Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What are people that bought Full FSD doing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Physically?...No. Practically?...Yes. Radar isn't used in FSD-b and it shows. I had one or two phantom braking before FSD-B...after...I'm pretty much holding a cm of pressure on the accelerator constantly. I'm going to wait until the next FSD-b version and if the PB doesn't get any better, I'm opting out.

My car was also advertised with radar, but it no longer has that...soooo....

So your car DOES have radar, but Tesla disabled it because they decided it wasn't needed.

Many people indicate that they haven't noticed a difference in phantom braking. I haven't. At least no more difference than has existed between releases in the past.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sporty

Tesla FSD - make it TRANSFERABLE so we can buy new Teslas!​

I started a petition to get this changed!!

SIGN HERE: Sign the Petition

We paid thousands for Full Self-Driving that has yet to become reality. Having to pay for it a 2nd time at a much higher amount stops me and so many others from upgrading their Tesla.

Us Tesla owners love to have the new versions and are willing to pay for regular upgrades, but with a $15,000 penalty, it doesn't make sense.

Elon Musk can easily make it transferable to a new vehicle which I am sure would significantly DRIVE SALES.

I and a large number of my friends would buy a new one tomorrow if FSD was transferable!

Win-Win!

I signed this, can't hurt. My take on this is very simple. If you trade in the car and do NOT buy a Tesla you get some money on it back because its baked into the vehicle's price at trade-in or sale. If you DO buy a Tesla there is no good reason you should not get the option to transfer since you are supporting the company. It may screw over some used car buyers who then would have fork out for FSD but on a used car I feel like they could pro-rate it to keep the price point competitive.

Reactions: preilly44
If FSD did today, 100% of everything Elon said it would do (and do it well) by now? I'd 100% pay $10k cash for FSD. But for what it does today (and forseeable future)? I'd offer no more than $100 for it.
Green light chime is worth at least 1K. How much would you pay for autopilot if it wasn’t included? I’d pay 10k for it. They just included a lot of driver assistance software for free so the extra stuff doesn’t feel like a whole lot. If they made the autopilot suite part of fsd, I think people would feel differently.

Oh, that's going to be a while though. HW4 is just barely entering production now, so what's the expected lifespan of 2022 Model 3 and Y? I hope at least 10-20 years. Of course FSD take rates are low (and may actually get lower over time as these cars are traded in to Tesla and resold without FSD potentially). Still, doesn't that mean there's hundreds of thousand of HW3 FSD cars on the road in 15 years? We know the current full FSD fleet size size is somewhere around 400,000k, likely biased somewhat towards newer cars.
If you don't sell a used car to Tesla, they can't remove the FSD right or wrong? They have to have the car in possession to remove it.

Im quickly approaching the boat where I'll want to upgrade this year/next but have full FSD on the car. When I bought in 2020 I didn't have any doubt that Elons promises would manifest by now, but I was clearly duped into dumping thousands for FSD for features that have still not manifested in the lifetime of the car.

Tesla continues to throw its early adopters in the trash, and wont recognize the full 15k FSD value they advertise in trade in, and refuse to transfer FSD to a new car so we at least have the chance to use what we paid for in our next car.

Are people that have bought FSD 4-5 years ago just eating that cost and moving on? I feel trapped since a significant value of my car is in FSD, and that value is not being recognized by Tesla, I can't transfer it to a new car if I want to upgrade, and want FSD but dont want to pay 15k for it again to be screwed over or give up that up for a 200 a month fee.

Really sucks and dont understand why the small % of full FSD owners can't take their license with them until all features are working as advertised. Really disingenuous of Tesla to all of us that paid for it...
It’s sunk cost, not “value”! 🤣

Even better - let me own my own FSD license. Let me "give it to myself" if I bought a different vehicle. Or let me sell it to someone else on the free market. But only one instance of FSD per license.

Yes, I know. It's never going to happen.
FSD becomes part of the car when purchased. That's just like many of the other options on other cars. There are actually some legal ramifications to it, like the ability to roll it into the car loan. You'll notice that Tesla does list is as an option just like paint color or performance.

Yes, allowing it to be rented does tend to mess the scenario up, but it is what it is.

Tesla also offers performance boost as a purchase; it stays with the car.

And OMG, think of the problems that would occur if it was something as simple as a "license." First I'd see is people selling a car with FSD and then transferring it after the car was sold. Then there's what it I am not buying a Tesla as my next car but will buy one after that. It tends to get messy quickly.
I've bought two copies of it.

Wrong

@Supcom explained it. I was just wanted to provide an explicit and short answer.

If you buy from a private individual or you buy from a dealer, it will stay.
You need to be careful about buying a used car with FSD. Tesla has been known to be slow in removing FSD from cars that are traded in to them. So, the eventual buyer purchases the car from a dealer who bought from Tesla at auction. When they bought the car, the software screen shows the car has FSD included. Afterward, Tesla catches up and disables FSD and the buyer is screwed.

Bottom line is if you buy a used Tesla with FSD from a dealer, be sure to get it listed as one of the options you are buying.

I have FSD now and I'm planning to upgrade my S this year. I plan to buy EAP for $6k and subscribe to FSD ($100/month if you have EAP) when it becomes worthwhile. If you enjoy the EAP features, I suggest you do the same. I do have FSD Beta now, which I won't get with EAP, but my wife's 3 has FSD Beta too, so I can still play around with it.

I never believed we would have real self driving anytime soon, so I'm not really disappointed in that respect. I do wish I could transfer FSD to my next car, especially since I only paid $3k for it at the time (I already had EAP), but I wasn't expecting I would be able to.
That is what I did with my 2018, bought EAP then added FSD subscription last year when it finally added more value. No regrets. My 2022 is a lease, turns out adding full FSD added about $130 to the lease, versus a $200 a month subscription. Do added the full FSD. Got the lease because I figured Tesla needed to upgrade the HW more to actually achieve true FSD. Seems like I made the right call ;-)

Green light chime is worth at least 1K. How much would you pay for autopilot if it wasn’t included? I’d pay 10k for it. They just included a lot of driver assistance software for free so the extra stuff doesn’t feel like a whole lot. If they made the autopilot suite part of fsd, I think people would feel differently.
Green light chime will be worth MAYBE 1k when it stops getting confused when it’s three lanes and the turn arrow signal confuses it when that signal is different from the signals in the non turning lanes.

It might chime…might not. Random

Last edited:
Reactions: Sporty
I signed this, can't hurt. My take on this is very simple. If you trade in the car and do NOT buy a Tesla you get some money on it back because its baked into the vehicle's price at trade-in or sale. If you DO buy a Tesla there is no good reason you should not get the option to transfer since you are supporting the company. It may screw over some used car buyers who then would have fork out for FSD but on a used car I feel like they could pro-rate it to keep the price point competitive.
Tesla will do it - if they want to sell more cars and want to give incentives for current owners to upgrade. They apparently don't have any issues finding new buyers ...

Anyway, I suspect Tesla will eventually go with only subscriptions. So, they don't want to transfer FSD.

Ah, well. The trolls are out in force, I see.

So, I'm punting around in a 2018 M3 LR RWD with FSD, the computer upgrade that came with it, and the Beta, even.

Perfect? Nope. Better than a poke in the eye? You betcha.

Took four-odd trips today, about 15 miles each way. Car got stuck twice trying to turn onto four-lane local roads: Too Much Heavy, 50 mph Traffic (semis, regular cars, you name it, with construction blocking views). As a human, I do a better job of judging when a hole might open up and did so.

But, after doing that: Car got onto on-ramps, merged with other traffic, and stayed out of trouble. I kept an eye on traffic and Let The Car Do The Driving. Car got onto off-ramps, navigated local roads, turned at lights, stop signs, and so on. More hesitant than a human, but not bad.

Heads and shoulders better then when I first started using it back in the first quarter of 2022.

Does one have to keep a serious eye on what the car's doing? Yup. Is it ... dangerous??? Nope. Not if one keeps the proverbial eye out. Otherwise it would be.

There's the glass half-empty folks posting around here, some of them of the opinion that Any Error Is A Fatal Error And The Sky Is Falling And Musk Is A Cheat: Straight out of TeslaQ, I swear. (Yes, that's a straw man argument. But, still.) I'm more of a glass half-full type: Nearly all the time the car appears to be navigating along fairly well.

I still get the odd phantom, mild braking once or twice in a hundred miles. The people screaming, "It's alarming on not paying attention all the time!", well, I don't see that. 4th quarter last year chugging back and forth between NJ and FL there was a bit more of that, but it seems to have calmed down.

I'm actually looking forward to the R11 stuff coming. Reports are that the developers are trying really hard to kill off all those regressions. And I've listened to them talk at the investors' conference last week. They talk a good line and it seems like they're telling the truth. Dunno if HW4 is going to be required or not (that's another idea that attracts the trolls like rotting meat to flies); the people involved writing the code say no and I'm inclined to trust them.