Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated autopilot sucks!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You also risk the lives of others by speeding, yet no car manufacturer prevents that on public roads. Even worse, high speed is a feature that is advertised.

I agree with the points you made. I was just trying to make the point that it's not as simple as saying, let people use auto-pilot however they see fit, as they will assume all of the risk. There are laws that prohibit speeding and phone use while driving, which are the examples you gave. Certainly people don't always obey those rules. Things will be a little less murky as autonomous driving improves and laws are established to dictate what is allowed.

I for one do not keep my hands on the wheel when using auto pilot, and simply shake the wheel every so often to avoid the nags. I'd certainly prefer if they were less frequent, but I'm sure I'd become complacent (a concern of Elon's) if that were the case. I wish they would improve the hand detection, as that would solve a lot of issues. I like to keep my right arm on the arm rest, and very lightly grip the steering wheel, even driving other cars. AP never detects that I am actually holding the wheel.

Last edited:
Yes, the resistance of turning right or left on the wheel. I get how AP works. Our X almost needs enough pressure against the AP control to move the car in the lane.

I think there must be some hardware difference because too many people have no impact. Our X changed significantly after the update.
Yesterday or the day before I saw lady do a video about 2018.21.9 version. She was not happy about the nags. At the end of the video she said she had rebooted the car on the trip but after getting home her husband did as well. I am not sure which of the reboots they did but she said after that it was much better and was happy with the update.

I read other people on here say they reboot every time a new version is installed but I had not been doing it. However, I had an issue (not sure what now) but got in the habit of doing it. Couldn't hurt right. Which I also did for this version and my experience regarding nags is no different then in the past. I never see them.

Here is what I do after each firmware update. It might be worth a try for you since you seem to be part of a smaller group having this issue where you have always had a hand on the wheel and now that does not help as it did in the past.

1. Reboot the MCU. Hold 2 scroll wheels for about 30 seconds until Tesla Logo comes up.
2. Reboot the IC. Hold 2 buttons above scroll wheel for about 30 second until Tesla Log comes up.
3. From the Controls Screen "Power Off" the car and wait 3-5 minutes and then open the door to restart the car.

Like others I have a very light touch of resistance and I pretty much never get the Nag. Even now. My method is only 1 hand at either 4 or 5 and 7 or 8. When the wheel turns either left or right with the road I have a slight resistance as the wheel goes thru my hands. Or I might go with the turn with a little extra at the end. Or if a very long absolute straight with no steering wheel movement I might give a little movement myself in either direction. This movements have become so natural I really don't even think about it. This really should work even if you wife feels better with 2 hands on the wheel. It is the movement that is important not how many hands involved. Hope that helps.

If you're holding the steering wheel normally - and still getting the nags, report the problem to Tesla - and get them to fix it.

It's likely Tesla has overreacted (like they did when they disabled air suspension after the early accident with the trailer hitch) - and they'll have to back off a little on the hand sensing.

Or the issue is affecting only some of the cars - which could be an adjustment to get the detection at an acceptable level.

Tesla didn’t overreact, the media overreacted as did several owners (exactly like now). Tesla responded to that over reaction, which severely affected the stock price AND the EV narrative at a time when it could literally put Tesla out of business, by temporarily disallowing low suspension AND virtually overnight designing the titanium plate they put on every car at no expensive to the owner that put a stop to that particular problem ever happening again.

Currently the media has once again overreacted to a few crashes and subsequent deaths by inattentive drivers using AP inappropriately. Tesla is being crucified in the media. They also are being sued by family of the deceased and various government agencies are investigating the accidents. One of those agencies can make regulations that severely slowdown AP advancement.

Complaining as if this is Tesla’s fault is misplaced. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of inattentive drivers, those who don’t use AP properly and media dramatization.

However, this too shall pass and forgotten when the next thing to complain about surfaces.

Tesla didn’t overreact, the media overreacted as did several owners (exactly like now). Tesla responded to that over reaction, which severely affected the stock price AND the EV narrative at a time when it could literally put Tesla out of business, by temporarily disallowing low suspension AND virtually overnight designing the titanium plate they put on every car at no expensive to the owner that put a stop to that particular problem ever happening again.

Currently the media has once again overreacted to a few crashes and subsequent deaths by inattentive drivers using AP inappropriately. Tesla is being crucified in the media. They also are being sued by family of the deceased and various government agencies are investigating the accidents. One of those agencies can make regulations that severely slowdown AP advancement.

Complaining as if this is Tesla’s fault is misplaced. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of inattentive drivers, those who don’t use AP properly and media dramatization.

However, this too shall pass and forgotten when the next thing to complain about surfaces.

I understand what you're saying, but to say that these fatalities are entirely the fault of the drivers is not honest or fair in my opinion. If you're standing in line at Best Buy and reading e-mail on your phone, and I walk up behind you and slap the phone out of your hand, were you using your phone incorrectly? According to the folks who have survived these accidents, the steering wheel is forcefully wrenched from their grasp. It only takes a few hundred milliseconds to hit a concrete barrier if you're driving 3-6 feet from it. Human reaction times are around 400 milliseconds when expecting an event and probably closer to a full second when relaxed and not expecting anything.

A quick note here. I have that software update on my AP2 MX, and it is phenomenal. Autopilot is even smoother and more confident. New display of cars is nice. And no nag issue whatsoever. I even timed a hands off this morning on the 101 and it gave no nag for 30 seconds (then I put my hands back on the wheel before any warnings came). Not sure why others are having issues, but for me this is an excellent update.

Reactions: Krugerrand
I'm not sure why Tesla has to nanny their drivers. Just say Don't hold the steering wheel, drive at your own risk and expect to die! That's it.

Because irresponsible people who are now dead.

Tesla had already told people that AP is not hands off driving, yet still fruit and other dumb you tube stunts, yet still lawsuits, yet still government investigations.

That is why.

I understand what you're saying, but to say that these fatalities are entirely the fault of the drivers is not honest or fair in my opinion. If you're standing in line at Best Buy and reading e-mail on your phone, and I walk up behind you and slap the phone out of your hand, were you using your phone incorrectly? According to the folks who have survived these accidents, the steering wheel is forcefully wrenched from their grasp. It only takes a few hundred milliseconds to hit a concrete barrier if you're driving 3-6 feet from it. Human reaction times are around 400 milliseconds when expecting an event and probably closer to a full second when relaxed and not expecting anything.

Irrelevant.

And I’ve not read anything about survivors of concrete barrier smashups saying anything about the steering wheel forcefully being wrenched from their grasp. Nor would I necessarily believe them anyway since people notoriously like to try and cover up their foibles. It’s not what happened to Mr Brown in Florida, or the teenagers in Florida, or the other teenager who flipped their car, or the bout of people who hit a firetruck, a cop car and other various not moving vehicles, or, or, or.

Pay bloody attention when you drive. No individual owns the road or has a right or entitlement to endanger others. Use cars as they are intended, not the way you think they should be used. Stop driving aggressively. Be considerate of others. Leave early so you won’t be late where you’re going. Breathe. And quit complaining about every little thing that doesn’t go your way. You aren’t the center of the Universe. (General you)

Irrelevant.

And I’ve not read anything about survivors of concrete barrier smashups saying anything about the steering wheel forcefully being wrenched from their grasp. Nor would I necessarily believe them anyway since people notoriously like to try and cover up their foibles. It’s not what happened to Mr Brown in Florida, or the teenagers in Florida, or the other teenager who flipped their car, or the bout of people who hit a firetruck, a cop car and other various not moving vehicles, or, or, or.

Pay bloody attention when you drive. No individual owns the road or has a right or entitlement to endanger others. Use cars as they are intended, not the way you think they should be used. Stop driving aggressively. Be considerate of others. Leave early so you won’t be late where you’re going. Breathe. And quit complaining about every little thing that doesn’t go your way. You aren’t the center of the Universe. (General you)

You’re on point!

A perspective -- Autopilot was introduced mainly for highway driving with a agreement drivers remained responsible for driving, paying attention and responsible while driving the Tesla (this is acknowledged when you engage in controls). Then there was the driver in the sitting in the back seat taking pictures of the steering wheel and the car driving itself -- the front seat sensor was added to the mix. The Florida issue with the driver running under the tracker/trailer while using his phone driving on a surface street at a speed so high that after loosing the roof of the Tesla it continued at a high speed eventually crashing into a telephone pole -- the nagging software was updated with the surround lights and vibration coupled with the fact that should the be ignored the autopilot would be disabled -- oh the out cry of invasion of one's freedoms. After a few more incidents the limit of the speed in autopilot on surface streets to 5 mph of the posted speed limit -- more out cry about ones freedom to speed (albeit that Tesla doesn't limit the speed, just the use of Autopilot). Let's also mention the countless You Tubes of people showing their mothers, friends, neighbors of the Tesla driving itself with their hands off the steering wheel. More software upgrades to remind drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel with increasing levels of warning. Fast forward to the more recent 101 incident with the driver who died in the crash with the barrier in a construction zone while apparently ignoring the warnings repeatedly and his family suing Tesla over the death.

Now I read some here lobbying not to be "NAGGED", saying they will accept responsibility--opting out. I can imagine the unfortunate driver on the 101 accepted the responsibility before his death; however, his family is suing Tesla. Those who don't want to be nagged by taking the responsibility suggest it's their right seems to be forgetting they are not the only vehicles on the road. I hear the same from those texting with their phone while driving 70 mph. Tesla originally assumed "common-sense" would prevail and drivers would use auto pilot as designed (limited access roads) that was not the case for some owners. Repeatedly, Tesla has said AP is not autonomous driving yet, still some number of drivers push the envelope.

Unfortunately, Tesla has to find a point where the driver will pay more attention thus increased "nagging". For those getting more nagging with after installing 21.9, I respectively suggest examining your driving habits and make appropriate adjustments. In my 20,000 miles of high way driving the warning has only come on a few times usually because I wasn't giving enough input to the wheel. I never use auto pilot in construction zones--pavement markings change randomly or may be none existent. Pay attention always --- there has been no case where I could not take over when not comfortable or felt conditions required me driving (although the X maybe able to handle the situation). There are cases where the X can drive better than I, but my comfort level dictates that I drive (wet and night driving).

With the impending release of 9.0 for AP2 cars, more capability with be released -- but NOT Autonomous driving. I hope collectively we accept our responsibility to one another -- pay attention and be patient until we reach level 5 autonomy.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: vandacca