Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed...Tesla should have managed inventory. Here is how the 2018 numbers look based on the article:
Additional 11,350 US deliveries in June plus 194,021 recorded through May for a cumulative total 205,371.

Note that InsideEV's estimated the numbers and are waiting for Tesla to confirm ... Why We Believe Tesla Passed 200k U.S. Deliveries in June
"We will provide additional updates as we parse the info released by Tesla. We also reached out to them regarding the 200,000th sale and will update this article if we receive a comment."

View attachment 314188
I am not buying the number. There are empirical evidences that delivery slowed down dramatically, delivery being told what car and when to deliver and lots filled with Model 3.

Possibly why they "encouraged" purchases prior to July 1... lock people in...

I'm at least a solid 8/10 on the Tesla fanboy scale, and if it turns out that they did this, knowing they had already passed 200k and not telling anyone, after Elon's tweet that they would "do the right thing," and still quoting $7500 tax credits on the order page with a 3-5 month delivery time... I would seriously consider canceling my delivery on Friday, eating the $3.5k and going and buying a Bolt.

A large part of the allure of Tesla is it's appeal as a non-scumbaggy company that is worthy of a little personal risk, even if they do have trouble getting things exactly right sometimes. The damage such a thing would do to their brand would be incalculable, FAR beyond any short-term benefit from locking in a few thousand more order deposits. They have to know that, if anyone there could have even been tempted to consider it in the first place.

I'm at least a solid 8/10 on the Tesla fanboy scale, and if it turns out that they did this, knowing they had already passed 200k and not telling anyone, after Elon's tweet that they would "do the right thing," and still quoting $7500 tax credits on the order page with a 3-5 month delivery time... I would seriously consider canceling my delivery on Friday, eating the $3.5k and going and buying a Bolt.

A large part of the allure of Tesla is it's appeal as a non-scumbaggy company that is worthy of a little personal risk, even if they do have trouble getting things exactly right sometimes. The damage such a thing would do to their brand would be incalculable, FAR beyond any short-term benefit from locking in a few thousand more order deposits. They have to know that, if anyone there could have even been tempted to consider it in the first place.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Reactions: Runt8
I am not buying the number. There are empirical evidences that delivery slowed down dramatically, delivery being told what car and when to deliver and lots filled with Model 3.
Even worse is there's no incentive for Tesla to correct the articles math, at least not in the near term. It creates a sense of urgency to order a P if you only wanted AWD.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
and guess what just showed up on my facebook…if that's not stocking up for 200K Q3, I don't what else it is..

upload_2018-7-2_22-7-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-2_22-5-9.png
    upload_2018-7-2_22-5-9.png
    319 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Exactly what I'm thinking - other than buying a bolt, I don't think I could bring myself to do that...

I'm 35, with hopefully many car buying years ahead of me. That sort of thing could sour me on a brand for life.

• Disagree
Reactions: xyeahtony
Everyone is freaking out over a click bait article that hasn't been substantiated by any other news source. Calm down and lets lighten up on the "im cancelling my reservation" drama.

I would seriously consider canceling my delivery on Friday, eating the $3.5k and going and buying a Bolt.

Lets just say for arguments sake they hit 200k in the 2nd quarter. You do know you'd still get the full $7500 by September 30th? Theres a high chance any order now will get you a delivery by then based on the stockpile of Model 3s., and if you have a delivery scheduled for Friday then you'd get the tax credit.

And even if they didn't and you ended up with the 3750 tax credit instead, you would forgo that and get a bolt instead? Wouldn't that $3500 you lost on Tesla cut that tax rebate in half anyways evening out what you would've gotten in a far superior car?

But hey, I guess supercharging network, autopilot, glass roof, and a 4.6 second 0-60 time isn't for everyone. Hope you enjoy your city car. If you want to stick it to Elon and Tesla by cancelling your delivery that's your choice.

Everyone is freaking out over a click bait article that hasn't been substantiated by any other news source. Calm down and lets lighten up on the "im cancelling my reservation" drama.

Lets just say for arguments sake they hit 200k in the 2nd quarter. You do know you'd still get the full $7500 by September 30th? Theres a high chance any order now will get you a delivery by then based on the stockpile of Model 3s., and if you have a delivery scheduled for Friday then you'd get the tax credit.

And even if they didn't and you ended up with the 3750 tax credit instead, you would forgo that and get a bolt instead? Wouldn't that $3500 you lost on Tesla cut that tax rebate in half anyways evening out what you would've gotten in a far superior car?

But hey, I guess supercharging network, autopilot, glass roof, and a 4.6 second 0-60 time isn't for everyone. Hope you enjoy your city car. If you want to stick it to Elon and Tesla by cancelling your delivery that's your choice.

I think you missed his point.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
I think you missed his point.

his point was Tesla is a terrible douchey company if they did not tell anyone they hit the 200k mark in the 2nd quarter, never mind such an action would fly as an insult to the shareholders. Look how much the share price has dropped after the official delivery numbers were released. Could you imagine the downfall if people found out Tesla was purposely withholding deliveries? Thats why they've been mum about it.

You dont have to like a car company to enjoy a car, but to each their own.

• Disagree
Reactions: BenR and Runt8