Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 2018.10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 18.10.4 last night. Drove 20 miles on local road this morning (City drive). I upgraded from 18.6.1

I agreed with everyone. It is smoother. However, I did find that AP "availability" icon appears and disappears on small neighborhood roads all the time. Before the upgrade, once my car was driving on a straight road, the AP icon appeared and then I could activate AP. Now, the icon comes and goes all time on the same local roads. If I activates it at the right time, AP will stay on. It seems to me that if there are cars parked on the side, the icon disappears. Once I drive past the cars, the icon reappears again. Anyone experienced this?

Another observation on AP, it can see much much further. The car would gradually slow down if it sees a car half a block away.

On media player, another major fix. Before, USB playback was broken. When I shuffled my playback, it played first several songs without any issues and then it started giving me "Loading error". Now, no more issues.

Like other mentioned, MCU definitely more responsive.

Great update!

I upgraded from 18.6.1

I installed the 2018.10.4 update this morning and have now driven about 8 miles using EAP on freeways and even residential streets at 25mph (not something I normally do!). I agree with what others have been posting; the improvements are quite noticeable in terms of lane centering, smoother turns, smoother lane changes.

This is the biggest EAP improvement I have seen since taking delivery of my X in June 2016.

Got it today on my X with AP2.5. Had to drive 10 minute trip down the road just to try.

Yes, autosteer has significantly improved. The road I tried it on is really shitty, with lots of curves, hills and only barely visible lane markers through the snow mostly just on one side. Would be impossible to use autosteer before, now I only had to disengage a couple times on places where there really were no lane markings and the road turned sharply. Quite understandable. Can't wait to try it on winding roads where you actually can see the lanes well.

Great update. Now lets hope that this update lays the groundwork for progressional improvements through 2018. And that it's not paused for another year until the next great update.

Great update. Now lets hope that this update lays the groundwork for progressional improvements through 2018. And that it's not paused for another year until the next great update.

Yeah, I guess you're politely saying "let's hope they don't can Andrej and hire someone else who wants to rewrite everything again" :D

But so agreed. So far, this is really optimistic though. The last "rewrite" (the thing on Chris Lattner's resume combined with Elon's Silky Smooth tweets) left a ton to be desired. It made some things a bit better and a lot of things a lot worse… all we could say is that it showed promise for what could come.

This time around, I've honestly not seen any downsides yet. It flat out performs measurably better in all situations compared to before. Sometimes a little better, sometimes it just makes me say wow to my self over and over again. If this is the first deliverable, it finally makes me not roll my eyes at the Shareholders' Letter statements about how they've figured out their vision architecture and will deliver exponential progress now.

I'm not sure if it's better or worse, but do note that the equalizer and surround settings may have changed. They adjusted the scale of the EQ to go from -8 to +8 rather than -12 to 12, if you had a setting too high it looks like it was returned to 0.

My preference was for a +12 +10.5 +9 +10.5 +12 EQ curve (bass to treble). Now that +8 is the max I don’t like the sound as much. Seems like less bass for sure. Could just be me. Would like to hear a side by side comparison with a X without the software update. Tesla technical support stated they will be following up with me with any details regarding the change.

Feb 2018 Model S UHFS here. Before anyone asks, I'm on the old MCU. Pretty sure I missed by less than a week, but I digress...

I kept all my EQ values under 8 before the update (2018.6.1 to 2018.10.4). Bass was at 6.5, all other values between 0 and 2.5. I immediately noticed the bass was hitting much harder and overall the system sounded louder after the update. My EQ values all stayed the same as before, but are now proportionally much closer to the new max value of 8.

It seems like this has effectively boosted the volume and exaggerated the gentle smiley face EQ I had set. I must say, it sounds fantastic for both streaming and my USB FLAC files.

We got the update today and I noticed it feels more like a person driving instead of a drunk person. Everything was more fluid.

HOWEVER, we had a car cross in front of us with plenty of time to spare and my Model X slammed the brakes on as if it were avoiding an accident. I actually heard the anti-lock ratchet kick in. Problem is that the car had already made it across two lanes of traffic and was not a threat when the car decided to take action.

My preference was for a +12 +10.5 +9 +10.5 +12 EQ curve (bass to treble). Now that +8 is the max I don’t like the sound as much. Seems like less bass for sure. Could just be me. Would like to hear a side by side comparison with a X without the software update. Tesla technical support stated they will be following up with me with any details regarding the change.
not sure Iike the sound as much now that the EQ settings max out at 8 instead of 12. Why even mess with that??

I left a light last night behind another car and both he and I were making a left. I had the car in AP up to the light where it stopped behind him and then let it leave the light and it almost made the left right behind the car in front of us but it failed halfway in to the turn. I thought for a moment they may have added more than I thought, but I guess it was just much better following behavior than I have experienced before when the lane markers are not there.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Disagree...
I have never seen AP2 render lanes this wide before...
Tesla 2018.10.4 Wide Lane Merge

-TechVP

It has always done this from the first very feeble version of AP on AP2 HW. I've had AP2 since before there was software for it. It just did a really bad job identifying wide lanes and most people don't STARE (at least I hope so) at the IC while using AP because they need to focus on their surroundings.

Have you tried just dropping all of them by 3 db and then turning the volume up a little?

If you set your EQ to +3 +1.5 0 +1.5 +3, and turn the sound up a few notches, it should sound identical to your old settings. The sliders are all relative - usually put one setting at 0, and then adjust the others to suit your ear. Mine (non upgraded) is at +6.5 +5 0 +1.5 +1.5, and I didn’t even notice that the max is at 8 now.

EQ is not designed to raise the volume across all frequencies, that is what a volume control does. When an EQ band is set to extremes (anything above +/- 5dB) the phase of that band is altered so much that adjacent frequencies will sound distorted. EQ is best used to CUT problem frequencies, not BOOST desired ones. Most professional EQ controls only provide CUT, and not BOOST for this reason. If more bass is desired, try reducing all other bands to -3dB and leave the bass band at 0dB. This will produce a much cleaner sound.

Autopilot is SO much more advanced - love this version! Prior versions couldn't handle the 4 miles of curvy road down to the main road - now, it goes the entire way without a hiccup.

It feels so much more confident, no micro movements, no moving around in the lane.

Annnnndddd.... it now navigates the extremely narrow Hood River bridge that I cross several times a week. Note that the proximity sensors are solid red the entire way across.
did it still ask you to put your hands on the wheel every minute or so?

• Informative
Reactions: rohitgarewal