Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsworth Vs Musk defamation trial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cognitive dissonance in Lin's words probably has to do with the identity of his client: Is it Unsworth or a third-party funder? Did the the third-party funder back out of any further action? Will they get in a fight as to who is on the hook for Musk's legal fees? Will we then learn the identity of the third-party funder?

My guess is that Lin got a call from Unsworth where he was told there is no ducking way that I am going through that again, don't you dare file for a retrial.

Reactions: EinSV
The cognitive dissonance in Lin's words probably has to do with the identity of his client: Is it Unsworth or a third-party funder? Did the the third-party funder back out of any further action? Will they get in a fight as to who is on the hook for Musk's legal fees? Will we then learn the identity of the third-party funder?
Yes! To me this is a very interesting question.

Perhaps Sir Unworth, MBE, simply does not possess the werewithal to come up with sufficient compensation that may be granted for his opponent (just to pull a number out of thin air, 190 million dollars? ;)) and can be expected to sue his counsel for reimbursement of the remainder, which said counsel is now desperately trying to check in the bud?

Or perhaps said counsel is worrying that he might get sued anyway for bad counseling or something?

Or maybe ditto does not want to finish a legal carreer as one of the biggest losers in the annals?

Or, as you subtly hint, are there perhaps persons unknown in the wings of this drama, wishing to stay behind a veil unpierced?

A losing counsel seems to gain nothing positive here, anyway.

Perhaps time will tell.

After the verdict, Vern said he wanted to move on, so maybe he's also said to drop it. Plus the court awarding costs to Musk is rather significant.

I can imagine Musk's lawyers giving Lin a call over the weekend at "the lake" and making a sensible gentleman's agreement - go away and we won't pursue.

After all, at the end of the day both Vern and Elon were in the wrong and it should have ended after the first apology. So to be honest I view this as a positive result for all parties as Vern's reputation got cleared out too.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Has anyone a way - other than my going to RMac's twitter feed, which I am not going to do - to show me and others what the missing lines are between the bottom of the first and the top of the second column?

Thank you in advance -

Has anyone a way - other than my going to RMac's twitter feed, which I am not going to do - to show me and others what the missing lines are between the bottom of the first and the top of the second column?

Thank you in advance -

ELZjni3UUAAig1Q

ELZjneUU8AEq-fB

Thank you in advance -

Their trial leader knew but did not disclose to them that the quest was not about money - if we were able to pull off the impossible and beat Goliath in his backyard, many other battles over years would have to be fought to collect the money, if the result was about the money. The final decision to expend the money, physical, and mental health, sacrifice of family, and personal wishes was not about money. It was about the pursuit of truth for Mr. Unsworth in a court of law to finally, fully, and forever clear his good name from the impact of anyone who thought Mr. Musk's comments were factual. The decisions and efforts of Mr. Unsworth's lawyers that followed were undertaken in the finest traditions of our profession. Those decisions and efforts were made in the pursuit of truth, not in the pursuit of money. The practice of law is a profession, not a business.

PS: Oops, I was typing too slow, @MP3Mike beat me to it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog and MP3Mike
Could well be. Unfortunately its behind a paywall, anyone got a pacer account?

Docket for Vernon Unsworth v. Elon Musk, 2:18-cv-08048-SVW-JC - CourtListener.com

the last two items (161, 162) would seem likely candidates.

I still love that the court ordered the plaintiff to pay Musk's legal fees.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.723137/gov.uscourts.cacd.723137.160.0.pdf

The more I think about it the more I feel like the court case and subsequent result was the best for all involved.

Image you're Unsworth, you are a cantankerous old fart who runs your mouth from time to time. You get needled by the media to talk *sugar* about a billionaire so they can get a scoop. Billionaire is triggered and labels you a pedo.

The power disparity means that nearly everyone you meet from then on has their doubts about you. You basically have to sue yo clear your name.

Imagine your a billionaire who likes to talk *sugar* on Twitter. Some jackass talks nonsense about you so you fire back. You're a giant who just crushed an ant when you were just trying to insult them. You delete the tweet but the media has already amplified the position.

The only solution is for Unsworth to sue and for an independent jury to state on the record that both of you were just talking in the heat of the moment. It's the best solution for all involved.

The more I think about it the more I feel like the court case and subsequent result was the best for all involved.

Image you're Unsworth, you are a cantankerous old fart who runs your mouth from time to time. You get needled by the media to talk *sugar* about a billionaire so they can get a scoop. Billionaire is triggered and labels you a pedo.

The power disparity means that nearly everyone you meet from then on has their doubts about you. You basically have to sue yo clear your name.

Imagine your a billionaire who likes to talk *sugar* on Twitter. Some jackass talks nonsense about you so you fire back. You're a giant who just crushed an ant when you were just trying to insult them. You delete the tweet but the media has already amplified the position.

The only solution is for Unsworth to sue and for an independent jury to state on the record that both of you were just talking in the heat of the moment. It's the best solution for all involved.

CorneliusXX = Lin Wood?

Could well be. Unfortunately its behind a paywall, anyone got a pacer account?

Docket for Vernon Unsworth v. Elon Musk, 2:18-cv-08048-SVW-JC -

CourtListener.com

the last two items (161, 162) would seem likely candidates.

I still love that the court ordered the plaintiff to pay Musk's legal fees.

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cacd.723137/gov.uscourts.cacd.723137.160.0.pdf

Court costs are not legal fee. This is likely a few hundred dollars.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thing tarnished my image of Elon forever. Billionaire calling someone a pedophile with no evidence, pretty much the worst type of accusation you can make about someone. Then gloats about getting away with it...

I guess we're used to Billionaires crapping on little people and smiling about it these days. Too bad Elon has joined camp.

He's a visionary... and a jerk.

Can't have much respect for the Tesla sycophants defending such behavior either.

You know, if you're in a bar fight, and it's someone else who threw the first punch, it doesn't really matter who's a billionaire and who isn't.

Can Elon just please stop the crazy stuff and
(1) Get Tesla sustainably profitable;
(2) Get Navigation and Summon out of Beta after 4 years;
(3) Give us the option to keep the Media Center from popping up every time I start my X;
(4) Stop wasting SW development resources on that stupid childish screen with the cowbells, whoopee cushion, etc.
(5) Finally find a fix the driver's side wind noise
?

Just proof to me twitter should be shut off :)

i figure in a world where Trump is allowed to attack a 16 yo kid and nothing happens calling someone a pedo guy once is fair.

kinda a dumb insult anyway. You could easily blow that off. It’s not like he explicitly stated when and where the guy did stuff.

whole thing was stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.