Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put my kids to bed at 9 last night, hopped on the computer and noticed the edit design link was gone. Tried the shopping cart trick and noticed it change from an RN to a VIN, 24xxx. I am guessing I got the VIN between 6pm-9pm last night.

Reserved online 3/31/2016 9pm
Ordered 4/18/2018
VIN 5/22/2018

Nice! Gives me hope I might get mine soon...I'm in Walnut Creek also and ordered at around same time as you on 3/31/16. Invite/config same day as you 4/18. But still no VIN. I also got the email saying delayed to June. What config did you get? I'm Blue/Aero.

Nice! Gives me hope I might get mine soon...I'm in Walnut Creek also and ordered at around same time as you on 3/31/16. Invite/config same day as you 4/18. But still no VIN. I also got the email saying delayed to June. What config did you get? I'm Blue/Aero.
I ordered Blue / Sport. I am sure you will get your VIN any day now. I was a little shocked that I got it yesterday. I sort of expected it after the factory shutdown.

I’ve seen my vin through the wall charger trick since Sunday. But still no word.

Anyone else seen their vin through the charger back door and how long after did it take for you to get contacted?

In SoCal you should hear fairly soon - doesn't take long to get down for Fremont.

The biggest issue is availability at the delivery center. My buddy got called today from ISA and his delivery is 6/5.

Has anyone been through a rematch for a VIN? Since I had to cancel delivery on my first assigned VIN because of a paint defect that'll take 4-5 weeks in the shop (they're backed up), the ISA submitted a "hard rematch request" for a new VIN. Apparently it triggers a search for an existing VIN that is not assigned anyone matching my configuration whether it be in production at Fremont or in process of transit (if anyone decides to cancel or change their order while it's in transport, as an example).

A little worried that I'll be back in no VIN limbo for awhile.

Has anyone been through a rematch for a VIN? Since I had to cancel delivery on my first assigned VIN because of a paint defect that'll take 4-5 weeks in the shop (they're backed up), the ISA submitted a "hard rematch request" for a new VIN. Apparently it triggers a search for an existing VIN that is not assigned anyone matching my configuration whether it be in production at Fremont or in process of transit (if anyone decides to cancel or change their order while it's in transport, as an example).

You might be, but your going as close to the front as possible.
It will be worth it to not have to car wait so long for paint fix.
Sucks having it so close then be pushed out again, that's for sure.

I sort of have, and have seen at least one other in the same situation as mine: They assigned me a VIN going to the incorrect SC for delivery for my location (due to NYS EV tax rebate). I may have a VIN now, but it's not showing, and it has been a little over a week. The other person who had the same thing got a VIN in one day.

• Informative
Reactions: Faustic
I sort of have, and have seen at least one other in the same situation as mine: They assigned me a VIN going to the incorrect SC for delivery for my location (due to NYS EV tax rebate). I may have a VIN now, but it's not showing, and it has been a little over a week. The other person who had the same thing got a VIN in one day.

Yup, I had the same issue (maybe I am the other person you are referring to, not sure) - I was assigned a VIN for a wrong DC in NY while I live in NJ and it was determined that it was not possible for a NJ resident to take delivery in NY if they earned any compensation or owned any property in NY (I work in NYC). I was initially pretty bummed about losing the VIN since they claimed that they cant change where a car is going for logistical complications, but I was re-matched with a new VIN within a day or so. I probably lost a little time in terms of delivery since the process had to be started again, but it was not as bad as I had imagined. Of course, it depends on many other factors as I am sure you are aware but I hope your situation is corrected and not too far behind.

• Informative
Reactions: Faustic
Also, I am sure it has been mentioned but the VIN assignment process has changed, VINs will no longer show up on the account until the week of delivery. The only way to check is the Wall Charger trick - to add a wall charger to your cart, and proceed to checkout. Before you enter payment information it will show you your VIN if you have been assigned one.

Reactions: Asad1087
Yup, I had the same issue (maybe I am the other person you are referring to, not sure) - I was assigned a VIN for a wrong DC in NY while I live in NJ and it was determined that it was not possible for a NJ resident to take delivery in NY if they earned any compensation or owned any property in NY (I work in NYC). I was initially pretty bummed about losing the VIN since they claimed that they cant change where a car is going for logistical complications, but I was re-matched with a new VIN within a day or so. I probably lost a little time in terms of delivery since the process had to be started again, but it was not as bad as I had imagined. Of course, it depends on many other factors as I am sure you are aware but I hope your situation is corrected and not too far behind.
You were not the one I was referencing. I forget who it was, but they were also in the Rochester area. They sent mine to Pittsburg PA because that is the "local" SC that services our area.

So I guess my car is being assembled which kind of sucks because assuming it's done in the new week it will still take another 2 to ship. I guess I know I should have it in June but I was hoping it was on it's way already. So, I have a vin (using the hack) and have been contacted by an advisor but the car is not done.