Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean more than the split HVAC? As in passenger is 120’F and driver is 20’F? I have not seen that in any car.
Thats what "split" is for, so both can have separate temps.
No... I mean that I would like to be able to turn off the passenger side but keep the driver’s or backseat air conditioner on (or any combination)

To be fair, Tesla's not alone in this - in most other newer cars I've driven the auto climate system does what it wants with the A/C. (I can virtually guarantee that the last several cars you've owned have turned the A/C on when you turned on the defroster.) I'm like you - I'd prefer to have the option for a truly manual system, but that's not what most cars give you anymore.

Also, in other cars if you have the system totally of and press the defrost button they may or may not turn on. Now, that's because they're mechanically controlled and there's no excuse for digitally controlled system like Tesla's not to be smart enough to come on when you press the defrost button, but then we've seen the skills of the UI team in action...

My 1992 Buick's HVAC system was like that.

By the way, if you haven’t yet gotten the latest update which allows you to place the defrost, wiper icons in your tray, do the following:

Go to controls, software update, and then click on ‘Advanced’. Make sure you check this option. Your car will receive the software updates as soon as they become available for your config.

I got mine 30 minutes after I checked that option.

I am sure a lot of you know this, but I just wanted to post this anyway.

Reactions: finman100
By the way, if you haven’t yet gotten the latest update which allows you to place the defrost, wiper icons in your tray, do the following:

Go to controls, software update, and then click on ‘Advanced’. Make sure you check this option. Your car will receive the software updates as soon as they become available for your config.

If you’re in FSD beta then your updates are limited and you’ll have to wait for the next FSD update to get any other features (or in this case bug fixes.)

Updates are staggered. If they release an update to everyone at the same time, their servers would be *very* busy all at once, then idle until the next update.

Instead, the roll an update out to a given number of vehicles, then to more, then to more until everyone has it. Sometimes you're at the front of the line, sometimes the end. Probably there are 2 queues... Advanced gets it first, then standard.

Yes, turning off the defogger should leave the car in the same state that it was before you turned the defogger on. It shouldn't have side effects.
It never worked this way though and in fact every car i've owned has always required you to turn "off" the HVAC after turning on the front defogger if there's a way to turn on the defogger alone.

btw, something that has always worked to turn off has been to press and hold the temperature value.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk and Bouba
It never worked this way though and in fact every car i've owned has always required you to turn "off" the HVAC after turning on the front defogger if there's a way to turn on the defogger alone.

btw, something that has always worked to turn off has been to press and hold the temperature value.
The last couple of cars I've owned would revert to the previous state when the defroster was turned off. In older cars that had mechanical systems the fan and defroster were separate controls, anyway.

This one I'm sort of OK with now, after thinking about it: if conditions warranted defogging or de-icing, probably a good idea to keep the HVAC on to maintain clear windows. (at least that's what I tell myself so I can get past it)

This is really frustrating. It even comes on when I have it set to 66F and it's only 50F outside. No way do I want AC in this case. Or any time, actually, unless I turn it in.

Manual mode should be 100% manual. Stop trying to over think what I want, Tesla, Auto everything is ALWAYS wrong for me. I need an opt-out.

Actually, even in cooler weather it makes sense to run the A/C for clearing moisture. The A/C coils condense moisture out of the air and provide dry air to get the humidity off the windscreen.

In a real car, I mean the kind that had controls for the heat and the flaps, all separate, and under the user's control... I could set the air to blow on the windscreen, decide how much heat or cooling to give it and get the job done the best way. But in a car with a button on the dash to open the glove box (rather than a button on the glove box) we can't be putting too many buttons on the dash. Right? Wait... that's not right!

I keep coming back to one basic thought that explains it all. Tesla SUCKS!

Lots of talk about the HVAC controls. I was upset they mucked with the map interface. Then they did it again. I had just gotten used to having to tap the map, then tap the controls that came up to change the map "view" for want of a better term, so I could see the details of expected state of charge, etc. The other day, after an update, I keep messing up the display and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. They've brought back the map display buttons! So I don't have to do a dozen taps just to find the button I want.

I am a strong believer the touch screen display is going to cause accidents. People say this is not showing up in the accident data, but I'm not convinced. Hell! I've had to reboot the thing while driving when it locked up on me. I lose the speedo (required by law) and every other readout. I've even had the durn thing reboot without my asking! With Windows it's the Blue Screen of Death. With Tesla, it's a Black Screen of Death, hopefully not literal.

Actually, even in cooler weather it makes sense to run the A/C for clearing moisture. The A/C coils condense moisture out of the air and provide dry air to get the humidity off the windscreen.

In a real car, I mean the kind that had controls for the heat and the flaps, all separate, and under the user's control... I could set the air to blow on the windscreen, decide how much heat or cooling to give it and get the job done the best way. But in a car with a button on the dash to open the glove box (rather than a button on the glove box) we can't be putting too many buttons on the dash. Right? Wait... that's not right!

I keep coming back to one basic thought that explains it all. Tesla SUCKS!
While I think not having vents that can be independently closed/opened is a huge mistake and can make trips unpleasant for either passenger or driver….the trick of using two fingers to separate the airflow can mitigate this somewhat

Lots of talk about the HVAC controls. I was upset they mucked with the map interface. Then they did it again. I had just gotten used to having to tap the map, then tap the controls that came up to change the map "view" for want of a better term, so I could see the details of expected state of charge, etc. The other day, after an update, I keep messing up the display and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. They've brought back the map display buttons! So I don't have to do a dozen taps just to find the button I want.

I am a strong believer the touch screen display is going to cause accidents. People say this is not showing up in the accident data, but I'm not convinced. Hell! I've had to reboot the thing while driving when it locked up on me. I lose the speedo (required by law) and every other readout. I've even had the durn thing reboot without my asking! With Windows it's the Blue Screen of Death. With Tesla, it's a Black Screen of Death, hopefully not literal.
Little-known alternate fact: Tesla’s UI is based on Windows Vista…there were copies left over for cheap. With apologies to Stephen Colbert, spread the ”truthiness.”

• Funny
Reactions: sleepydoc