Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my Model 3 delivery experience is turning into a humongous buzz kill. :(
I was supposed to have gotten a delivery date from my ISA by the end of last week but none came. Then Monday morning I get an email from my ISA saying my car is "stuck in Inspection status" which was delaying my delivery. Having a background in tech manufacturing that set my antennae up. I immediately emailed back expressing concern and asking if my interpretation of that meaning that the car was in inspection longer than normal and therefore likely has some serious quality issues was correct. I got a reply this morning saying it was not clear what was causing the car to remain in inspection status on the tracking system but that if I was not comfortable with the car I could wait while my ISA investigates what the cause was or I could request a new VIN and wait the additional 3 or more weeks for delivery. I chose the latter. So my clock for receiving my car has been reset. :mad:
I"m sorry to hear. That's a bummer. Did you order black? just want to make sure you did not get Red in case they want to give it to me ;)

You decided to defer without even knowing the issue?

Yep. I wasn't going to trust them to be honest about what was wrong and how serious it was or wasn't. I would always have a lingering doubt about it and I would rather just wait a few more weeks for a different car.
I have worked in manufacturing environments and I know what happens when people feel pressure to get stuff out the door - they will sometimes do whatever they can to make stuff pass inspection even though it might not be the best long term solution for an issue. I have read some stories about tear downs of Model 3 vehicles that indicate as much.

Last edited:
Well my Model 3 delivery experience is turning into a humongous buzz kill. :(
I was supposed to have gotten a delivery date from my ISA by the end of last week but none came. Then Monday morning I get an email from my ISA saying my car is "stuck in Inspection status" which was delaying my delivery. Having a background in tech manufacturing that set my antennae up. I immediately emailed back expressing concern and asking if my interpretation of that meaning that the car was in inspection longer than normal and therefore likely has some serious quality issues was correct. I got a reply this morning saying it was not clear what was causing the car to remain in inspection status on the tracking system but that if I was not comfortable with the car I could wait while my ISA investigates what the cause was or I could request a new VIN and wait the additional 3 or more weeks for delivery. I chose the latter. So my clock for receiving my car has been reset. :mad:
What was your VIN number range and color? It will be interesting to see when you get offered a new VIN. You might as well wait for AWD.

What was your VIN number range and color? It will be interesting to see when you get offered a new VIN. You might as well wait for AWD.

My configuration is black with 19" sport wheels and the VIN was in the 23xxx range. I'm not interested in AWD so waiting for that is not a consideration for me.
Anyway, what I would say to people here is that if your ISA tells you, as mine did, that your car is near delivery and then things go very slowly that you may want to contact your ISA to inquire as to the cause of the delay. My ISA volunteered the fact that the car I was assigned was spending an inordinate amount of time in the Inspection process. Had my ISA not done that I would not have become concerned, for better or worse, about the quality of the car I was assigned. I suppose some people would rather not know and just trust that any issues will be corrected but my feeling is that when I'm spending over 50K on something I am going to do everything I can to ensure I don't get stuck with a lemon.

My configuration is black with 19" sport wheels and the VIN was in the 23xxx range. I'm not interested in AWD so waiting for that is not a consideration for me.
Anyway, what I would say to people here is that if your ISA tells you, as mine did, that your car is near delivery and then things go very slowly that you may want to contact your ISA to inquire as to the cause of the delay. My ISA volunteered the fact that the car I was assigned was spending an inordinate amount of time in the Inspection process. Had my ISA not done that I would not have become concerned, for better or worse, about the quality of the car I was assigned. I suppose some people would rather not know and just trust that any issues will be corrected but my feeling is that when I'm spending over 50K on something I am going to do everything I can to ensure I don't get stuck with a lemon.

Honestly, I wouldn't be overly concerned with production quality at this point. My 4/20 config was built in May and delivered in June but had a low VIN. The car I received is (or seems) perfect and I've had it for 400 miles and 5 days now. Like blew away my expectations....

Honestly, I wouldn't be overly concerned with production quality at this point. My 4/20 config was built in May and delivered in June but had a low VIN. The car I received is (or seems) perfect and I've had it for 400 miles and 5 days now. Like blew away my expectations....

I don't think I was being overly concerned. It was my ISA who without my prompting expressed surprise at how long my car was stuck in Inspection and it was my ISA who without my request gave me the option of requesting a new VIN. In my opinion, if a salesperson is making those kind of voluntary concessions then you probably should be concerned.

Last edited:
What color and wheels?

Also, what was your first indication that you had a vin? Others have mentioned that their “edit design” button disappeared.
The first indication was an email from the ISA with the first words after hi being "Congratulations, you have a VIN!". ;)

VIN still doesn't show up on my Tesla, but she emailed me the VIN number so I can start getting quotes for insurance.

• Midnight Silver Metallic Paint
  • 18’’ Aero Wheels

Believe that previous Model S owners still have priority over 1st day store reservation.
It's definitely possible.

It could also be geographic location, or color, or it's by invite (I sat on the invite for 4 months before configuring), or... ?

ETA: Crap, can't edit the original post. I actually reserved in store not online, don't know what I was thinking when I wrote online. I got to the store about 2 hours after they opened and lines died down outside (noonish?).

Update: ISA has been excellent throughout! Pumped!!

Reserved: 3/31/16 (online)
Invited: 4/13/18
Configured: 4/19/18
Dreaded "July" delay email: 5/20/18
VIN 239XX (HPWC); 6/1/18 (confirmed on Final Price Sheet)
ISA contact: 6/8/18 (Email - Alisha in Las Vegas)
Delivery: Scheduled on 6/13/18 for 6/27/18 (ISA offered 6/26/18 but I am unavailable that day)
MSM, Sport, RWD, LR, PUP, EAP