Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9.0 speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the camp that believes there will be differences between EAP and FSD sooner rather than later, so for the marginal cost increase in my monthly payment it was a reasonable punt that will get me a few hardware upgrade when the first FSD specific features are ready...

... but I have zero expectation of achieving L4/L5 within the 4 year period that I will drive my current MS.

I expect same.

Reactions: Snerruc
No it won't be. Lots are getting 28.5 now. Minor bug fixes.
I had the opportunity to drive a Model X P100D this weekend. This model got the firmware 2018.28.5. I was surprised to see the autopilot (TACC + auto lane) adjusting the speed limit up and down without having to match manually the max speed each time. I was driving on a secondary road and the autopilot reduced the speed from 80 km/h to 60 then 50. Then raised the speed from 50 to 60 and finally 80 without any driver action ! My Model S with firmware 2018.26 don't do that, you have to match the speed each time manually.

Reactions: Snerruc
I had the opportunity to drive a Model X P100D this weekend. This model got the firmware 2018.28.5. I was surprised to see the autopilot (TACC + auto lane) adjusting the speed limit up and down without having to match manually the max speed each time. I was driving on a secondary road and the autopilot reduced the speed from 80 km/h to 60 then 50. Then raised the speed from 50 to 60 and finally 80 without any driver action ! My Model S with firmware 2018.26 don't do that, you have to match the speed each time manually.
Sounds like AP1 hardware? Nothing to do with the firmware version.

• Disagree
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
The new software update to 9.0 is still not released and Elon is already talking about version 10.0 :cool:

Tesla is planning to add video streaming feature to center screen in ‘version 10’ update, says Elon Musk

upload_2018-8-19_20-25-38.png

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
@ PatrickCH I just receive the update 28.5 I have actually version 26.0.
Did you try it on HighWay ? Did you thing autopilot now read speed signs ?
On highway you still have to ajust/match the speed limit. It was on a secondary road between Rheinfelden (AG) and Möhlin (AG) limited to 80 km/h and some parts to 60 km/h. The autopilot still don't read speed signs yet, it's still getting speed signs using GPS information.

little cars? I want the make/model/color/performance specs and driver type so I can assess whether they are going to be an ar$e and try to close the gap and cut me off

Actually in all honesty this is the decision process we instinctively make every day.
is there a car? yes
relative speed?
performance car?
driven by a jerk?
nope - okay safe to pull into the adjacent lane then
Guess FSD has a way to go yet.

And just replying to my own post

I also want to know if there are any bikes nipping in/out of lanes and lane splitting, possibly accelerating agressively in the process.
Some of them might be total idiots but I really don't want to be taking them out.

Added to which you also have far ahead perception of eg slowing traffic or maybe roadworks beyond the camera's ability to resolve.

Then you have on a multi lane highway processing of the traffic from the lane the other side of the one you are about to move into who might be about to take the same space.

what about if there is debris in the lane, or the lane is closed by the highway authorities only indicated by overhead gantry signs, this list goes on...

I actually support Elon/Tesla opinion that this can be done with cameras alone based on the reality that humans drive based on vision alone every day. Where it gets difficult though is the resolution/colour interpretation/ focal length/depth of field/perspective processing of camera systems which is when you realize just how clever human eyesight and image processing is and how far cameras have to go to get anywhere close.

Even autonomous lane change is not so simple

I forget which firmware added this behavior but the basic gist is that if you have TACC engaged with a higher limit that subsequently gets reduced, if it then goes back up, the car will track the speed back up until it hits your original setting. The car doesn't seem to ever exceed you original set point though. Said another way, it won't start low and then track the speed limits up. It has to start high to begin with.

I think road debris is one of the bigger challenges as well.
Just a couple of days ago I had 7 concrete cubes (about 10”) in my lane which the Model X didn’t recognize.
I wasn’t using AP but I thought those situations are a big challenge for future FSD, especially the liability!

I actually support Elon/Tesla opinion that this can be done with cameras alone based on the reality that humans drive based on vision alone every day. Where it gets difficult though is the resolution/colour interpretation/ focal length/depth of field/perspective processing of camera systems which is when you realize just how clever human eyesight and image processing is and how far cameras have to go to get anywhere close.

Yes, this is really the point. It is obviously possible in principle. But humans have a pretty damned good vision system refined over millions of years. I don't think it's going to take millions of years for artificial versions to catch up, but it's not coming this year. Or next. Or the year after. (I mean vision-only systems showing human-level performance in all driving situations.)

Or you could accept the "crutch" of additional sensing modalities like lidar and get there years sooner... Frankly, if you could have superhuman 360-degree range finding with high precision, wouldn't you take it, along with your excellent vision system? I would, and I suspect that even after vision-only systems are possible, we will still want the crutch of precision rangefinding for that extra margin of performance and safety.