Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To do waypoints correctly, it needs to be setup like abetterrouteplanner.com where you can enter non Tesla chargers and specify charge time and power at a location, and then continue via Superchargers. There would be to many cases where you couldn't do a round trip if you were limited to Superchargers or listed destinations chargers only. Maybe Tesla realized this and didnt want the extra complexity. Hopefully they figure it out. Maybe just intergrate abettereoutellanner? seems to work pretty darn well..

Maybe just intergrate abettereoutellanner? seems to work pretty darn well..

I know I am veering off topic here. I cannot use this website.

(1) The map only shows northern Europe. I cannot get it to show any other part of planet Earth.
(2) Units are in kilometers, and I will not convert back and forth for a long journey.
(3) All the hieroglyphics make zero sense to me.
(4) I could not find an instruction page to print to use as a guide

I suspect that the problem is with me, and that is OK.

So it is EVTripplanner for this clumsy person.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I know I am veering off topic here. I cannot use this website.

(1) The map only shows northern Europe. I cannot get it to show any other part of planet Earth.
(2) Units are in kilometers, and I will not convert back and forth for a long journey.
(3) All the hieroglyphics make zero sense to me.
(4) I could not find an instruction page to print to use as a guide

I suspect that the problem is with me, and that is OK.

So it is EVTripplanner for this clumsy person.
If you zoom out, you can move the map to the US. Alternatively, just put your starting and ending points and it will show the correct map.

You can also change the units by clicking on Show Settings and then Show More Settings.

The support thread for ABRP is here: A Better Routeplanner

Waypoints and route customization are two key missing features in Tesla's navigation software - something Tesla could have done even with the V1 navigation software since the route planning UI was implemented in Tesla's software and then sent to the 3rd party nav app to route between start and end points (how Tesla was able to adding supercharging stops to the routes).

A flaw in NOAP today is that you're stuck with the routing provided by Tesla's navigation software. If you prefer to take a different route, you'll end up turning off NOAP and going back to manual driving.

In the ICEs I owned before purchasing our first Tesla in early 2013, those vehicles had waypoints and route customization (providing the ability to select among several routes offered by the nav software).

When the V2 nav software was introduced, Tesla indicated that we'd be seeing additional functionality that would be easier to implement now that Tesla was not relying on 3rd party software. And like the media player, we've yet to see any significant functionality improvements.

Even if the Easter Eggs only use a few resources to add farting and Atari apps - would prefer they put those resources on the nav software and media player, fixing the obvious bugs and adding the obvious missing features...

Just wanted to update this thread with some information we gathered. We found this discussion in our search to figure out if this idea is actually "acknowledged" by Tesla/Elon. We were excited to see that Franz agreed with us that this is an important feature.

However, we also found a contradictory response from Elon on Twitter. He shut it down pretty quickly.

Not sure why Tesla is so mum about this request. Our theory is that it is a difficult UX experience to get right, and Tesla wants to really make it perfect. We took a look at a few implementations like Waze and ABRP - it does require a lot of steps and numerous variables. Definitely a challenge to make it simple and easy.

If you want to lend your support to this idea, we are tracking it here. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment. We will continue to keep an eye on this and report back as we hear more.

Just wanted to update this thread with some information we gathered. We found this discussion in our search to figure out if this idea is actually "acknowledged" by Tesla/Elon. We were excited to see that Franz agreed with us that this is an important feature.

However, we also found a contradictory response from Elon on Twitter. He shut it down pretty quickly.

Not sure why Tesla is so mum about this request. Our theory is that it is a difficult UX experience to get right, and Tesla wants to really make it perfect. We took a look at a few implementations like Waze and ABRP - it does require a lot of steps and numerous variables. Definitely a challenge to make it simple and easy.

If you want to lend your support to this idea, we are tracking it here. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment. We will continue to keep an eye on this and report back as we hear more.
OMG, I forgot about this thread I created. Thanks for opening it back up. While I am sure that there are many complex variables to program this language, it has to be a minuscule fraction of what Tesla has already accomplished. How hard can it be?

(Point A to Point B) + (Point B to Point C).

It is simple math. Choose a destination, then have a "+" sign for "Add another destination". My TomTom from 1999 had waypoints (and still does, as it remains operational, though thrown into a drawer). With an EV, this makes even more sense as I currently can only determine my range via a direct route. People need to make other stops sometimes. This is not a new concept!

Reactions: emulajavi
The V2 navigation software is following the same pattern as the other Tesla apps (except for FSD/AutoPilot) - after Tesla releases the software, we see few (if any changes) other than updates to the user interface.

Musk's primary focus is still on getting FSD working, and any changes needed to support FSD/NOAP in the navigation software will be implemented. But anything else appears to be placed at such a low priority that we may never see obvious features like waypoints (which would actually be very useful for EVs - in helping to manage charging for the entire trip - not just the first stop).

This is what we've seen with the media player - that has bugs and obvious issues that are 7 to 8 years old (still doesn't handle resume from sleep, still has problems with USB, ...).

It was easy to understand Tesla's need to focus their limited software resources in the early days of S & X on new functionality. But we're well past that stage, and at some point, customers are going to expect software that is fully functional with obvious bugs fixed and a complete set of features - something Tesla's competitors will likely have if/when they can figure out how to deliver competitive long range EVs.

Or maybe we'll be surprised and the next major software release will start delivering long-promised features like waypoints...

The V2 navigation software is following the same pattern as the other Tesla apps (except for FSD/AutoPilot) - after Tesla releases the software, we see few (if any changes) other than updates to the user interface.

Musk's primary focus is still on getting FSD working, and any changes needed to support FSD/NOAP in the navigation software will be implemented. But anything else appears to be placed at such a low priority that we may never see obvious features like waypoints (which would actually be very useful for EVs - in helping to manage charging for the entire trip - not just the first stop).

This is what we've seen with the media player - that has bugs and obvious issues that are 7 to 8 years old (still doesn't handle resume from sleep, still has problems with USB, ...).

It was easy to understand Tesla's need to focus their limited software resources in the early days of S & X on new functionality. But we're well past that stage, and at some point, customers are going to expect software that is fully functional with obvious bugs fixed and a complete set of features - something Tesla's competitors will likely have if/when they can figure out how to deliver competitive long range EVs.

Or maybe we'll be surprised and the next major software release will start delivering long-promised features like waypoints...
Hey - they can't even get their solar panel tools to work properly. If you can't subtract an energy bill of say April with solar panels with the April energy bill without tesla solar panels, how can you expect them to do something slightly harder? Their tool skews the months by about 4. They do somethings so well, and other things worse than - I'm looking for words here - an incompetent newbie. WTH?

I forgot that I started this thread. It was 4 years ago that I met Franz and told him that I could not plan a route, and only a single destination. He exclaimed: "Waypoints! They're coming!".

Four. Years.

Finally, they have arrived, and probably only because of the Plaid event, where everyone yelled out how important it was. Elon had choice but to cave. Why he was against this, I have no idea. Anyway, I am on the latest update and played with the waypoints today. Just in time for an upcoming trip where there are not destination chargers or superchargers.