom and top rows of controls. The worst that can happen is that your apps and climate settings may be a little messed up. Easy to fix.

I don't have my car yet, but what happens if you shut the car off and then enter from the passenger side. Does the screen turn on only when the driver's door is opened? Does it still turn on if you touch it and you are not sitting in the driver's seat?

Great idea!