Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question:

I'm considering going for MPP Sport Coilovers on my daily driver. I've modded many cars in the past and sometimes everything just works as if it's stock and sometimes a good mod has many negative tradeoffs such as noise..etc. My intention is light autocross and tracking the vehicle but mostly just a more enjoyable feel on an incredible car. Are there any negatives or drawbacks to the MPP Sport Coilovers? Anyone have any regrets? I'll have this car until the Roadster comes out soooo...it'll be a while. lol

Thanks!!

Best,
Gene
This is why I love the MPP Coilovers - no drawbacks. No additional NVH. I had other Coilovers that were 50% more expensive than the MPP's and I got very tired of them because there was noticeably more NVH than stock.

Question:

I'm considering going for MPP Sport Coilovers on my daily driver. I've modded many cars in the past and sometimes everything just works as if it's stock and sometimes a good mod has many negative tradeoffs such as noise..etc. My intention is light autocross and tracking the vehicle but mostly just a more enjoyable feel on an incredible car. Are there any negatives or drawbacks to the MPP Sport Coilovers? Anyone have any regrets? I'll have this car until the Roadster comes out soooo...it'll be a while. lol

Thanks!!

Best,
Gene
I think you'll be very happy with the MPP Sports. I've had this setup for almost two years, and I've yet to experience any abnormal noises or side effects. Track visits for me are rare, so most of the time, I'm performing daily-driver duties, or taking the car on long road trips. The suspension is equally adept at the mundane stuff as it is tackling spirited romps through the canyons. My only regret was waiting as long as I did to install the components. They sat in a box in my garage for a few months before I finally busted out the jack stands and my tools.

My advice: don't wait. Whether it's MPP, UP, Redwood, etc., just focus on getting those stock dampers and springs out of the car ASAP!

I can't compare Redwood Öhlins DFV to MPP to UP (yet?), but I can say a little about my Öhlins experience so far.

Before buying our M3P, which wife & I picked up yesterday, we test drove several cars including a 2021 Polestar 2 with Performance Pack which comes with adjustable Öhlins DFV dampers from the factory. Going into the test drive I knew nothing about Polestar, and I had barely glanced at the P*2's spec sheet, just enough to see that on paper it looked inferior to a Model 3/Y...

The suspension and handling on that Öhlins-equipped P*2 P blew me away. It's night-and-day better than a stock 2021 M3P or M3LR. When pushed hard over twisty roads, especially uneven back roads, the Model 3 is a sloppy mess in comparison. Ride quality in the P*2 P is better as well. All this despite the P*2 weighing significantly more. The difference was very clear to my wife too, even though she's not into sporty driving like I am.

Will the Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV give the Model 3 some of that suspension magic? I don't know yet, but I'll find out once my order for a "Street Performance" set arrives and I make time to install them. I know there's much more to suspension tuning and handling feel than just shocks, but I'm quite certain Polestar's use of (well-tuned) Öhlins DFV dampers played a big part in how well-sorted the P*2 P feels.

Are the Redwood Model 3 Öhlins worth a price premium over MPP KWs or UP or anything else? I also can't say that yet, I've only driven stock Model 3's so far. :) Someday I'd love to get together with folks who have different aftermarket suspension parts on their cars and do some test fun driving.
I finally have dialed in my redwood ohlin touring suspension on my Y and it's just amazing. Freeways now are just buttery smooth , speed bumps recover with no secondary bounce and hard turns no longer have that body roll .

Reactions: tm1v2
Can anyone provide feedback on the non-adjustable MPP coilovers that is in the rust belt or a state that uses salt? How are they holding up after 1 to 2 winters?

I do not need the fully adjustable coilovers and I can't justify almost a grand more in order to get stainless shock bodies.

I think you'll be very happy with the MPP Sports. I've had this setup for almost two years, and I've yet to experience any abnormal noises or side effects. Track visits for me are rare, so most of the time, I'm performing daily-driver duties, or taking the car on long road trips. The suspension is equally adept at the mundane stuff as it is tackling spirited romps through the canyons. My only regret was waiting as long as I did to install the components. They sat in a box in my garage for a few months before I finally busted out the jack stands and my tools.

My advice: don't wait. Whether it's MPP, UP, Redwood, etc., just focus on getting those stock dampers and springs out of the car ASAP!
It's not so much the springs, but the dampers that are not desirable. 2021+ dampers aren't as bad as the older ones though. Much less compression damping for a better ride quality but about the same in rebound for an extra bounce or two.

It's not so much the springs, but the dampers that are not desirable. 2021+ dampers aren't as bad as the older ones though. Much less compression damping for a better ride quality but about the same in rebound for an extra bounce or two.

Oh dang, older cars had even more compression? This car seem begging for more rebound and less compression still.

Yes, that is why the new 2021s take sharp bumps and freeway expansion joints so much better. Still bouncy though. The 2021 M3P rides better than 2020 and older RWD or AWD on 18's in my opinion.
Neato. I will say the 2021 M3P and M3LR ride fine to me. Not great, nothing to write home about, and most other cars I tested rode smoother...but they're fine by my standards.

Have you ridden in pre-2021 and 2021 Model Y by any chance? Just wondering if you felt that Tesla made a similar change in the Y.

Neato. I will say the 2021 M3P and M3LR ride fine to me. Not great, nothing to write home about, and most other cars I tested rode smoother...but they're fine by my standards.

Have you ridden in pre-2021 and 2021 Model Y by any chance? Just wondering if you felt that Tesla made a similar change in the Y.
Yes, I have both a 2019 AWD and a 2021 Performance. My 2021 Performance rides just as good as the 2019 if not better. Have not driven the two diff Y's yet.

Can anyone provide feedback on the non-adjustable MPP coilovers that is in the rust belt or a state that uses salt? How are they holding up after 1 to 2 winters?

I do not need the fully adjustable coilovers and I can't justify almost a grand more in order to get stainless shock bodies.
I’ve been looking for the same info. I’ve reached out to some people I’ve found running them through Instagram and haven’t found anyone with terrible results yet.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had multiple ST coilover (essentially KW V1’s with INOX instead of stainless bodies) setups on other vehicles and they hold up ok in Pittsburgh. I would wire brush them and blast them with some black paint once per year. I’m pretty certain the non adjustables are the same INOX bodies.

Given the forks and springs on all of these seem to all be the same, there really isn’t a huge amount of body we need to worry about. And it’s not like the car comes with stainless shocks/struts stock anyway.

I’m planning on buying the non-adjustables, but waiting to see what Black Friday might bring. It would be cool to see some more feedback though.

I’ve been looking for the same info. I’ve reached out to some people I’ve found running them through Instagram and haven’t found anyone with terrible results yet.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had multiple ST coilover (essentially KW V1’s with INOX instead of stainless bodies) setups on other vehicles and they hold up ok in Pittsburgh. I would wire brush them and blast them with some black paint once per year. I’m pretty certain the non adjustables are the same INOX bodies.

Given the forks and springs on all of these seem to all be the same, there really isn’t a huge amount of body we need to worry about. And it’s not like the car comes with stainless shocks/struts stock anyway.

I’m planning on buying the non-adjustables, but waiting to see what Black Friday might bring. It would be cool to see some more feedback though.
The Comfort Non-Adjustable kit is zinc plated rather than stainless steel, so if you wanted to run them with Pittsburgh winters I would recommend spraying them with a rust preventative coating before winter and wiping it off in the spring. That should do the trick! Functionally they will be fine even if the zinc plating is eaten by the salt, but they won't look nice and shiny gold if that happens.

Reactions: Lindenwood