Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we have seen a Model X charging at 72 amp but also the info there is a single charger with 48 Amp. Hm so what is it?
The Founder models were built with 72 amp chargers, but the Signature and Production models will only have 48 amp chargers. Tesla likes to make running changes and this is one. They could just as easily switch it out for a larger charger again in a month or two if this is a supply issue.

Here is what the Tesla Motors – Third Quarter 2015 Shareholder Letter has to say about the Model X:

T1.PNG
T2.PNG

The only reason I can think of for Tesla putting a 48A charger in the Model X rather than 72 or 80A, with no option for dual chargers, is they believe their own marketing hype about the supercharger network. It just makes no sense that Tesla's newest model can't take full advantage of high amp level 2 charging, including some of Tesla's own destination charging. If my theory is true, they need to give the engineers more time off so they can travel outside of California.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we need to educate the great unwashed ... not all TMC members are Tesla shareholders :cool:
I think anyone with enough interest in Tesla to read this forum has likely perused the Tesla web site. It's open to non-shareholders too.

While nobody asked, I will offer my opinion... I will say that I personally think that 72 amp was the original plan, but like Next-Gen seats, getting quality parts for it (even the components to make it themselves) has proven difficult (remember the "quality" concerns of the center console) and the 48 amp option is being used as a "stopgap" to prevent further delays of the X. It could very well be that these are also "detuned" 72 amp chargers similar, or it could simply be a design based on slightly different parts. In any event, I think that Tesla's intention was to use 72 amp and they just have to make a decision to go with a different option for now or hold up production.

Last edited:
While nobody offers my opinion, I will say that I personally think that 72 amp was the original plan, but like Next-Gen seats, getting quality parts for it (even the components to make it themselves) has proven difficult (remember the "quality" concerns of the center console) and the 48 amp option is being used as a "stopgap" to prevent further delays of the X. It could very well be that these are also "detuned" 72 amp chargers similar, or it could simply be a design based on slightly different parts. In any event, I think that Tesla's intention was to use 72 amp and they just have to make a decision to go with a different option for now or hold up production.

I will agree with your WAG and raise you my WAG -- they'll reintroduce the 72A within a year and we'll have a new thread in 6 months with a lot of contentious discussion.

While nobody asked, I will offer my opinion... I will say that I personally think that 72 amp was the original plan, but like Next-Gen seats, getting quality parts for it (even the components to make it themselves) has proven difficult (remember the "quality" concerns of the center console) and the 48 amp option is being used as a "stopgap" to prevent further delays of the X. It could very well be that these are also "detuned" 72 amp chargers similar, or it could simply be a design based on slightly different parts. In any event, I think that Tesla's intention was to use 72 amp and they just have to make a decision to go with a different option for now or hold up production.

If that's true, it would be better for Tesla to drop the marketing-speak that insults the intelligence of informed buyers, and just say the cars in production now will have 48A chargers but an upgrade to 72A chargers will be available for purchase as a service-center installed option in the future.

If that's true, it would be better for Tesla to drop the marketing-speak that insults the intelligence of informed buyers, and just say the cars in production now will have 48A chargers but an upgrade to 72A chargers will be available for purchase as a service-center installed option in the future.

That's too simple and straightforward for Tesla. I think buyers confirming in 6-8 months will have the X that many of us hoped for.

I really don't know how to feel about it. It's possible they just don't want to see people delay early orders for a higher-current charger; then again, I don't think it is a big impact - it will pull some orders up while deferring others, and the result is net-zero.

I wouldn't be surprised if the long-term intention - right now - is to leave it at 48A permanently based on their charging data from Model S. The existing Model S charger (gen 3) can support 48A single-phase, and their existing lines can likely produce them for the Model X without too much of a change. There's likely not room to put a second charger in place, which would be an easy way to address this in a like-for-like manner w/ Model S.

I'm sure I'll do just fine with 48A. The pre-supercharger, pre-public-charger-coverage era led me to want the 80A at home for quick turnaround, but all of the use cases I had for 80A charging have practically disappeared with superchargers and public chargers at the airport. There is probably a small minority who have use cases that won't be covered, but how big is it?

...I'm sure I'll do just fine with 48A...
I doubt there will be any issues as well. On the once a year time I need to recharge quickly, the CHAdeMOs are only 5 and 10 minutes away from home. One is free, the other for fee. Any upgrade to 72 amps would cost more than using the fee based CHAdeMO a hundred times!

If Tesla Motors installs a Supercharger in Temecula, then that area is covered for the inland route to Comic-Con at San Diego next summer!

I doubt there will be any issues as well. On the once a year time I need to recharge quickly, the CHAdeMOs are only 5 and 10 minutes away from home. One is free, the other for fee. Any upgrade to 72 amps would cost more than using the fee based CHAdeMO a hundred times!

If Tesla Motors installs a Supercharger in Temecula, then that area is covered for the inland route to Comic-Con at San Diego next summer!
Not everyone lives in California. That's why I said the Tesla engineers really need to get out more.

That's too simple and straightforward for Tesla.

Ha!

I wouldn't be surprised if the long-term intention - right now - is to leave it at 48A permanently based on their charging data from Model S. The existing Model S charger (gen 3) can support 48A single-phase, and their existing lines can likely produce them for the Model X without too much of a change. There's likely not room to put a second charger in place, which would be an easy way to address this in a like-for-like manner w/ Model S.

I could see that. Maybe it's still on the list of offering some day, but now is along the lines of priority of 3rd party apps for the 17" :)

This is one of those things that it won't affect the vast majority of owners. But for those that it does it is a big deal and an unnecessary compromise if those owners are willing to pay extra for a bigger onboard charger. I hope they offer that 72A charger as an optional service center upgrade down the road at least.