Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates on black MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To confirm, I should be checking the source code for something that starts with 5YJ, correct? That's what I've read on everything.
I just ran across a post from @ChrisTes where he describes how you can search the source code for the start date and time of your car's build, if it has started. Here's a link to @ChrisTes's post: Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker Spreadsheet

Edit:
I just checked this method against the delivery date of my Model Y and my delivery date is 3 days before the BUILD_TAG date in the source code, so this appears not to be an accurate way to determine the car's build date.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: geraldineinsf
Got text stating that they expect to deliver mine 28-30 of June. Blk/Blk, ordered April 28.

Just had the chance to sit down on the computer and check the source. Even though they will supposedly delivery 6 to 8 days from right now... still no VIN in source.

Yup just got one 28th-30th. Don’t see vin or mvpa on my account though

Are you in So Cal? Picking up from Costa Mesa? If so, our Black/Black could be on the same Truck :)

.....and?
well !! there were no issues with the car except one panel little misaligned .. which I have scheduled the service for on july 1. overall really happy with the car and build quality...

Attachments

• IMG_7710(1).jpeg
    IMG_7710(1).jpeg
    645.6 KB · Views: 110
Because this group has been a great resource (and emotional support! ;)), I was wondering if you could weigh in on PPF/ceramic coating... I know NOTHING about that, and came across some info on this forum... Looking for resources (good threads that you found here?) and your thoughts on the need for it. What kind of work would you recommend doing on the car? And bonus points for SF Bay Area recs.

I take a lot of trips to the mountains, so am concerned about small rocks in particular...

Reactions: MYBGuy90
Because this group has been a great resource (and emotional support! ;)), I was wondering if you could weigh in on PPF/ceramic coating... I know NOTHING about that, and came across some info on this forum... Looking for resources (good threads that you found here?) and your thoughts on the need for it. What kind of work would you recommend doing on the car? And bonus points for SF Bay Area recs.

I take a lot of trips to the mountains, so am concerned about small rocks in particular...

Paint protection file will protect your vehicle from rockchips, minor scratches by applying clear protectant film over your exterior (can be wrapped individual panels/parts)

Ceramic coating will protect your car’s paint from oxidizing, preventing it from fading and wearing a dull look. This is critical if you park your car outside. Easier maintenance, repels water = easier to wash your car. If you decide to go with ceramic coat I highly recommend getting paint correction prior to applying ceramic coat :) im not from SF but I heard great things about @svautopros

Blk/Blk AWD LR FSD No Hitch 19" Vin: 17XXX (Order Date: 3/2019)

Vin in source code and delivery appointment text received on 6/17/20.

I took delivery yesterday afternoon (6/21/20) in Burbank. We spent over two hours documenting and photographing all the things we found wrong with the MY. Ultimately, the problems found did not rise to the level of rejecting the car. Here are the things that we encountered when inspecting the MY:

Exterior:
1. Minor paint scrapes or missing paint under the frunk, quarter panels, and door sills.
2. Rear trunk is misaligned.
3. Black trim gaps on the lower rear bumper
4. Glue needs removal from door ledges
5. Protective shipping tape needs removal from under the rear quarter panel. (I was unable to remove on my own)
6. Scratches on the lower matte portion of rear bumper
7. Window trim is uneven

Interior:
1. Rear passenger seat does not fall forward with rear trunk release button. (See details below.)
2. Grease fingerprints found on crown ceiling liner
3. Rear trunk floor panel is not flush against other floor panel
4. Glue needs removal from crown ceiling liner

In detail, the passenger side rear seat is slow to release and falls forward when it is set in the upright position. However, the seat will not fall forward when it is reclined. You can hear the release mechanism trying to release the seat, but nothing happens in the reclined position. The driver side rear seat drops as soon as you pull the lever without issue either in the upright or reclined position. Therefore, I would test the seat release buttons in both positions.

Date assembled: 06/2020

Attachments

• IMG_4522.jpg
    IMG_4522.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4525.jpg
    IMG_4525.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 80

Let me know if you get more details . even I was digging more info ..

here are the quotes i got for bay area

$1900
-Bumper
-Full Hood
-Full Fenders
-Headlights
-Mirrors

The way I work is different compare with other installers, because I am the only one work on your car from the beginging to the end, that is why I can not do the one day job like others, beside that is not the right way to work on clear bra. I am Warriors and Raiders owner's installer, the job quality you are looking for will be right, I have demo car if you would like to take a look. My warranty for bubbling and lifting is life time as long as you own the car, I use computer patterns so there is no blade cutting on your car. one thing I can not reuse is the front emblem, and Tesla need owner's personal info to buy it, so my customers usually get it from the dealership when they take delivery, Thank you.

Best Regards,

Yu Tun Wang
ShieldTec
(510) 258-8888

Yes I do a ton of Tesla 3s! How much coverage were you looking for? If you're looking for full front end coverage (full hood,fenders, front bumper, lights, mirrors, door edges) Its $1495 installed and I'd need the car overnight, or the full car for $4500, and I do all necessary paint correction prior to the installation, and as of right now Im scheduling about 1 week out. Let me know if you have any other questions, and feel free to call or come by anytime as well if you'd like to see an install since Im always working on a Tesla. Thanks!
Jeremy
650-394-5755

For your 4 door Tesla Model Y, our prices start at $350 for the two back doors and all the windows behind it, including the rear windshield (ONE PIECE-all the way to the sunroof). If you are looking at the front 2 as well, our prices usually run an additional $200 . Currently, we are running a discount of $75 OFF if you get the full car tinted, it will be $475 for all the side windows and rear windshield. If you're looking to upgrade to our Ceramic or Nano Ceramic Series for better infrared and heat rejection, the price is $675. Package does not include front windshield, sunroof and/or moonroof. The Front windshield is $295 for premium films or $345 for ceramic films.

We have 6 different shades you can choose from our exclusive, dealers only films; Solargard or Llumar films. Our shades range from 80% to Limo tint 5%, you can mix and match any shades you want. When you come in we will go over all the different film series of films, shades and heat rejections with you. We also carry top of the line Xpel Prime, Huper Optik and 3M Crystalline ceramic films, if you want a quote for either.

Mr. Tint has been in business since 1986 and we take pride in our work. All of our window film work comes with a lifetime warranty for any bubbling, peeling, as well as our workmanship. As for how long it will take, normally we ask for 3-4 hours for the full car install but your car is a bit harder to install, so we ask for 5 hours.

In addition to tint, we also provide paint protection clear bra- a thick yet invisible clear film that protects against rock chips and paint discoloration/fading and Ceramic Pro Coating. Should you be interested in a quote, please let us know.

If you have any questions or for available appointment times, please feel free to contact us via email or call us at 408-247-8468.

Thanks,

Christina

--

"Like" us on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/mr.tintsanjose

Mr. Tint, Inc.
3657 Stevens Creek Blvd.
Santa Clara, CA 95051
(408) 247-TINT (8468)
www.mistertint.com

And thanks for reaching out! As for pricing and service please forgive my copy and paste here and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you so much!

Thanks for reaching out. Sure I can give you a quote to get the following done for your model Y. You can see a gallery of all of the Model Y we have worked on here,

Tesla Model Y

mWcYBGzyItOmqPBWk9B9MJKBPXjlf8CAXUQs85tQx0G1oaN2eaVlv_DFGFLSF-YQg5o=s0-d-e1-ft

Powder Coat is $225/per wheel. Most popular option has been either Satin Black or Turbine Grey.

k-5e7nKDd33eaXq5RUtKYZvcqpYkwCF23XJ7sy-ASsCi7PqbtHyS_ioKCxmJAeWXvuw=s0-d-e1-ft

Center Console is $300 to wrap and Satin Black has been the most popular choice. Adding in the wood trim to wrap is $200 additional.
-
Here's a video of Joe explaining the difference,
Tesla Model 3 - Ceramic Coatings vs. Clear Bra

Here's a video of our team installing paint protection film with XPEL Stealth on Model Y,
Tesla Model Y: Up close and personal with PPF Installation

Best value we offer here is a 100% full custom wrap in either gloss or stealth and cost $8k out the door. That would includes the CQuartz Finest Reserve prep work and coating on top of all the film areas, wheels, brake calipers, glass, and trim. Highly recommended if you are looking for the ultimate protection for your Model Y.

-
1Tp9yf5vO6rQMsO_LMlGoZBJfeioWZDIVEio274GT4h9-aDcwG6LSBeZi6MAlj-r50o=s0-d-e1-ft

1Yk2_SIhpkZgImhEbaDyBYjoT14yX7l7lOLggAia7obp6imA4lfo8AQ_WeKOmdI61tU=s0-d-e1-ft

If you are looking to prevent rock chips we also offer Stek DYNOshield Paint Protection Film, our front end package covers:

Preparation:
Decontamination Wash
Clay Bar on Panels Getting Film
Paint Correction on Panels Getting Film

Paint Protection Film: (10 years warranty)
-Full Hood
-Full Fenders
-Full Front Bumper
-Headlights
-Fog Lights
-Front of Side Mirrors
-Loading Deck Strip

Basic Sealant Coating on Paint Protection Film (6-12 months, then wax the car like normal after if no CQuartz Finest Reserve or Opti-Coat Pro Plus coating on top)
This is $2500 installed with all edges possible wrapped and includes the coating application on the film as well. Like your paint, coating the Stek DYNOshield Paint Protection Film will make your film easy to maintain. For gloss installation and prefer Stek DYNOshield Paint Protection Film for superior gloss, minimal orange peel, and less film defects than other glossy films. For Satin/Matte we prefer XPEL Stealth.

NmaxixlBvpgivEebfkhgVOtFcsVVI_Q3H9CPDiNTK4YCVgpJinJQ1QQa866Q47-52sM=s0-d-e1-ft

-
-
=
-
-
What is paint correction? Here's a video of Joe explaining how we do it here,
Tesla Model Y - How Tesla Doesn't Deliver It - Before and After Paint Correction
-IfyOhrKGMbyTNJq9Oq_TRhA1_61t_yaj4svLJn0P_gnx_h0Ha478wAAmN-0K5u5TsU=s0-d-e1-ft

Here is a break down of service of pricing for CQuartz Finest Reserve. Forgive my copy and paste I send this out a lot.

My prep work prior to coating and this includes:
http://bayareadetails.com/Paint Correction.html
-Paint correction to remove surface defects and brighten the paint up to the highest possible level
-Removing and polishing wheel barrels (inside) and faces
-Polishing painted calipers (if they are painted)
-Deep cleaning fender liners
-Polishing all glass
-Polishing all metal
-Polishing the light covers
-Deep cleaning the plastic trim around the bottom of car and wheel arches.

The coating application is an addition and that covers:

-CQuartz Finest Reserve on all the painted surfaces IR cured for maximum hardness and gloss
-CQuartz Finest Reserve on all the wheels, suspension, and calipers
-FlyByForte glass coating on all exterior glass
-Car Pro Dlux permanent trim coating on the plastic trim around the car and the windshield cowl to prevent plastic from fading or looking old

We have the option of doing the interior with CQuartz Leather and Fabric protection you could read about here if you like for an addition 500$ and that includes the prep work of a full interior detail. So total on coating the exterior is $2500 and it’ll take 2-3 days depending on condition.
M5FyOszs4_NYEWslbMcDNMeU4PemOfNx7otYQi_PO2P-eZt6WbZ3zN0j6i91QykqiqA=s0-d-e1-ft

-
-
=
-
-
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thank you.

Item Cost
Front End - Paint Protection Film $2,500.00
CQuartz Finest Reserve $2,500.00
Best Value
Full PPF Wrap - 100% Custom Install $8,000.00
Includes CQuartz Finest Reserve

Powder Coat Wheels $900.00
Center Console Wrap $300.00

--
ga__5ft32QTCZTHzqKkddz7zEOWifl4QmAyoKezF-tnNqNeBWNM2r49V9SNGdadDwHI=s0-d-e1-ft

OCDetailing Team
PPF & Paint Protection

p: (925) 273-7487
a: 37451 Jansen Ter, Fremont, CA 94536
www.OCDetailing.com
e: [email protected]

Yup just got one 28th-30th. Don’t see vin or mvpa on my account though
well !! there were no issues with the car except one panel little misaligned .. which I have scheduled the service for on july 1. overall really happy with the car and build quality...

Looks gorgeous! What are your plans with the wheel covers? Gonna keep them? Paint them? Change them out?

This is my own personal opinion, so take it for what you want. But I feel like coatings/wraps are a bit of a snake oil. Ive read that Tesla's paint once hardened is no more prone to fading/cracking/peeling etc than any other manufacturer's paint. So if you have never had any problems with paint on your cars in the area that you live in then you will be fine.

The way I look at it. Cost of some of these jobs is as much as just a new paint job. And Id rather do that in 10 years than spend the money up front. Heck I may not have the car in 10 years. I live in Southern California and one of my cars is 18 years old. The paint on that thing is perfect (it was parked outside for 12 of those years). And heck, if something happens to the paint, well then wrap it at that point. The faded or whatever paint will be under the wrap anyways. But covering a perfectly good looking paint under a wrap... i dunno I dont get it. The only reason I see to do it is if you want to change the color.

protective film also if scratched in certain ways (like a car parked next to you jamming their door into your car) can lift/stretch the film, making it look ugly as hell and not really fixable without redoing that section. Much easier to do a paint touch up.

Just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own right :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Keester97
I have an appointment for Xpel PPF on the front hood, bumper, mirrors, fenders and headlights. I'm having him also do the lower rocker panels on both sides of the car in case rocks come of either tire and hit the paint. I'm also having him put the film on the top of the rear bumper so I don't scratch the paint putting things in the hatch area. Lastly, I'm adding tint to the front windows and a light ceramic tint to the windshield. I live in SoCal and the heat is a killer....