Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or as long as you have no regional UK accent (not just a Tesla issue though). Voice commands in many cars struggle with various UK accents, the difference is other cars have buttons / switches that don’t move around at some software guys whim🤷🏼‍♂️ Consequently they’re easier to live with ime. I hate voice control because it takes too many attempts to actually get what I want to actually happen. Apparently I wanted to call Hannah Montana the other day when I actually wanted to call my wife (who isn’t called Hannah Montana🤪

The car sensed who you really were thinking of calling. It’s the all knowing neural network, after all.

It may not know how to work the wipers, but it knows what’s on your mind. 😄

• Funny
Reactions: COS Blue
Or as long as you have no regional UK accent (not just a Tesla issue though). Voice commands in many cars struggle with various UK accents, the difference is other cars have buttons / switches that don’t move around at some software guys whim🤷🏼‍♂️ Consequently they’re easier to live with ime. I hate voice control because it takes too many attempts to actually get what I want to actually happen. Apparently I wanted to call Hannah Montana the other day when I actually wanted to call my wife (who isn’t called Hannah Montana🤪
Easy fix, just rename your wife.

Or even more mundane items such as access to the cabin air filters on the Model 3 and the “what were they thinking” removal of the top screw.

Post-warranty Tesla repairs do not appear to be inexpensive, especially for things like battery replacement and body damage.

Changing the HEPA filter in the Model S isn't easy either. You have to remove the frunk to get at it.

Replacing the 12V battery isn't super tough if you bend the bracket. If you want to remove the bracket holding the battery, you have to tear apart a bunch of other stuff to get at one bolt.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
The car sensed who you really were thinking of calling. It’s the all knowing neural network, after all.

It may not know how to work the wipers, but it knows what’s on your mind. 😄
Hmmmm, hadn’t thought of it that way. Couple of issue though, I still don’t know who Hannah Montana is or what she looks like and secondly why the feck would I want to call her when I have a wife who’s 24yr younger than me anyway🤔🤣

I have half a notion that Tesla will undo the damage of V11. They might release V12 with customizable icons which is probably acceptable to many critics of the V11.

Elon is famously competitive, but I don’t know how much he cares about this particular issue.
He used to be, now he just doesn't care as the money is not an issue anymore. He has muted effectively everyone from twitter that does not do full-time FSD or stock price praising. Real and honest feedback doesn't seem to be of interest. I'm not at all sure he even cares about the products at this point - or even about the customers.

There are many elements in the car software that have become abandonware as all the focus is being put into the FSD adventure that will not be anything real where I live for years to come, if ever. Even very basic things like auto wipers, auto high beam, speed limit recognition etc that really don't work at all and nothing is being done to these issues. There are attempts to address the phantom braking by removing parts from the assembly (the radar) but things certainly did not improve on that front either.

He used to be, now he just doesn't care as the money is not an issue anymore. He has muted effectively everyone from twitter that does not do full-time FSD or stock price praising. Real and honest feedback doesn't seem to be of interest. I'm not at all sure he even cares about the products at this point - or even about the customers.

There are many elements in the car software that have become abandonware as all the focus is being put into the FSD adventure that will not be anything real where I live for years to come, if ever. Even very basic things like auto wipers, auto high beam, speed limit recognition etc that really don't work at all and nothing is being done to these issues. There are attempts to address the phantom braking by removing parts from the assembly (the radar) but things certainly did not improve on that front either.
Yes, it is time for him him to spin off all the automation stuff, go play with it (he will be very good at that) and get a real CEO for Tesla. Unfortunately, it will take a serious event that will affect the stock before the shareholders/board take action. The real question is what the residual value of our cars will be if there is such event.
The company has outgrown him.

Reactions: Msjulie and kavyboy
Yes, it is time for him him to spin off all the automation stuff, go play with it (he will be very good at that) and get a real CEO for Tesla. Unfortunately, it will take a serious event that will affect the stock before the shareholders/board take action. The real question is what the residual value of our cars will be if there is such event.
The company has outgrown him.
It seems like that you want Tesla to become just another automobile manufacturer...remember when Apple first lost Steve Jobs...a visionary company needs a visionary boss. Some want to lose all that in return for a dealership in their town and quick service appointments. My council is be careful what you wish for...

It seems like that you want Tesla to become just another automobile manufacturer...remember when Apple first lost Steve Jobs...a visionary company needs a visionary boss. Some want to lose all that in return for a dealership in their town and quick service appointments. My council is be careful what you wish for...
I know almost nothing of the man, but I would would be very happy to see J. B. Straubel and Elon swap places, then hear that Elon is taking an 18-month sabbatical from Tesla. Never gonna happen, but I am just putting that out there as something I don't fear wishing for.

I know almost nothing of the man, but I would would be very happy to see J. B. Straubel and Elon swap places, then hear that Elon is taking an 18-month sabbatical from Tesla. Never gonna happen, but I am just putting that out there as something I don't fear wishing for.
Except to swap places with J B Straubel, Elon would already have to jump ship to Redwood Materials so the 18 month sabbatical from Tesla would be moot.:)

Visionary in what respect? Elon’s vision about EV was awesome and I would be more than happy for him to continue to be visionary in the EV space. Most founders have a relatively short attention span, which is beneficial when you start a company, but detrimental when you are “crossing the chasm”. Also, scaling up a company requires very, very different mindset.

Elon is distracted with the whole automation/robots/AI thing. And I think he could be visionary and very successful there. However, that distraction is detrimental for the EV business. The mass customer would not care about robotaxis but clearly they care about cost, and quality of product and service. Currently, they are focused on AI at the expense of what the mass customer wants - which is dangerous because the EV funds the AI venture.

Do you know that in Norway - the country where 80% of new cars are EV - Tesla is not as dominant as in other markets? That is because the mass customer cares about EV more than the AI vision that Elon has.

The comparison with Apple is not appropriate. Apple was taken over by bureaucrats who were focused on the bottom line only. Don’t you find it ironic how much Tesla changed when Elon’s compensation structure changed?

Yes, he was an EV visionary and he is probably an AI visionary, but Tesla now needs another EV visionary to take it to the next level. Elon is currently a distraction. Did you see the last earnings call? He was blabbering about robotaxis and robots while the rest of the management team was trying to keep the conversation on point about the new factories, batteries, scale, etc.

I want Tesla to stop intentionally making my car worse. I don't see how that is going to happen with Elon still there, so yes, I want him gone.

Elon’s vision about EV was awesome...
Most founders have a relatively short attention span...

Yes, he was an EV visionary and he is probably an AI visionary...

Did you see the last earnings call? He was blabbering about robotaxis and robots while the rest of the management team was trying to keep the conversation on point about the new factories, batteries, scale, etc.
What was Elon Musk's "vision" about EVs and how was it different from any other EV leader? I would suggest it wasn't any different. It's basically the same "global warming sucks, so let's start replacing gas cars with electric ones."...? Yes, Elon, thanks...that's the point. We all knew that already. Not super "visionary."

Also, Elon Musk wasn't a founder of Tesla. For the 1000th time, he bought in later and forced the actual founders to start calling him that. In fact, I believe he *sued* them to get the title he wanted.

Elon Musk is an "AI visionary" ??? Really? In what way? What has he envisioned or enunciated that hasn't been discussed by AI researchers and SciFi writers for a generation? Genuinely interested in what unique visionary elements Elon Musk as contributed to the field of AI research.

Definitely agree with you that he wants to be seen and remembered as some sort of cutting-edge thinker, so he blabbers on and on about things he really doesn't have any experience with or expertise in. He's been predicting things are "a few months away" for over a decade...lol. And even the things he's supposed to know about, like automotive multi-sensor fusion, he's usually totally wrong about.

Reactions: DeepFrz
Except to swap places with J B Straubel, Elon would already have to jump ship to Redwood Materials so the 18 month sabbatical from Tesla would be moot.:)
JB is still in a consultancy position with Tesla. That should be Elon's job. I am sure Elon has valuable insight. I just don't want him calling the shots.
Of course, this is just my opinion - the opinion of a virtual know-nothing on the subject on a Sunday afternoon on the middle of a three-day weekend. I'm probably talking rubbish. :D

Reactions: Ciaopec
1645412969979.png

I actually feel most software app interfaces are designed by sadists, nowadays. 😌

Steve Jobs, in 1998:

”That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: you have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”

I doubt most of the UX people even understand this concept.

Even Apple itself. The infamous iTunes update that made the earlier simple and elegant version become inexplicably complicated.

Nowadays every interface is aiming to look ‘cool’. Not ‘simple and intuitive’.

What was Elon Musk's "vision" about EVs and how was it different from any other EV leader? I would suggest it wasn't any different. It's basically the same "global warming sucks, so let's start replacing gas cars with electric ones."...? Yes, Elon, thanks...that's the point. We all knew that already. Not super "visionary."

Also, Elon Musk wasn't a founder of Tesla. For the 1000th time, he bought in later and forced the actual founders to start calling him that. In fact, I believe he *sued* them to get the title he wanted.

Elon Musk is an "AI visionary" ??? Really? In what way? What has he envisioned or enunciated that hasn't been discussed by AI researchers and SciFi writers for a generation? Genuinely interested in what unique visionary elements Elon Musk as contributed to the field of AI research.

Definitely agree with you that he wants to be seen and remembered as some sort of cutting-edge thinker, so he blabbers on and on about things he really doesn't have any experience with or expertise in. He's been predicting things are "a few months away" for over a decade...lol. And even the things he's supposed to know about, like automotive multi-sensor fusion, he's usually totally wrong about.
He created the EV market - whether visionary or not, he deserves some credit for it. It could be debated whether he is a visionary in AI space but certainly it would be better for him to go there rather than staying with Tesla.
For now, the stock price is high, investors are happy, so nothing much will happen. However, there are quite a few negative things brewing at the moment and any of them could become a pretty significant event, especially with Elon’s lack of experience and working style.
I care for two reasons: emotionally, I like the original mission (not exactly clear what is the mission now) and, practically, I don’t want to end up with a worthless paperweight of a car.