Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WA State EV Sales Tax Exemption Updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how trade-in sales tax exception is applied along with EV tax exception? For example, if I trade in a car worth 10k, will taxes be exempt on 32k (EV) + 10k (trade-in) = 42k total?
Yes. I'm not trading since the couple of thousand less that I would get selling as a private party wouldn't save enough sales tax to make it worth it. Example sell PP for $7,000 VS trade in at $4,000. Trade in saves $320 in sales tax, selling makes $2,680 more. YMMV

• Informative
Reactions: zmarty
Z4aJNnn.png

Vince Chen‏ @vincechen 1h1 hour ago
Hello Elon, is it possible to prioritize Model 3 deliveries for WA? The sales tax exemption quota is reached and would be phased out by end of May.

Elon Musk‏ @elonmusk
Replying to @vincechen
Doing our best

Uhh, not to burst any bubbles, but historically, having Elon tell you he's working hard at meeting a specific date deadline is probably the most reliable way to know it will never be met...

I still think someone should be pushing on the DOR to find out if it really ends in May, and to ask the hard question about why it took them 13+ days to put that on their website (since they would have needed to know by April 5th for that to be true)

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx and zmarty
The May end date doesn't make sense to me. Should be June. They need to at least show their work.

Looks like they've finally updated the numbers:
https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/Misc/DOLVehicleCount.pdf

March 2018 sales of 406 brought the grand total to: 7,819

You can see on the PDF that many of the prior monthly counts have been updated with the following note:
*Monthly count revised by DOL as of April 12, 2018

Guess we have to hope Tesla comes through for all of the Washington orders before the end of May...

According to Elon's e-mail to employees yesterday (https://jalopnik.com/tesla-switching-to-24-7-shifts-to-push-for-6-000-model-1825335216), the upgrades on the line should ramp production up to 3000 to 4000 Model 3's per month.

But even if they can increase production and prioritize WA orders in the next few weeks, they still need to get them up here. The guy at the Seattle store told me they are looking forward to when they can use Tesla Semi to help with distribution and transport, but that won't be for a while.

Looks like they've finally updated the numbers:
https://dor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/legacy/Docs/Pubs/Misc/DOLVehicleCount.pdf

March 2018 sales of 406 brought the grand total to: 7,819

You can see on the PDF that many of the prior monthly counts have been updated with the following note:
*Monthly count revised by DOL as of April 12, 2018

Guess we have to hope Tesla comes through for all of the Washington orders before the end of May...
This makes a lot more sense. I always thought there had to be something wrong with February's numbers.

Reactions: Foxhound199
I wonder if them updating that at 2:30pm has anything to do with the email I sent at 1:30pm...

There's still an issue though. The bottom of that revised count says "Monthly count revised by DOL as of April 12, 2018" The PDF itself was modified at 11:24am on April 18th.

If the DOL told the DOR on April 12th that the 7,500 was reached, then the exemption goes until June. Given they didn't publish this until the 18th of April, and the document indicates that they got accurate numbers from the DOL on the 12th, I think we have a case that it shouldn't end in May. The law is clear that the end is based on when notification occurs, not when the actual sale of the 7,500th vehicle occurred.

I have an email in to the DOR. We'll see what they say. Might be fun to pull a FOIA and see when the DOR actually got notified too.

wonder what the issue was with how they were recording numbers back to last september. They adjusted UP nearly 600 with these new numbers (between Sept-Feb).

The red numbers on the left were the previously reported monthly numbers, running total on the right.

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 7.34.23 PM.png

Edit - fixed number...

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxhound199
wonder what the issue was with how they were recording numbers back to last september. They adjusted UP nearly 600 with these new numbers (between Sept-Feb).

The red numbers on the left were the previously reported monthly numbers, running total on the right.

View attachment 295172

Edit - fixed number...
Nice work.

I'm not even buying a Model 3 but this whole process has been maddening. I really hope you guys get it changed to June 30th.

View attachment 295172

Edit - fixed number...
Is it suspicious that these months with discrepancies overlap pretty well with the start of Model 3 production? I wonder if they weren't counting 3s (and perhaps another eligible car?).

Is it suspicious that these months with discrepancies overlap pretty well with the start of Model 3 production? I wonder if they weren't counting 3s (and perhaps another eligible car?).
I don't think there were that many Model 3s in WA until the last month or two though. Certainly not September/October/November when they were nearly all employee (or employee family members). Those three months add up to 207 in changes. Does Tesla even have that many Washington employees between a couple stores and service centers (and SpaceX)?
I was thinking more that they didn't record data from a specific county(ies)/city(ies). Or someone there just wanted to yell "Gotcha!" at us now, ha. Wonder if the story will ever become public.