Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if that wasn't the case before V11
Still on v10. Just checked:

With HVAC off, defrost press (turns blue) kicks on the HVAC on current temp, blasting at windshield only. Second press (turns red), goes to HI/AUTO. Third press leaves HVAC ON, at last setting re temp, air flow, etc.

I'd prefer third press went back to previous (off if it was off), just cleaner to understand.

I got the one that makes v11 marginally less shitty, but the icons are still 5x5 pixels.

And now, once again, for the 200th time, my XM next/back buttons change channels and NOT the favorites.

WHY is everything so hard for this company? my 2009 Tahoe; XM worked 100% fine for TEN YEARS, and I assume STILL works after I sold it.
The company has grown complacent.

I got the one that makes v11 marginally less shitty, but the icons are still 5x5 pixels.

And now, once again, for the 200th time, my XM next/back buttons change channels and NOT the favorites.

WHY is everything so hard for this company? my 2009 Tahoe; XM worked 100% fine for TEN YEARS, and I assume STILL works after I sold it.
I just got v11 today, older version. Finally gave in, need to take it in next week for service anyway. Not nearly as bad as I imagined. Radio presets advance through radio only, don't jump to anything else.

Font size seems fine. Map legibility is great.

And what icons look small to you? They seem identical sized to v10 to me, having just switched today.

Still happy I waited this long, skipped weeks/months with a lot of early bugs. Tesla Service has agreed to update to at least 22.8.x, to fix a recall thing (boom box or something). Hoping they go all the way to 12.x for the heck of it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Sad day! I finally got the update announcement and installed it ASAP. But that only got me to 2022.8.3. Still waiting for 2022.12.1. By the time I get it, I may not need seat heaters for another 6 months. :confused:

We need them here right now. It was 70 F last week, but snowed a couple of days ago (first measurable April snow in this area in over 80 years). It's 35 F right now. Very strange April weather.

WTF I say: click on supercharger map, click on a supercharger to see the details - who needs to see it all, right? Just have the list of superchargers block everything...idiots, no confidence in anything they make. I hear a rattle, maybe they forgot the nuts, just like my tail lights (really!)

Reactions: _Redshift_
I got an update the other day. No big changes I can see, but dismissing the software notes screen took some effort. I tried touching the map and that didn't work. I had to touch the radio button (radio was on and the window was displayed underneath). Why did they do away with the 'X' in the corner? Something like an X or some other icon in a corner is an accepted way of killing a tiled window on most OSs.

I got an update the other day. No big changes I can see, but dismissing the software notes screen took some effort. I tried touching the map and that didn't work. I had to touch the radio button (radio was on and the window was displayed underneath). Why did they do away with the 'X' in the corner? Something like an X or some other icon in a corner is an accepted way of killing a tiled window on most OSs.

I have to say I didn't like the X in the corner, it was too small. I have trouble touching buttons in the car when it's moving. The finger is on the end of a long arm and any motion of the car is not coupled to the finger, so lots of relative motion.

I'm also not a fan of the swiping everything to close it, especially when it has three valid positions and it only closes from the last of the three, yeah, I'm talking about the radio/entertainment whatever they call it. I'll deal with the X in the corner.

I just drove 460 miles today, so I'm wound up about the issues.

I may have finally come to grips with the new icons. My core set is on the display now. They are each different colors, so I don't need to see any detail. But the V11UI is much more distracting, in the sense of requiring much more interaction to get anything done. This is most apparent in the A/C-Heating controls. I am always having to muck with them to get comfortable. That's a lot more time my eyes are off the road.

I have to say I didn't like the X in the corner, it was too small. I have trouble touching buttons in the car when it's moving. The finger is on the end of a long arm and any motion of the car is not coupled to the finger, so lots of relative motion.

I'm also not a fan of the swiping everything to close it, especially when it has three valid positions and it only closes from the last of the three, yeah, I'm talking about the radio/entertainment whatever they call it. I'll deal with the X in the corner.

I just drove 460 miles today, so I'm wound up about the issues.

I may have finally come to grips with the new icons. My core set is on the display now. They are each different colors, so I don't need to see any detail. But the V11UI is much more distracting, in the sense of requiring much more interaction to get anything done. This is most apparent in the A/C-Heating controls. I am always having to muck with them to get comfortable. That's a lot more time my eyes are off the road.

Regarding the heating and cooling controls : if you turn the temperature all the way down, the AC comes on automatically. None of my other cars have done that, and I have owned may be 6 different brands.

I don’t know which genius thought of this ‘feature’.

Just checking in. From skimming thru the last few pages, it looks like I still have no reason to "upgrade" from V10.
Not really. The only ’improvements’ from V10 are:
  • Blind spot monitoring from the side repeater cameras. Personally I found this useless. I drove a Honda that had the system a few years ago and I found it equally useless then. My cameras have significant glare at night making it useless at night anyway.
  • Adding and reordering waypoints in navigation
  • the ability to ’customize’ the menu bar - except you can only put 4 icons on it, most of the customizations are things that you don‘t use while driving and most of the others are for audio sources. These were actually fairly easy to switch from the audio menu in V10, anyway, so there’s not much of a gain there.
  • The Homelink button is easier to hit. Assuming it’s not obscured by another alert because they put everything in the same spot.
  • Technically Tesla requires you to update the software as a condition of the warranty

Edit - forgot that I’m behind because I’m on a FSD version. The newer versions have added back some climate controls but reportedly still limit the number of icons you can have on the bar.

Last edited:
Just checking in. From skimming thru the last few pages, it looks like I still have no reason to "upgrade" from V10.
I did, for 2 reasons: last ditch hope that the reports of TACC/ AP working better might actually be true (family banned me from using them) and had to take it in to Tesla for a wheel change and brake lube.

Also hoping the improved range estimates work better, we take a lot of road trips, and with a bike rack and head winds, we had to improvise a lot.

Now that I have it, I like the wheel heater control on the bar, along with the defoggers, seat heaters and wipers.

Reactions: COS Blue
Edit - forgot that I’m behind because I’m on a FSD version. The newer versions have added back some climate controls but reportedly still limit the number of icons you can have on the bar.
Yeah, they added one more slot, weeee. Besides the seat heaters, which goes next to the temperature & doesn't count as one of the 5 slots. So if you're like me and already have 4 essential items, you get to choose one out of the front or rear defrost, heated steering wheel, or wipers. And also, the heated steering wheel icon does nothing if your HVAC isn't already on.

Reactions: scottf200