Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v2020.8 rolling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zappi Update:
Zappi now working fine in Eco+ mode after a firmware update recommended by MyEnergi. My M3 has been happily charging on and off as the sun comes and goes all day today. I've only managed to add about 20 miles but that was all 'free' energy off the roof which would otherwise have been exported to the grid. I expect to get more 'free' charging as the summer draws nearer! The Tesla app sends a message every time charging stops because there is less than 1.4kW available which is a bit irritating. I don't think the latest Tesla update has made a difference to this.

Autosteer now seemed to be working more smoothly on a country road when I tried it today and didn't give up going round a few corners..However, I did get an unexpected 'steering correction' warning for no obvious reason (with autosteer not engaged) - and with no obvious intervention. The warning alarm is alarming though!

Reactions: drewpost
Zappi Update:

Autosteer now seemed to be working more smoothly on a country road when I tried it today and didn't give up going round a few corners..However, I did get an unexpected 'steering correction' warning for no obvious reason (with autosteer not engaged) - and with no obvious intervention. The warning alarm is alarming though!

I agree. The warning alarm for the unexpected (and unwarranted) steering correction whilst pootling along a country lane is startling enough for the driver, but it plays havoc with the passenger's peace of mind!

Reactions: SimonT and Adopado
I have installed this update and I am now getting regular steering correction warnings on minor roads.

I have never had them before and I have always had lane departure assist off so it doesn’t actually correct anything but it does issue a very loud warning.

anyone else notice this?

+1

Never seen this warning before. Had 3 on my journey home this evening on a dark country road that wouldn’t normally be an issue.

Zappi Update:
Zappi now working fine in Eco+ mode after a firmware update recommended by MyEnergi. My M3 has been happily charging on and off as the sun comes and goes all day today. I've only managed to add about 20 miles but that was all 'free' energy off the roof which would otherwise have been exported to the grid. I expect to get more 'free' charging as the summer draws nearer! The Tesla app sends a message every time charging stops because there is less than 1.4kW available which is a bit irritating. I don't think the latest Tesla update has made a difference to this.

I have a Zappi charger and a Tesla I picked up on Friday. It works fine in fast charge but in eco+ it keeps tripping out on RCD fault when it chargers off the solar. This sounds exactly like what you had. How did you solve it and what software did you update (car and Zappi or just Zappi?)? It was still doing yesterday after the new Tesla software. Thanks.

I have installed this update and I am now getting regular steering correction warnings on minor roads.

I have never had them before and I have always had lane departure assist off so it doesn’t actually correct anything but it does issue a very loud warning.

anyone else notice this?
Yes, regularly.

Just driving along a local lane and the car is frantically applying steering corrections - at least that's what it tells me.

I had similar once or twice on previous software, but with 8.1 it's very common and not obvious what it is objecting to.

Invented
I did the Tesla 2020.8 update but don’t think that was relevant because I continued to have Zappi problems with RCD trips. I called Myenergi who recommended updating their firmware. I updated the hub and the Zappi (10 minutes each to download - not the 1 minute mentioned in their manual) and it is now working.

Reactions: InventEd
Tesla app just reported there's an update, with the option to install now. Checked version and it says 2020.4.1, same as what's on so I suspect they have pulled 2020.8.1 as some rumours are suggesting.
I haven't been connected to WiFi all day, so I presume the option to install is there because the car still has the downloaded file still on board, assuming it's anything like an OS with firmware install files.

Tesla app just reported there's an update, with the option to install now. Checked version and it says 2020.4.1, same as what's on so I suspect they have pulled 2020.8.1 as some rumours are suggesting.

All rather confusing. The rollout to 2020.8.1 is still occurring but very much slowed. It may be just that its nearing 50% and 2020.4.1 and 2020.8.1 are very nearly 50/50 on TeslaFi. I've seen staged rollouts similar to this before, possibly to A/B test the fleet, or something else. Doesn't explain your reversion (unless your update was a game or map) or our offer of 2020.8.1 being rescinded. So not really sure which way this is going, but rollbacks have been limited and may be explained by AP3 upgrades being fitted to existing .8.1 cars. Again, pure speculation.

I haven't been connected to WiFi all day, so I presume the option to install is there because the car still has the downloaded file still on board, assuming it's anything like an OS with firmware install files.

Its not clear what your timeline exactly is, iirc you were struggling getting stable wifi. So you may not actually have downloaded the firmware.

Basically, the car will notify of available software update purely using lte/3g (assuming relatively recent firmware iirc 2019.36.x). If the car is not connected to wifi, the app may then say to connect to wifi to install. What I can't remember is if you are connected to wifi, whether it will do the download (which does require wifi) without asking, or whether starting the install also does the download. I *think* it is the latter - my last update took several attempts to install, getting stuck iirc at the 100%/verification stage and these attempts would have been triggered my my actioning the install (reboot of wap solved my connectivity issue).

All rather confusing. The rollout to 2020.8.1 is still occurring but very much slowed. It may be just that its nearing 50% and 2020.4.1 and 2020.8.1 are very nearly 50/50 on TeslaFi. I've seen staged rollouts similar to this before, possibly to A/B test the fleet, or something else. Doesn't explain your reversion (unless your update was a game or map) or our offer of 2020.8.1 being rescinded. So not really sure which way this is going, but rollbacks have been limited and may be explained by AP3 upgrades being fitted to existing .8.1 cars. Again, pure speculation.

Its not clear what your timeline exactly is, iirc you were struggling getting stable wifi. So you may not actually have downloaded the firmware.

Basically, the car will notify of available software update purely using lte/3g (assuming relatively recent firmware iirc 2019.36.x). If the car is not connected to wifi, the app may then say to connect to wifi to install. What I can't remember is if you are connected to wifi, whether it will do the download (which does require wifi) without asking, or whether starting the install also does the download. I *think* it is the latter - my last update took several attempts to install, getting stuck iirc at the 100%/verification stage and these attempts would have been triggered my my actioning the install (reboot of wap solved my connectivity issue).
Do you think I should ignore it or just install it again?

My experience is that it will download and install in two separate steps, but the car seems to want to only use WiFi for the app download

Do you think I should ignore it or just install it again?

My experience is that it will download and install in two separate steps, but the car seems to want to only use WiFi for the app download
Update... so I just installed 2020.4.1. As it was doing it, coincidentally I received phone call from the mobile ranger. He said that 2020.4.1 is the latest available for my car. When I explained that 8.1 had been offered but it failed to download (hence the service request) he suggested that it might be that it's still in the intial testing phase and it only goes to the first 1000 vehicles. This is a bit odd given that several thousand of TeslaFi vehicles alone are running 2020.8.1.

At least my car is not stuck trying to download an update anymore...

Out of curiosity, did it offer you 2020.8.1 or just something? I can't remember if it now tells you what it is going to install. IIRC 2020.4.x came in 2 parts (firmware and entertainment) so what it offered you may have been the entertainment bit. Also, as its a new car, you may be due a navigation update.

But good that you sort of know the answer why not to expect 2020.8.1 even if the numbers don't stack up. As mentioned earlier, these things are typically staged rollouts and targeting specific cars. But you may leap frog with next release and get an early update - which is not always a good thing though. Worse update I ever got was a limited rollout.

yeah makes sense. Part of fixing my stalled update was probably to simply revoke it from me. It was 100% 2020.4.1 that installed, same as what was already on it. It's installed successfully according to the app (will check car when I finish work) and nothing has appeared in the app to advertise anything since.