Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty Adjustment Program – Touchscreen Component email - Wow - watch for it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the original owner of a 2015 Model S with 67k miles. My MCU1 has failed twice and is now showing signs of a 3rd failure. Tesla has fixed it twice - most recently Jan 2020. I entered my VIN into the Recall Search URLs provided by Tesla...

Is my Model S/X affected by this recall?
All owners can check if their VIN is affected at either the Tesla VIN Recall Search or the NHTSA VIN Recall Search.
This returns the following result...

No recalls found. Refresh Date: Feb 3, 2021

I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

Mine is now listed and there are some interesting details about what specific firmware versions contain specific changes to mitigate the issue (not just 2020.48.12 mentioned in the email):

Search results for "5YJSA1H48FF0XXXXX":
Make: Tesla Model: Model S General Production-2015 Year: 2015
Recall DateFeb 2, 2021 Refresh DateFeb 2, 2021 Recall Number21V035 Description The eMMC flash memory device is rated for an industry-standard 3,000 Program/Erase (“P/E”) cycles. Over time, and depending on usage of the affected component, the eMMC hardware exhausts cycles for each NAND cell. When the eMMC NAND cell hardware reaches lifetime wear, as measured by the number of P/E cycles and remaining available storage capacity, the eMMC controller will no longer be able to maintain the integrity of the filesystem. This wear-out condition can cause failures of the center display software components, and may indirectly cause loss of the rearview camera display, defrost/defog control settings, and exterior turn signal lighting.

Status Recall INCOMPLETE

Safety Risk While we are not aware of any crash, injury, or fatality resulting from this condition, unavailability of the rearview camera display, defrost/defog control settings for purposes of ensuring visibility, and exterior turn signal lighting may increase the risk of a crash. For vehicles for which these functions are not available, drivers can continue to operate the vehicle by performing a shoulder check and using their mirrors when backing, taking care when making turns, and assuring clear visibility when driving.

Remedy In 2020, Tesla deployed several OTA firmware updates to address certain functionalities that may be lost when the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear. Specifically, on vehicles equipped with: • FW release 2020.24.6.11 or newer, the defrosting/defogging settings will maintain the user’s selection for the duration of the drive cycle in which the eMMC wears out. On all subsequent drive cycles, the defrosting/defogging settings will automatically set the ambient cabin temperature to 22 degrees C (71.6 degrees F) and initiate windshield defrosting/defogging to ensure sufficient windshield visibility. In addition, all exterior lighting controls and chimes will continue to function normally after eMMC wear-out. • FW release 2020.48.12 or newer, the rearview camera display will continue to display on the center display after eMMC wear-out and an alert will now appear on the center display anywhere from one to six months before the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear to notify most consumers of the wear status and to inform them that they should contact Tesla Service. As of January 22, 2021, 88% of all US vehicles affected by this recall report are operating all the aforementioned FW updates. Based on the above, Tesla believes that the aforementioned OTA FW updates remedy any potential safety risk presented by the eMMC wear-out condition. However, in the interest of ensuring the best possible ownership experience for affected customers, Tesla will also replace the eMMC on all affected vehicles or reimburse any affected customers who previously paid to replace an eMMC, Visual Compute Module (“VCM”) daughterboard, or MCU that was determined to be caused by accumulated wear of the eMMC. The eMMC is a component on the VCM daughterboard within the MCU. To be specific, Tesla will replace the VCM daughterboard that has the Hynix 8GB eMMC with a VCM daughterboard that has an enhanced 64GB Micron eMMC, free of charge.

Mine is now listed and there are some interesting details about what specific firmware versions contain specific changes to mitigate the issue (not just 2020.48.12 mentioned in the email):

Search results for "5YJSA1H48FF0XXXXX":
Make: Tesla Model: Model S General Production-2015 Year: 2015
Remedy In 2020, Tesla deployed several OTA firmware updates to address certain functionalities that may be lost when the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear. Specifically, on vehicles equipped with: • FW release 2020.24.6.11 or newer, the defrosting/defogging settings will maintain the user’s selection for the duration of the drive cycle in which the eMMC wears out. On all subsequent drive cycles, the defrosting/defogging settings will automatically set the ambient cabin temperature to 22 degrees C (71.6 degrees F) and initiate windshield defrosting/defogging to ensure sufficient windshield visibility. In addition, all exterior lighting controls and chimes will continue to function normally after eMMC wear-out. • FW release 2020.48.12 or newer, the rearview camera display will continue to display on the center display after eMMC wear-out and an alert will now appear on the center display anywhere from one to six months before the eMMC reaches accumulated lifetime wear to notify most consumers of the wear status and to inform them that they should contact Tesla Service. As of January 22, 2021, 88% of all US vehicles affected by this recall report are operating all the aforementioned FW updates. Based on the above, Tesla believes that the aforementioned OTA FW updates remedy any potential safety risk presented by the eMMC wear-out condition. However, in the interest of ensuring the best possible ownership experience for affected customers, Tesla will also replace the eMMC on all affected vehicles or reimburse any affected customers who previously paid to replace an eMMC, Visual Compute Module (“VCM”) daughterboard, or MCU that was determined to be caused by accumulated wear of the eMMC. The eMMC is a component on the VCM daughterboard within the MCU. To be specific, Tesla will replace the VCM daughterboard that has the Hynix 8GB eMMC with a VCM daughterboard that has an enhanced 64GB Micron eMMC, free of charge.

My daughterboard was replaced in September of 2020 and I was charged $200 under the extended warranty program. Does the above mean that Tesla has to refund that $200? I'd love to know who to contact regarding this. My MCU1 w/ new daughterboard is failing again. Black screen multiple times when I've gotten into the car. Long reboots. Now my IC shows an error "Center Screen Unavailable" that won't go away even after the touch screen reboots and starts working again.

The software worked just fine when the car was new in 2013. All of this f*cking around with the software has made my car WORSE! I would give anything to have my original software back again and disable all of these useless software updates.

I received this....

Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall.
If a malfunction occurs, you may experience a persistent blank centre display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen, loss of certain functionalities, and/or a vehicle alert to contact Service. There is no risk to vehicle drivability, including no effect on acceleration, braking or steering, and we are not aware of any accidents or injuries resulting from this condition.
If your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or newer and the eMMC malfunctions, then the rearview backup camera will remain available, the exterior turn signal lighting will remain functional, and the windshield defogging and defrosting controls will automatically default to a preset cabin temperature to ensure windshield visibility. If your vehicle is operating software older than 2020.48.12 and the eMMC malfunctions, then you may lose these functionalities. Please ensure that your vehicle is operating software release 2020.48.12 or a newer release. To find your current software release, complete an update or review a list of possible malfunctions, please visit our Support page. If the touchscreen is unavailable, then please perform a blind spot check and use your mirrors to reverse safely.
Additionally, Tesla will upgrade, free of charge, the eMMC on your vehicle with an enhanced 64GB eMMC.There is no need at this time to contact us as we will notify you when the parts become available. We kindly ask that you do not schedule a service appointment unless you receive a vehicle alert signaling memory storage device degradation or are actively experiencing a persistent blank centre display that does not recover after restarting the touchscreen. If you already paid for repairs that addressed the condition covered by this recall, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will share details about reimbursement and eligibility by the end of March 2021.
Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologise for this inconvenience.

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
Just received the email about reimbursement requests starting. Painless process to submit the request, as after you log in, the system already recognized the date my daughter card was replaced so all I had to do was confirm mailing address for check to be sent, assuming it gets approved.
There’s a section for people who had repairs/swaps done by a third party to provide details as well. Good luck everyone! :)

Just received the email about reimbursement requests starting. Painless process to submit the request, as after you log in, the system already recognized the date my daughter card was replaced so all I had to do was confirm mailing address for check to be sent, assuming it gets approved.
There’s a section for people who had repairs/swaps done by a third party to provide details as well. Good luck everyone! :)
Unfortunately, it shows we are ineligible on all cars. Some had the infotainment upgrade done. Others were never diagnosed with the problem.

Unfortunately, it shows we are ineligible on all cars. Some had the infotainment upgrade done. Others were never diagnosed with the problem.
I got the infotainment upgrade, but the website says "review needed" and "may be eligible upon review" under the different headings. I had service diagnosis the vehicle back in 2019, because I could tell that the MCU was acting up.

I got the infotainment upgrade, but the website says "review needed" and "may be eligible upon review" under the different headings. I had service diagnosis the vehicle back in 2019, because I could tell that the MCU was acting up.
Yeah, unfortunately, we never had them do a diagnosis since we already knew the cause of the problem! We weren't expecting a full reimbursement for the MCU2 upgrade but it would've been nice if they'd refunded $500 or so to those who paid $2500 because of the problems they were having with MCU1 and knowing they would just return if replaced with another MCU1 unit.

I had my MCU replaced due to the eMMC issue last Feb/2020. However Tesla says I am not eligible for refund. I can't even "Submit" my form so that they can give me an explanation as to why. Not the most pleasant experience to address this.

Yeah, unfortunately, we never had them do a diagnosis since we already knew the cause of the problem! We weren't expecting a full reimbursement for the MCU2 upgrade but it would've been nice if they'd refunded $500 or so to those who paid $2500 because of the problems they were having with MCU1 and knowing they would just return if replaced with another MCU1 unit.
I had it replaced outside of warranty due to mileage. Maybe that is why the website accepted my form submission.

8GB eMMC Reimbursement Frequently Asked Questions

TESLA
This notice is to inform you that, after reviewing your request for reimbursement under Tesla’s General Recall Reimbursement Plan for the 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit, Tesla has determined that your request is ineligible for reimbursement because repair was not for condition described in Recall.

For more information regarding the recall and the reimbursement process please visit the support page. If you would like Tesla to further review your request for reimbursement, please reply to this email with any additional supporting documentation for your reimbursement. Please note any further reviews will cause additional time in processing of your reimbursement request.

MCU1 failed on my 2012 about 2 years ago. I paid for the MCU replacement. Now I think Tesla has split hairs and given me the middle finger.

TESLA

This notice is to inform you that, after reviewing your request for reimbursement under Tesla’s General Recall Reimbursement Plan for the 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit, Tesla has determined that your request is ineligible for reimbursement because repair was not for condition described in Recall.

For more information regarding the recall and the reimbursement process please visit the support page. If you would like Tesla to further review your request for reimbursement, please reply to this email with any additional supporting documentation for your reimbursement. Please note any further reviews will cause additional time in processing of your reimbursement request.

MCU1 failed on my 2012 about 2 years ago. I paid for the MCU replacement. Now I think Tesla has split hairs and given me the middle finger.
Looks about right for Tesla these days, what's the problem?

• Informative
Reactions: Opus BC fan