Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates on black MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats and really cool that turnaround between receiving VIN and scheduling delivery time is so short! Just curious, how did you receive your VIN? Email, text or source code?

Yeah, I was extremely surprised, especially since I never received any of the "Your Tesla will be built in the next 7-10 days" texts that other people were getting. I had no communication at all between when I completed payment info (March 2020) and this week. Anyways, I received a text asking to schedule delivery on Wednesday, and when I logged in online I saw the VIN. (I had been previously checking source every day, and it wasn't there.)

Other details: Black/black, LR AWD, No FSD, No tow hitch, 19" Gemini.

Yeah, I was extremely surprised, especially since I never received any of the "Your Tesla will be built in the next 7-10 days" texts that other people were getting. I had no communication at all between when I completed payment info (March 2020) and this week. Anyways, I received a text asking to schedule delivery on Wednesday, and when I logged in online I saw the VIN. (I had been previously checking source every day, and it wasn't there.)

Other details: Black/black, LR AWD, No FSD, No tow hitch, 19" Gemini.

So cool. I'm waiting on the same config as you up here in Seattle. My TA said I should get the text any day now. Might see you on the road one day on I-5! :)

Delivery moved up to 06/19 @ 1:00PM Mountain time!
Update: vehicle arrived in SLC this morning, but during inspection they discovered a dent in a quarter panel. Gave me 3 options:

1. Allow them to repair, then take delivery
2. Take delivery, then have repair done at body shop at their expense
3. He identified a new VIN with same configuration rolling off the line, so can swap to that and they should have to SLC by Sunday evening.

Chose option 3! A slightly longer wait, but more peace of mind.

Edit: was just replaced with 18xxx

Last edited:
Update: vehicle arrived in SLC this morning, but during inspection they discovered a dent in a quarter panel. Gave me 3 options:

3. He identified a new VIN with same configuration rolling off the line, so can swap to that and they should have to SLC by Sunday evening.

Ok new update haha. They called back and said another with the same exact configuration was delivered on the same truck this morning, has no transport damage. Apparently the owner that was supposed to take delivery informed them that he/she would be out of the country for some weeks, so they’ve re-assigned his VIN to me and we’re back on track for the 1pm delivery today!

Model Y - LR Black/Black 19" : VIN 12XXX (newbie here trying to put in as much info as possible if it helps.)

1) Ordered 2/2/2020
2) Text recvd : 6/2 - We expect your Y to be delivered within 2-4 weeks
3) Text recvd : 6/11 - Your Model Y is on its way to delivery center
4) Text recvd : 6/12 - Schedule your delivery - I scheduled for 6/25 and confirmed

Ok new update haha. They called back and said another with the same exact configuration was delivered on the same truck this morning, has no transport damage. Apparently the owner that was supposed to take delivery informed them that he/she would be out of the country for some weeks, so they’ve re-assigned his VIN to me and we’re back on track for the 1pm delivery today!
Wow. Go buy a lottery ticket, now! Cognrats!

Wonder what happens to the repaired car at that point? Presented to another customer as if nothing happened? In other words, the "there is another one with same configuration" could be someone's repaired car.

Although I dont see any problems with that, there are always a few that get damaged during assembly/manufacturing, that are repaired on the spot and roll off the line as brand new. Its like assembling anything... you mess up, you fix it and pretend it never happened.

I think what I am trying to say is that a flawwless paint/fit/finish with a bent fender that they fix is in my book a better one, than no dents but has dust in paint or alignment issues.

Thought everyone might enjoying seeing a Black/White Model Y. It’s not mine (I picked up a Black/Black), but this was next to mine at the delivery center. Have to say the White interior looks great - really pops with the contrast to the Black exterior

Attachments

• D769006C-5BC7-48C8-8277-4DEFA0D654A1.jpeg
    D769006C-5BC7-48C8-8277-4DEFA0D654A1.jpeg
    594 KB · Views: 95
  • 0EA5A5FE-B4F5-476A-8C90-2569AB9FA29F.jpeg
    0EA5A5FE-B4F5-476A-8C90-2569AB9FA29F.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 00F279A6-2319-4F68-8442-E9F87F8E5A05.jpeg
    00F279A6-2319-4F68-8442-E9F87F8E5A05.jpeg
    622.4 KB · Views: 69
Ordered MY Blk/Blk LR AWD on May 18th. Received 2-4 weeks text on June 2nd. Got another text saying I will be issued with VIN & MVPA in 2 weeks on June 12th. Got another text June 14th saying my MY will be ready for delivery near the end of June. So hopefully I get VIN assigned in the next couple days and get delivery date towards end of the month? We will see!

Took delivery (black/black AWD, 19", FSD, 12XXX) on Wed and I inspected it very carefully. Honestly compared to the bad stories we've been reading, My Y was in very good shape. Much better than my M3 was when I got it. A few panel gaps, that's it. Being fixed next week. Got the car ceramic coated and filmed the front bumper. Looks amazing and will post pictures.
Delivery quality is not all gloom and doom.

Reactions: DaBucketKicker
Also got mine today! The car is wonderful, quality is generally good but there's definitely some issues that clearly shouldn't be there and dampen the excitement a little bit: Some oil marks on the headliner, some gaps and other minor paint things. Tesla claims they will fix all of them so I had no problem accepting delivery. While a bit annoying, the flaws are were not deal breakers, and as long as the service team makes things right I'll have no complaints going forward. Very happy to finally have a BEV!