Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unstable steering at speeds around 80 mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When aligning front wheels, caster is an important setting that can make any car feel wobbly and unstable. Setting the caster to a positive angle stiffens steering and encourages the steering wheel to find center (think the front wheels on shopping carts trailing behind the as you push the cart - they always find center). Setting the caster angle back makes steering very light and soft. If it is too far back, the car will float side to side (think the front wheels on a shopping cart pointed the wrong way). I would ask for an alignment report and have them show you the actual caster angles; compare to factory specifications which they must have. Good luck. My P90D is rock solid at any speed up to 85mph which is my max so far.

I got the model X P100D not S. I took it to a track recently to test it out. 100 MPH very solid. But after 140MPH it gets pretty scary. I did around 147MPH but it was too unstable to continue. It was fairly windy though, but still definitely this car is not built for high speeds or there are some issues with it. I was surprised how quickly this car gets to 140MPH.
SUV owner complaining about instability at 147mph in "fairly windy" weather. Love this forum. :)

The Buena Park service center redid the alignment and torqued all suspension bolts but that did not help. My service advisor looked on the bulletine and said that it's been a common complaint and they've attributed it to the 19 inch MS cars. I finally decided to get the 21 inch staggered wheels with Michelins pilots and the steering greattach now. My guess is its the Good Years that they are putting on the 19 inch wheels. Maybe someone with different tirestyles on the 19 can chime in. Hope this helps anyone out there with the same steering issue.

I have the 19" Goodyears and have a similar tracking problem on the freeway. The steering starts wandering at around 60 mph and up.

The Service Center realigned the car (came from factory out of alignment) but that only solved a pulling and misaligned steering wheel problem, the wandering problem still exists.

Did the Service Center try rotating your original tires?

Well bad news. After driving more on the new 21 inch wheels, I can feel the swaying. It's not as bad as the 19 inch wheels but it's there. I find myself having to always try and keep the car going straight. It feels floaty. Also kind of feels like the rear tracks left and right at times when the road is not perfectly flat.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I had my S85 go into this state after I put the Hakka P2 snow tires on a month ago. I found the feeling of "dancing" subsided substantially when I lowered the tire pressure down to 40psi (as registered on the TPS display). It got even better after an alignment at my yearly service interval.

Oddly, none of this happened when I put the snow tires on LAST winter.

I'll report back when the Michelins go back on this spring.

Well bad news. After driving more on the new 21 inch wheels, I can feel the swaying. It's not as bad as the 19 inch wheels but it's there. I find myself having to always try and keep the car going straight. It feels floaty. Also kind of feels like the rear tracks left and right at times when the road is not perfectly flat.

Thanks for the update. The condition you describe sounds very similar to what I experience.

Do you have any vibration in the steering wheel? I have a slight vibration at highway speeds that's been there since new. Not sure if it's associated with the tracking problem or not.

• Informative
I had my S85 go into this state after I put the Hakka P2 snow tires on a month ago. I found the feeling of "dancing" subsided substantially when I lowered the tire pressure down to 40psi (as registered on the TPS display). It got even better after an alignment at my yearly service interval.

Oddly, none of this happened when I put the snow tires on LAST winter.

I'll report back when the Michelins go back on this spring.

Thanks for the suggestion on the tire pressure, I'll give that a try before going back to the Service Center.

the fact your steering wheel was off center... is telling you the alignment is bad.

start there

You can also tune alignments for more higher speed stability at the expense of ... something else... like maybe rubber consumption.. it would be an art trying to do that for model S tho... Tesla wouldn't go there, you'd need an expert alignment shop (for racing / exotics) to even entertain the idea

maybe lolachamp on this forum can make some suggestions

Not necessarily, in fact likely not. The steering wheel is mounted on splined grooves on the steering column. When it's installed at the factory if it's off one groove it will be off center. I had that problem and it was corrected by removing and remounting the steering wheel.

The poster's problems are very like caused by his tires not the suspension or steering settings. ButI could be wrong if his alignment is out of wack. Could also be wheel balance issues. Lot's of possible causes.

The swaying is there on both 19 and 21 inch tires which were both brand new and balanced. It was worse on the 19 inch OEM Good Year. The last time it was in service, tesla said it was common on the 19 inch wheels and that's part reason I got the 21 with Michelins pilots. I did a search and there were reports back in 2013 that had the same issues that was fixed by replacing a washer in rear axle. I don't sense any vibration in my steering wheel.

• Informative
The swaying is there on both 19 and 21 inch tires which were both brand new and balanced. It was worse on the 19 inch OEM Good Year. The last time it was in service, tesla said it was common on the 19 inch wheels and that's part reason I got the 21 with Michelins pilots. I did a search and there were reports back in 2013 that had the same issues that was fixed by replacing a washer in rear axle. I don't sense any vibration in my steering wheel.

How many times have you had your car in the SC for this problem? Its been three times for me so far.

My Model S seems more prone to tramlining than other vehicles I've owned. You are likely experiencing tramlining, which is the vehicle's tendency to follow grooves or imperfections in the road surface. This can lead to a feeling of "floating" or "wandering". Tesla says this is totally normal and common with wider tires. I've driven many loaners over the last 3 years with both 19" and 21" wheels, and all but the staggered P85+ exhibit this issue.

My Model S seems more prone to tramlining than other vehicles I've owned. You are likely experiencing tramlining, which is the vehicle's tendency to follow grooves or imperfections in the road surface. This can lead to a feeling of "floating" or "wandering". Tesla says this is totally normal and common with wider tires. I've driven many loaners over the last 3 years with both 19" and 21" wheels, and all but the staggered P85+ exhibit this issue.
Just a data point...
I've definitely noticed a difference on what you're calling tramlining with the staggered wheels in the last month vs. all the non-staggered S that I've driven in the last 4 years.