Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model X with 10.4 software update. Definitely noticed improvement this morning with the behavior of the autosteer.... smoother on the carpool lane on the 405. In the past would jerk to keep center of lane whenever stripping would change (i.e., at carpool lane entrance/ exit points) Now, still goes to center, but at much slower pace .

Also lane change assist might also be smoother (only tried once)

That's one of the most dangerous?

I know you're unimpressed with our bridges and such, but HWY 17 actually is a rather challenging highway. Lots of curves and elevation changes. It's not the most tricky mountain pass but considering that it is the primary route connecting a large city (Santa Cruz) to the Bay Area and is used in commute traffic daily, this is significant.

I've taken Ubers and taxis where a human driver could not effectively stay in their lane at 45mph on this road.

So I was in between meetings and wanted to get that video up quick. Here are my observations of AP 10.4 so far:

• This is the most significant upgrade I can remember since I got my car (March 2017).
  • Before I reach HW 17, I drive a 5 mile road from my house. AP always crossed the lanes at 2 of the same spots since I got my car. Today, it drove this road perfectly.
  • AP drove my car all the way down HW17 and very smoothly. Something I have attempted many times, but I have always have had to disengaged within a minute.
  • There is a confidence to the new AP update. It was something I can't put my finger on, but its that feeling when you are a passenger to a really great driver. This feeling had me engaging autopilot in more places.
  • Driving around in town it also did very well. I had it drive through two stop lights following other cars. At both of these stop lights the light was red and it handled stopping and then starting again and going through correctly. One of of these intersections surprised me because the intersection went in an off camber angle, with the lines not clearly marked. It handled them smoothly.
  • On wider city streets where cars park on the sides: When I was driving without any cars parked on the side it would situate the Tesla in the middle of the lane. Though, when it came upon a car parked on the side I was really hoping AP would move the car a little to the left (and closer to the center road line) so that it would give more space away from the car on the side of the road. AP moved my car a little to the left but not much. I didn't feel confident that I wouldn't swipe the car parked on the side of the road and I had to disengage AP.
  • Changing lanes is A LOT better. Its smoother and more confident. It does it faster without feeling too sudden or jerky.

I guess that would be correct if you live in a country called California

Ok my bad. You got me. I had thought it ranked (maybe it does, but too lazy to look up) as one of the most dangerous roads in our beloved United States of America. So correction, one of the most dangerous highways in California.

So in an effort to get back on topic, this update is very inspiring. Have fun testing it out and please report back.

Reactions: RedOctober
Took the X on a short AP jaunt hauling my kid to school. It was a short trip, but AP did seem to handle lane merges and exits a bit better.

Before AP was like: "OMG, I need to take that exit, now! Wait, never mind!"

AP after the update: "Huh, I wonder if this is the exit I need to take. Nah, gotta keep heading down the road."

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I had it drive through two stop lights following other cars. At both of these stop lights the light was red and it handled stopping and then starting again and going through correctly.

Are you saying it recognizes red lights??? I assume it just stopped behind another car that was stopping at the red light?

Thanks for the long report by the way!! I cant wait for my update!!! :)

Noticed something on a drive late last evening.
Watch the lane width on the binnacle display... it now adjusts to represent what it sees. From really narrow on narrow streets, to wider where two lanes merge into one, with a larger than 1 lane set of white lines.

Anyone pick up on that before?

-TechVP

• Informative
Reactions: sundaymorning
Noticed something on a drive late last evening.
Watch the lane width on the binnacle display... it now adjusts to represent what it sees. From really narrow on narrow streets, to wider where two lanes merge into one, with a larger than 1 lane set of white lines.

Anyone pick up on that before?

-TechVP

My AP2 car has always done this. I drive almost daily down a couple widely varying street widths and it would do this. I haven't driven 10.4 around yet, so it might be better or more accurate now, I'm not sure.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker