Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB flash drives no longer recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a recent update, my USB flash drives are no longer recognized. The ports still have power and charge iPhones just fine. And the lights come on on drives that have them.

I've tried 2 flash drives that previously work, and even reformatted a small drive with only 10 MP3s on it, both exFAT and FAT32. The USB tab simply will not appear. These drives all work fine in my computer.

I searched and found a couple of other threads with USB problems, but none where there's still power to the port and occurring after this recent update on a Model S.

Any suggestions or people with similar problems??

After a recent update, my USB flash drives are no longer recognized. The ports still have power and charge iPhones just fine. And the lights come on on drives that have them.

I've tried 2 flash drives that previously work, and even reformatted a small drive with only 10 MP3s on it, both exFAT and FAT32. The USB tab simply will not appear. These drives all work fine in my computer.

I searched and found a couple of other threads with USB problems, but none where there's still power to the port and occurring after this recent update on a Model S.

What was the software that you installed.

Yeah, there are a few:

USB thumb drives no longer recognized

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

Did USB Music go away?

2020.12.5 software update issue

Latest update

Last edited:
There is a new 2020.12.10 software that fixes this USB issue introduced in 2020.12.5. Get the 2020.12.10 and your problems will be resolved.

I wish it was as easy at that, just say hey Tesla give me those bug fixes now heh? Please? My sentry mode alerted me, I dutifully clicked the 'view' choice but no videos could be found even though dash cam and sentry mode think they are working.

Sigh, it was all working so well prior to the broken 2020.12.5 I'm stuck on..

:) and :(

There is a new 2020.12.10 software that fixes this USB issue introduced in 2020.12.5. Get the 2020.12.10 and your problems will be resolved.

Thanks for this tip. I just checked my app and I indeed have the 2020.12.5 software. The 2020.12.10 update hasn't shown up yet. Is there any way to force it? I'm not really in any rush. I've only been getting out about once a week during this shutdown.

Thanks.

My sentry mode alerted me, I dutifully clicked the 'view' choice but no videos could be found even though dash cam and sentry mode think they are working.
Same issue here. I also get periodic reports that sentry mode is off line. A reboot returns both icons to the display, but the viewer still malfunctions.

Last edited:
What USB flash solution actually works flawlessly?
The failures aren't always due to the device hardware itself, so I don't think there's any such thing as the perfect USB storage device for the car. Incorrect device formatting and/or bugs in the car's software have a lot to do with these issues. That explains why brand XYZ recommended by one person may not work for another, and why a drive that has worked fine in the past may stop working after a software update.

I have same issue since having MCU replaced and updating software. USB previously worked. 2020.12.5 software

The 2020.12.11.5 update finally arrived for my 2013 Model S. This seems to have fixed the problem. My USB flash drives are now recognized and load and play songs. I did get a lockup by tapping a bunch of places to jump in and out of the loading screen and playback screen, but once all the songs were loaded, I had no problem.

I'm glad the programmers working in this area are not working on the critical code which controls the actual driving of the car or we might all be dead.

• Funny
Reactions: Knightowl