Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wailing wall for Australian Model 3 team VINLess!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the up side, I’ve managed to keep today’s vin check count at 3 which is significantly less than I’ve been averaging the past week :)

I'm at 3 times today already :( sad. Considering it's a public holiday in QLD and NSW also, unlikely anything would be touched.

On another note Debussy left Port Botany at 2~am today headed for Melbourne.... chances are if anything came off Debussy it would be barely touched until Tuesday when most are back to work. Port workers I'm sure don't get that luxury, have to work around arrivals and departures...

I’m still trying to work out if the Debussy vins have been assigned. I haven’t seen many new vin announcements on the FB page or on here since the end of quarter dash finished, so I’m hoping that means all available stock has been delivered and the Debussy cars are the next deliveries. I’ve seen some people with deliveries scheduled for mid October but not many. Hopefully that means we will start hearing people finding new vins this week. Of course those people should be all of us :)
Vin check #4 completed. No change. Dammit.

yep no idea. if we start seeing a bunch of VIN allocations in the next 2-3 days we will know I guess...
I’m actually surprised at how many people who are waiting impatiently for their cars haven’t been checking for the hidden vin. People have told me they don’t have a vin but have had a call to schedule delivery. When I send them the hidden vin URL link they tell me “oh yeah, there’s a vin there. I didn’t realise”.
It’s like waiting for Christmas but forgetting to check your parents wardrobe for the hidden presents!

I’m actually surprised at how many people who are waiting impatiently for their cars haven’t been checking for the hidden vin. People have told me they don’t have a vin but have had a call to schedule delivery. When I send them the hidden vin URL link they tell me “oh yeah, there’s a vin there. I didn’t realise”.
It’s like waiting for Christmas but forgetting to check your parents wardrobe for the hidden presents!
What do you mean....I've been checking at least 10 times a day......I'm ready to call it quits

upload_2019-10-8_8-27-35.png

SAD FACE :(

Where do you find the hidden VIN? Why does it need to be hidden.......because it is Tesla?

Because it is hidden in the source code (as a JSON object) in your manage model 3 page. To get to this page:
  1. log in to your account
  2. click Manage button for your Model 3. You will get to www. tesla.com/en_AU /teslaaccount/product-finalize?rn=RNxxxxx
Now on this page there are a couple of ways to find out.

manually:
  1. right click on any white space on the page
  2. select View Source on the pop-up menu
  3. on the source page, use Ctrl-F to search for "vin": (quotes and colon included)
    If you see "Vin":null, then you do not have a hidden VIN. But if you see "Vin":"5YJxxxxxx", then congratulations, you've got a hidden vin.
Alternatively, f you a geek, you can open the console and type Tesla.ProductF.Data.Vin then hit Enter. There is a lot of info in this Tesla object.
Automatically:
You can install Chrome Tesla VIN finder extension. Once you go to the page in 2. above, it will pop up a dialog box if you have a hidden VIN. Or click on the extension, to get the pop-up @jason66 showed above and make a sad face.

Where do you find the hidden VIN? Why does it need to be hidden.......because it is Tesla?
The "Hidden VIN" is a field on the vehicle order progress page.

1. Go to you account at Tesla SSO – Login (log in if required)
2. Find the car on the list of products that you have, click the "Manage" button
3. Use your web browser "view source" function to get up the source code (e.g. on Chrome you right-click the page and select "view source" on the pop up menu.
4. Search the text (on Chrome this is Ctrl-F) for "5yj", which is the first three characters of any Tesla VIN. If you get a hit, look at it and see if it is part of a full VIN (sometimes there are other codes on the page which have that string). There is your hidden VIN.

As to why they are hidden, these are not official until the car is delivered. The vehicle that you have assigned might fall off a truck or arrive in an unserviceable condition and have to be swapped for another vehicle. Once the vehicle is officially assigned, the VIN is visible.

Well that is the Tesla email username syntax, but I once tried sending an email to “[email protected]” and it bounced.

I’ve met Robyn a couple of times, but I doubt she’d remember me, and no I don’t have an email address or phone number for her.
Elon has a *special* email which I was told years ago but have since forgotten.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: Hovean and TASKA9
Delivery: Richmond, Victoria
Reservation: 2/4/2016
Order: 20/8/2019
Vehicle: White SR+
Hidden VIN 4431xx, car arrived SYD on Cap Capricorn 16/8

Have chased an invoice recently to get finance sorted, radio silence...

Almost 2 months the car has been sitting around collecting dust and discharging. So glad Tesla have ramped up RHD production numbers, pity they can't do the same with delivery.

I know all will be mostly forgotten once I receive the car but just give people a date.

Any visibility on how many cars are being delivered since the EOQ rush?

Reactions: Bluebay