Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tax credit certainly has some impact on demand. Even small product discounts are proven to stimulate demand.

Musk has mentioned the model Y and now a lower priced car - the model 2. Both are demand simulators. Tesla intends to aggressively build capacity into a world of decreasing EV discounts. They certainly carefully consider the implications of an expiring tax credit in the U.S.

Reactions: bhzmark
LOL.

Be honest: it’s not a discount. It’s not a Costco rebate-taken-at-the-register. It’s a credit against tax liability claimable the next year. Everyone pays retail for a Tesla, no exceptions.

not just claimable next year, If you have a steady income you can change your withholdings and get that money back in a few months instead of waiting a year. The end of year is when you balance it all out. You can withhold or not withhold that much until then.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of very happy Canadians receiving their Model 3 in June. Surely there are enough Canada orders to fill Tesla's dance card for June. If they keep in under 200,000 that would give another whole quarter of US deliveries to get subsidized by taxpayers.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
not just claimable next year, If you have a steady income you can change your withholdings and get that money back in a few months instead of waiting a year. The end of year is when you balance it all out. You can withhold or not withhold that much until then.
Even better, you can change the withholdings before buying the car, if you anticipate taking delivery in the same tax year.

Reactions: dhanson865
The tax credit certainly has some impact on demand. Even small product discounts are proven to stimulate demand.

Musk has mentioned the model Y and now a lower priced car - the model 2. Both are demand simulators. Tesla intends to aggressively build capacity into a world of decreasing EV discounts. They certainly carefully consider the implications of an expiring tax credit in the U.S.

Hello...can you point me to this Model 2 announcement? My google must be broken because I can find no such mention.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of very happy Canadians receiving their Model 3 in June. Surely there are enough Canada orders to fill Tesla's dance card for June. If they keep in under 200,000 that would give another whole quarter of US deliveries to get subsidized by taxpayers.
There are only 10 Tesla stores in Canada. How many cars could they deliver in one month? 40 a day * 10 * 30 days = 12,000. I guess that's possible.
I'm getting a little worried I'm going to be paying an extra $3750 for AWD. Oh well. My estimate still says Mid 2018. Hopefully that means September.

Tesla only did 8180 Model 3 last quarter with 2040 in transit to customer and the analyst is expecting 30K delivered this quarter? I don't think Tesla made more than 30K Model 3 this quarter as of now.

Take another look at the Model 3 ramp in 2Q18 ... the trend indicates over 6,000 deliveries based on a survey of US locations :cool:

InkedMay 2018 US sales_LI.jpg

Reactions: Arpe