Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone figured out how to dial a number, just a number (xxx-xxx-xxxx)?
I though that we should be able to say Call or Dial and then a string of numbers, at least I've heard that it is possible, and I've been trying to get it to work. On all my other vehicles with voice commands, it's always been easy to do this.
I can get dial by name from my phonebook, but sometimes you just want to say a number for someone/place that is not in my phonebook. Any one with better luck? Maybe it's some other command, I wish there was a Tesla published list of commands.

Btw, a search did not get me an answer, at least I could not find one...

You should be able to use call or dial, but it does a bad enough job on names sometimes so numbers may be difficult to understand. Here is a clipping of list:

TESLA MODEL S VOICE COMMANDS
Voice commands can be initiated by pressing and holding the voice button located towards the top right of the steering wheel. A tone will sound when the button is initially depressed. Release the button only after speaking the full command.

NAVIGATION
  • “Navigate to” – Example: “Navigate to Home” will take you to your pre-programmed home address. Similarly you can navigate to your [work] destination by speaking “Drive to work”.
  • “Drive to” – Because Google is powering the search capabilities, you’re able to speak any destination whether it be an address or a point of interest by name. Example: “Drive to Disneyland”
  • “Where is” – Example: “Where is the nearest Starbucks?” will return a list of Starbucks closest to your proximity.
PHONE (BLUETOOTH) DIALING
  • “Call” – Specify the name of the person or number you wish to call / dial.
  • “Dial”
AUDIO
  • “Play” – This command will initiate a search across the built-in Slacker Internet Radio. Search by artist name, name of song or both.
  • “Listen to”Example: “Listen to Bon Jovi Living on a Prayer”
PROVIDE TESLA MOTORS FEEDBACK
Initiating the following voice commands will send Tesla Motors a recording of your voice message. I can’t help but imagine how fun it must be to be on the receiving end of the voice messages.

• “Note”
  • “Report”
  • “Bug Report”

That's what I've seen, not very comprehensive... regardless, it does not work.
A "bad job" on recognizing names and numbers is an understatement. Honestly, worst voice recon for a production vehicle ever. Seriously, my old 2005 Acura TL did a much better job!

Travwill, have you had any luck getting the system to dial a number? Btw, I haven't seen a blue X in person, where are you at in chicago. I'm in the SW burbs.

That's what I've seen, not very comprehensive... regardless, it does not work.
A "bad job" on recognizing names and numbers is an understatement. Honestly, worst voice recon for a production vehicle ever. Seriously, my old 2005 Acura TL did a much better job!

Travwill, have you had any luck getting the system to dial a number? Btw, I haven't seen a blue X in person, where are you at in chicago. I'm in the SW burbs.
Okay, I can confirm @cmd_keen's assessment. Voice command does a bad job of recognizing names to call. Maybe 8.0 will be an improvement.