Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning Message "Car Needs Service Call Tesla Service"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me today. Visited sis and on my way home, the center screen (and only center screen) popped up with a "car needs service" message. I promptly stopped and headed back to my sister's in case it was something bad. Center screen was unresponsive. I did a reboot and everything went back to normal, so I drove home without a problem. Now I wonder if it will act up again for mothers day.

Just place a service call and they'll analyze the logs and get back to you in a short time (30-60 minutes has been my experience).

Just got this last night too. I called, they said nothing critical in the logs, can drive the car no issues, and will get a call from the local service team on Monday morning after a review of the logs. He did offer that it could be cooling pump-related warning. (It also reminded me to add Tesla Service as a contact on my phone.)

It just so happens that the the temps have been 105+ the last couple days, and I was out and about a lot yesterday (and pre-cooled the most I have since last summer). I'm on the .94 variant of 5.9.

So, I'm guessing its the same. I'll have the them add the plate and rotate the tires when they take care of this too. I have about 16500 miles.

My experience was similar to @Apoclyps, except my car was parked in my driveway at the time. Last Friday 16 May, my MS was in my driveway. I had washed the car a few hours earlier. Outside temperatures were in the 60's, so it was not hot. And the driveway is shaded, so there was no direct sun exposure. I got into the car and immediately noticed a red "Car Needs Service" banner across the top of my 17" screen. The screen was not responsive to any touch actions. I rebooted the 17" screen and the warning disappeared and the screen was again functional. I called local Tesla service folks at Rockville MD and they looked at my logs and said they couldn't see anything wrong but would write up a report for Tesla engineering to investigate. I also asked them about the claim made earlier in this thread that "a reboot clears the logs." They told me that is incorrect; a reboot does NOT clear the logs. I've heard nothing back from Tesla after that, but the car has operated correctly since the reboot.

Additionally, here in the Washington DC area, we Tesla owners have a known problem with voice connectivity which requires a separate patch to be sent over the air to the car. If a reboot of the center console is initiated, the patch is wiped out and one has to call Tesla and request the patch to be sent again. I did so and voice connectivity was restored when I tested it about an hour or two later.

Update: Tesla service telephoned me late yesterday afternoon to follow up on my issue. They asked only one question: Did I have a USB device plugged in? I did not have a USB device plugged in; in fact, I've not used the USB ports since the car's delivery 13 months ago (I brought a USB stick with songs on it as a test during delivery). Tesla added my response to this question to the report.

Update: Tesla service telephoned me late yesterday afternoon to follow up on my issue. They asked only one question: Did I have a USB device plugged in? I did not have a USB device plugged in; in fact, I've not used the USB ports since the car's delivery 13 months ago (I brought a USB stick with songs on it as a test during delivery). Tesla added my response to this question to the report.

This is the same set of questions they asked me, too. Some USB devices cause the MCP to hang as it tries to sync up. In my case, we figured out that the touchscreen had been confused by spray from a soda bottle being opened, and once well cleaned the tendency for the car to generate alerts and stop responding to touchscreen went away.

I had a series of unexplained "needs service" warnings within the first few months of owning the car. It never prevented me from charging or driving, though on two occasions the car also disabled regen and traction control and warned about that as well. After much pursuing of logs and several attempted local fixes, Tesla decided the problem was an intermittent connection in the wiring harness that required them to remove the rear bench and passenger seat to address.

The car has performed flawlessly ever since that round of major surgery.

So basically, it sounds like we're all experiencing varied issues in the catch-all "Contact Tesla Service" bucket.

So I suppose we have to listen to the error message. :)

If the touchscreen stops responding when the error pops up, it may point to USB or touchscreen recognition issues. But it appears much broader than those problems.

Just got the "Car Needs Service - Call Tesla Service" warning after driving about an hour in 85-90 degree heat. Called Tesla and they detected a warning message they'll forward to my local SC who'll call tomorrow w further details. The guy I talked to said he was unable to tell what the specific issue was. I *have* noticed the AC has sounded louder than usual recently so maybe it's a cooling issue. They didn't say not to drive it so I hope it's OK to take to work tomorrow. Will update this when I know more.

By the way, I just called Tesla Ownership Experience 877-79TESLA. Option 2 was something like "if you have a question about your Tesla" which I chose and that worked.

Ranger came to my house today (on a Saturday) and replaced one of the three cooling units that had showed a "fault". Said the other two were working well which is why it was safe to drive. Apparently the recent hot weather has caused a number of these units to fail - the Ranger was headed to another client after me to replace the same cooling unit. Awesome service though.

I went out to the car this morning and had this message. Wasn't there when I parked last night. Noticed a loud buzzing from the front of the car -- went off when the AC shut off, but it was louder than normal (my wife commented). Also noticed that the car lost 11 miles of range last night (I left it unplugged since I only drove 4 miles yesterday and don't plan to drive much today). That's much more than recent vampire loss (which averaged 3 miles loss per day when I had the car parked at the airport for nearly a week when I went to Russia earlier this month...)

We took my wife's car to Starbucks instead. Will call Tesla when I get home...

Interesting that a few of us from the Phoenix area have all gotten this in the last couple weeks...

edit:
We didn't get back until later this afternoon. Car had lost another 4 miles of range by then, and you can hear a soft whirring from outside the car, even though it's locked. I called Tesla and they said nothing appears wrong, but they pulled logs and sent to the local service center. Car is not sleeping (the app goes in immediately). I tried rebooting both the dash and center console, but same issues...

Last edited:
I went out to the car this morning and had this message . . . Interesting that a few of us from the Phoenix area have all gotten this in the last couple weeks...

Add me to the list. I received the alert late this afternoon and drove straight to the service center. Cooling pump replacement is planned, but they said I could drive the car until the part is delivered. There's apparently a backlog and after reading other recent posts, I can surmise as to why. In any event, they kept the car to investigate and address another alert - that their systems identified while at the service center - relating to the 12 volt battery. They're going to address the battery issue and install the titanium plate Thursday and then I'm supposed to come back when the cooling pump arrives.

The "Car needs service . . ." alert apparently will stay on until the issue is fixed. Ok if what I was told is correct, and that is that the alert with that exact language relates specifically - and exclusively - to the cooling pump issue, but based on others' posts, the alert also may apparently be intended to cover other issues as well. So what if in the interim, another issue triggers that same alert? I won't know because it will always be on and I'll be relying on the belief that it's only connected to the cooling pump issue, which has already been analyzed. To be safe, I'm thinking I may be driving my ICE until the cooling pump arrives and is installed.

Last edited:
And add me to the list too! Car was parked in the garage all night and when I started it this morning (77-80 degrees) I had the "Car Needs Service" warning in red at the top of the touch screen and the screen was unresponsive. I rebooted and all cleared. Called service who pulled logs while I drove. Told it was nothing serious but they want to schedule a Ranger service in 3 weks to "check cooling pumps" just to be safe. Assuming all is fine until then I do appreciate the proactive response. First problem in 10 months of ownership and slowed me down for the minute it took to reboot (didn't want to leave the driveway until I was sure all was safe).

I had a (possibly) related issue.

We drove to Oregon a couple weeks ago and stayed at the Crater Lake RV Site (with 50 amp service). The wifi connection was very poor, so I drove the vehicle to the office to gain a better connection. When I got there I selected the wifi ssid and waited while it connected. While waiting I heard a whining sound behind the dashboard (believed to be a fan/heatsink combo). Then I noticed the "outside" temperature reading go from 71F to 101F. It was still 71F outside. After disconnecting the wifi, the temperature remained. When I drove away, the temperature (and whine) slowly lowered until it reached 91F back at my campsite. I noticed it was back to normal the next morning. NOTE: The RV office also has some kind of cell-phone "booster" area -- which may be a factor.

A few days later we super-charged in Mount Shasta. I decided to stop charging while it was still going "hot" (250+ amps, coolant system is whining) by unplugging the cable -- instead of clicking on the touchscreen to stop it. When I got in the car, I saw a message "Car may not restart, see tesla service" (or something like that).

We arrived home 1 day later. After unpacking/resting (~5 hours), I tried to start the car but it would not start ("Car will not start, see service..."). Tesla service took good care of me, but the only problem they found was the high-voltage connector on the battery needed replacement.

They still couldn't explain the incident at Crater Lake RV even after looking at the logs (they never confirmed they saw the temperature jump -- either they didn't find the logs or they were erased).

Not to resurrect an old thread, but we just ran into this problem over the past week. While supercharging on a trip, a few hours from home, we got the message "Car May Not Restart" and that service may be required. Dashed the hopes of a stop along the rest of the drive, and drove gingerly to our destination. Having made it, tested the car the next morning, and it started just fine.

A few days later, the same thing happened again. On both days it was around 70degF ambient, so very reasonable weather, AC was set to 68degF. Again, reached the destination (<15 miles, and stopped for a while). Haven't had the issue pop up since, in the past few days.

We did contact our local Tesla service center immediately after getting the second service warning, but have not heard back yet. This is a 2016 Model S 70D, original nosecone & charger.

Got the call this afternoon after pinging SC again - said they had "trouble pulling the logs" but were finally able to and saw some faults but need to car to diagnose. They are coming to pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a good answer from them after we get it back.