Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes there is, namely the Mercedes-Benz V-Class.

Tesla, this right here is your benchmark for cargo/seating.

The 2nd row can have either two captian's chair or 3 seat bench just like the Tesla. The 2nd row captain's chair can even rotate to face the 3rd row.

The 3rd row can also be optioned with two captian's chairs instead of the 3 seat bench shown here.

Note that each seat can fold down individually (even for the 60/40 bench).

Both 2nd and 3rd row seats can be removed completely for maximum cargo carrying capacity.

Unfortunately you can't buy one in North America. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGjGemgY0SK7LrQHp-RqUtNb0hadtvmn1TmA75GnCHEEpycSCb.jpg

Unfortunately you can't buy one in North America. :(

Seriously, I will be buying one today if they sell the V-Class in Canada. Just absolutely perfect for my business needs.

I was really hoping that Tesla can come up with a similar solution. Maybe the removable seat is too much to ask, but at least make the 2nd row either fold or rotate. How difficult is that?

I have been watching that truck for some time and hope to replace my old Denali with it someday. I don't see a true 100 % EV truck anytime soon from Tesla or anyone else. Towing requires too much energy to make sense with today's battery capability. Battery capacity would need to triple without a weight increase for a true truck to work.

I know this isn't Tesla or Via Motors quality, but what do you think of these electric trucks?

Yes, and I'm genuinely sorry for your disappointment. It would be like if when the X reveal happened it turned into more of a man-truck pick-up truck that wasn't so good for carrying kids but had lots of other cool features people hauling things around really liked. THen I would be seriously contemplating the cancelling of my X reservation.

The reason I chimed in on this thread is that as I was reading through this I initially got the impression that most people are generally unhappy with the X reveal from this seat-gate storage space downgrade. I just want to make sure other people reading this forum aren't as likely to get this same impression I got and realize that there are quite a lot of people out there (a different audience such as people with kids in car seats) that are extremely happy with the 2nd row seats and are all-in with the X even more so than before.

Not picking on you but as I respect your thoughts/opinions: Would you have canceled your reservation IF TM only offered a folding second row seat option at launch?

Not picking on you but as I respect your thoughts/opinions: Would you have canceled your reservation IF TM only offered a folding second row seat option at launch?

No I still would have gotten the X as a long term investor I want to experience owning their products to make sure I'm confident in holding shares long term (5 years+). I just would have been 90% happy with it instead of 110% happy with what they actually did do with the Model X 2nd row seats. However, my wife may have been more like 70% happy with it instead of 110% happy with it as she is much more conscious about the ease of putting kids in and out since we have 2 toddlers and another on the way.

Regarding longer slender items, would some of them not be able to fit under the 2nd row seats with the 3rd row folded?

View attachment 96433

Can anyone who has seen the car in person tell whether this would be a possibility?

The third row folded is way higher than the bottom of the second row. Sliding something under the middle seats from behind isn't going to happen. Yes, if you remove the middle seat.

I realized something at the reveal. I was hoping for a replacement of a truck based SUV, my Toyota 4runner. As everyone above, I can fit massive things in there, or open the back and stuff a tree in it. This is a car based vehicle. A CUV, or allroad/outback/stationwagon. It's the shooting brake of the S. In the front seat, the cockpit is all S, with a better windscreen. In the back, the seats are bigger, higher, and the rears are front facing. There is slightly more room. That is all. Current seats offer less cargo space, but I'd be surprised if simpler folding seats don't show up, a simple fix. For what it is, it is pretty sweet. It's just not my SUV replacement that will go rockcrawling or fording 2 feet of snow. I think I'm ok with that. My wife is for sure.

Yes there is, namely the Mercedes-Benz V-Class.

Tesla, this right here is your benchmark for cargo/seating.

The 2nd row can have either two captian's chair or 3 seat bench just like the Tesla. The 2nd row captain's chair can even rotate to face the 3rd row.

The 3rd row can also be optioned with two captian's chairs instead of the 3 seat bench shown here.

Note that each seat can fold down individually (even for the 60/40 bench).

Both 2nd and 3rd row seats can be removed completely for maximum cargo carrying capacity.

Thank you for this info. THIS is what I would love to see for the rear area on Model X. Talk about flexibility

I too am on the fence with our reservation. We have deposits down for both an X (reservation #20x), and a Volvo XC90 T8. All reviews that are coming in on the XC90 are very good, and it recently earned the top rating in all categories by the IIHS for crash protection. Plus, the XC90 looks like it will be 30K less than the X will be equipped the way we want it. Still mulling it over.....

I think a lot of people on this forum believe that you wouldn't even cross-shop an ICE car with a MX (because they wouldn't), but the reality is that more mainstream buyers' view is much more broad. Assuming that anyone shopping an MX has decided it's BEV or nothing (or *EV or nothing) is a narrow view that probably doesn't reflect the majority of potential MX buyers.

There's definitely an EV premium price, and if that feature is not critical for you, I bet it's easy to find cars that beat out Telsa in most other categories for less $$.

But if you gotta have a few of their best-in-class features, then it's the only game in town (for now...)!

- - - Updated - - -

I measured my CR-V and I have at least 68" as well. This is slightly better than 60" (and way better than the 50" measurement of the 2nd row seats aren't pushed forward). I can actually remove the rear seat bottoms and move the front seats up and I get over 72" of length. If I fold down the passenger seat, that number can be 80" or longer.

Well, let's be fair here... you're comparing second seats down (68") to second seats not even moved forward (50"), right?

To all those who say that they only carry around people 99.999% of the time: Good for you! I carry people and cargo in my vehicle on a weekly, if not daily basis.

Which makes the X not for you. Duly noted, but why the rant? Because you wanted it to be? Okay, that's fine, but not rant-worthy, IMHO.

I think a lot of people on this forum believe that you wouldn't even cross-shop an ICE car with a MX (because they wouldn't), but the reality is that more mainstream buyers' view is much more broad. Assuming that anyone shopping an MX has decided it's BEV or nothing (or *EV or nothing) is a narrow view that probably doesn't reflect the majority of potential MX buyers.

There's definitely an EV premium price, and if that feature is not critical for you, I bet it's easy to find cars that beat out Telsa in most other categories for less $$.

But if you gotta have a few of their best-in-class features, then it's the only game in town (for now...)!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, let's be fair here... you're comparing second seats down (68") to second seats not even moved forward (50"), right?

Which makes the X not for you. Duly noted, but why the rant? Because you wanted it to be? Okay, that's fine, but not rant-worthy, IMHO.

1. I'm hoping to go BEV so that greatly limits my choices.
2. The second seats in the X don't fold down. If moved forward, I've heard there's 60". If not moved forward, there's 50". I have 68"+ when my second seats down. I can't compare second seats down in the X because they don't fold down. I listed both the 50" and 60" figures in my original post.
3. By rant, I meant my long, impassioned response. This was because there are many posters in numerous threads who keep stating that nobody ever hauls stuff in their SUVs or actually needs the seats to fold down. Go look in other threads and you can see the number 99.99 (or higher) used multiple times to indicate that SUVs are used for people, not cargo. As we can see by all the cancelations and hints of cancelations in this thread, many people have the same needs and wants that I have. I can accept that others have different needs. I just wish they could accept the fact that I have different needs.

Last edited:
Each has a set of requirements. Certainly for a $100K vehicle, has the right to expectations and requirements.

I drove a Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator for years. Oblivious to the CO2 debate and loved the carrying capacity. After realizing the vehicles lacked the quality required, and that I was driving around in a re-invented pickup, I looked for a vehicle that carried the same, looked similar and had improved quality. The market and the requirements for an SUV/CUV had moved from the pickup-based vehicles to those based on car chassis--the Cross-Over had emerged. The Mercedes didn't fit my requirements (fours sets of golf clubs AND four passengers). Cadillac Escalade was a revamped Suburban with 3rd row bench that had to be removed and stored when the floor space was needed. I had enjoyed the auto-folding seats in my previous Navigator. After months of searching, I found the Audi Q7. It fit most my needs and had the Audi engineering, and was sportier than the Navigator, albeit lessor internal capacity. I have driven the Q7 now for 8 years.

I think Tesla has moved to the future market. That is, they aren't making the vehicle we all had, but the future vehicle we will want. It won't be for everyone, and will not replace the big 7-10 year old SUV''s based on truck chassis. For those that cancel, best of luck with whatever you choose. Ford and has moved to sportier SUV's based on car-like chassis, as has most other manufacturers. I suspect, over time, it will be more difficult to find replacements for what has been the standard for 10 years.

But at least it proves such a vehicle exists, no matter how many times people have denied it is possible.

Not necessarily true in Tesla's first MX market, though. US safety regulations tend to be way stricter than those found in Europe. I can't buy, import, or legally drive a Twizzy in NA also due to safety regulations, and the Twizzy is the only way to get an electric car that's as cheap as a regular ICE vehicle.

I should have clarified that it was in the US market. There almost certainly has to be some sort of engineering challenge in fitting all of the following in one vehicle: seat-attached seatbelts, a 5-star safety rating around the board, Falcon wing doors, independently moving seats, single-pedestal seats, and folding seats all in one vehicle. Something had to be dropped to accomplish all of the above. The falcon wing doors and 5-star safety ratings are un-droppable for Tesla for the MX. There are good reasons (storage space, independent movement) to keep the single pedestal on the vehicle.

Tesla isn't stupid, as of today Tesla has no feasible way to design all of the above, so rather than drop the uniquely-Tesla features, they decided to drop a feature you can find on every other vehicle. That's that. If it breaks your deal, you're more than welcome to go with the hundreds of other models with folding second row seats. You won't get any of the unique MX features because, with current engineering challenges, it very much looks like you cannot make second row folding seats while simultaneously keeping the MX as a MX.

Not to mention features like cooled/ventilated second row seats, and second row seat quality.

You don't get Tesla grins from folding seats, you get it from industry-breaking falcon-winged doors and independently moving seats. I'm sure Tesla will someday have folding second row seats, either as a dumbed-down bench seat or through engineering advances, but they don't want the first impression of their most luxurious and adventurous vehicle to date fall short on said adventurous promises.

The MX is probably the only vehicle I can think of that has kept crazy concept-car features into production, and other automakers are going to take notice.

Now hold on, just because the seat won't fold flat doesn't mean that there isn't still usable space forward of the bottom/back of the second row seat. They tilt pretty far forward. Yea, the entire flat area won't be usable, but your aforementioned floor lamp is still going to fit, just propped up on the back of the second row seat.
Yes, no need to exaggerate. Actually, the clearance due to the pedestals actually should allow for things like rakes, lamps, brooms to be longer than 60"and fit also.

1. I'm hoping to go BEV so that greatly limits my choices.
2. The second seats in the X don't fold down. If moved forward, I've heard there's 60". If not moved forward, there's 50". I have 68"+ when my second seats down. I can't compare second seats down in the X because they don't fold down. I listed both the 50" and 60" figures in my original post.
3. By rant, I meant my long, impassioned response. This was because there are many posters in numerous threads who keep stating that nobody ever hauls stuff in their SUVs or actually needs the seats to fold down. Go look in other threads and you can see the number 99.99 (or higher) used multiple times to indicate that SUVs are used for people, not cargo. As we can see by all the cancelations and hints of cancelations in this thread, many people have the same needs and wants that I have. I can accept that others have different needs. I just wish they could accept the fact that I have different needs.

So please forgive my less than great graphics skills, but the measurements stated here are pretty vague, IMO. The 50" with seats back would, I presume, represent the measure from the back of the X to the lower back of the 2nd row when upright. But what's less clear and more important, I think, is the second measurement quoted (60"). I am assuming that the 2nd row base moves forward 10" to get to the 60", but it is important to figure in the additional space provided by the forward tilting of the 2nd row seat. Certainly if you have something that you're hauling that is 70" and is the full height of the interior of the X, then it won't fit. but there are lots of things (shovels and lamps) that could easily fit even if they are 70", 80", or 90" if propped up on the back of the seat and/or placed in diagonally across the back area. Even a flat long box like a flat screen TV would fit this way even if longer than 60". Someone who's seen the X in person, am I off base here? That is the impression I got watching the reveal. Would be nice if Tesla would post some actual interior dimensions I guess.
image1 (1).JPG