Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
YOU MUST KEEP THE TESLA APP OPEN 100% OF THE TIME! This is the #1 reason for “lack of reliability” with the telephone key.
I’ve never closed it., it has every permission I know how to give it. And it did work perfectly for three months.

It’s feeling like the early days of PCs when there were all these mysterious interactions among drivers and such that made troubleshooting nearly impossible and problems incredibly hard to reproduce reliably. I’m just glad I don’t have the phantom breaking one (yet)!

Reactions: legendsk and THEbuz
While I know these are wishlists for Tesla to do themselves (and I agree with most of these wishlists), the good thing about the Tesla community is that there are many 3rd party vendors that have solved some of these issues.
Agree... you can spend thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours installing aftermarket parts to bring a Tesla up to market. But these are often janky looks, especially if you add everything - starts to look like Doc Brown's DeLorean. And the rub is that most of these dreams are things that every other comparable car has had for years.

I have a few of these already and am adding the power frunk now. But no way I would do the auto-presenting door handles (way more wiring than I feel like) or the rear climate control, HUD, instrument cluster, CarPlay, S3XY buttons, puddle lights, etc. that look Cracker Jack box to me. (And I am a tech guy who can do almost any computer or automobile upgrade.)

I am thinking about trading for a GV70, Lyriq, Blazer EV, or Ioniq 7 for a number of these missing features. But if they showed up on a future Model Y, I would jump on that in a hot second.

Reactions: pilotSteve
After driving around a rental Y for a bit, currently visiting family out of town, there is one thing I'd like Tesla to do.

Let us temporarily add a rental Tesla to the Tesla app. That way we can pre heat or pre cool the car. Plus if it snows and gets cold like it did Christmas week, we can have the Tesla unlatch the door.
Was your rental from a traditional Car Rental company like Hertz? I'm surprised they don't let you add the car to your Tesla App. I guess they can't control making sure you delete it when your rental is over.

We have rented (and will be again this week) a Tesla through a private owner through the Turo app. Its up to the car owner to approve renters to add the car to their Tesla app. One rental we had through Turo, couldn't add any more drivers as the maximum number of drivers had been reached, probably from renters not deleting the car when the rental ended. We will be in Florida, so COOLING the car before driving will be more of the issue.

Everything I have seen, and Munro has reported, is that Tesla uses real wood in all of the vehicles, 3, Y, S, and X.
☹️ That just makes me dislike my white trim even more. When I imagined that the wood was fake, it made my white a little more tolerable. If I could buy any take-off parts from another Tesla, it would be to swap the wood trim back into my white interior car.

Many cars use real wood. It is typical in the Audi/Porsche/Lexus/BMW/MB/etc class of vehicles. When they do, it looks fantastic. (It is thin lamination over an aluminum frame.) I doubt the Tesla uses real wood, at least in the S/Y, but I have not seen that first-hand.

☹️ That just makes me dislike my white trim even more. When I imagined that the wood was fake, it made my white a little more tolerable. If I could buy any take-off parts from another Tesla, it would be to swap the wood trim back into my white interior car.
So looks like Tesla is up there with all these other manufacturers you quoted, but didn’t even have a clue what you were talking about.

I am thinking about trading for a GV70, Lyriq, Blazer EV, or Ioniq 7 for a number of these missing features. But if they showed up on a future Model Y, I would jump on that in a hot second.
do they offer real wood? tgese are certainly not any of the brands you listed before.

I think the issue may be how management prioritizes fart noises and video games vs driving functionality.
Yeah, fart noises and video games are so obviously mutually exclusive from driving functionality. But, what if, and hear me out, they could actually work on them simultaneously? That could be a management miracle! I bet we see this case study in the HBR by year end.

Yeah, fart noises and video games are so obviously mutually exclusive from driving functionality. But, what if, and hear me out, they could actually work on them simultaneously? That could be a management miracle! I bet we see this case study in the HBR by year end.
Or, what if... they took the resources used to make fart noises and port Sonic the hedgehog and put them towards hiring people experienced in UI design. or maybe a communications department? Now THAT would be a management miracle!

Well they know a lot of the people that complain have chit for brains so they thought they would be speaking your language

Or, what if... they took the resources used to make fart noises and port Sonic the hedgehog and put them towards hiring people experienced in UI design. or maybe a communications department? Now THAT would be a management miracle!
I was joking. But in any large scale development program, there are many areas that are simply not scalable because they center on core teams with irreducible complexity. Last year I was leading a large development program to build an online retailing platform. We had a few areas that were backlogged with the most work demand, but it concentrated on a couple core teams. We could not make the teams any larger to gain productivity, and the work to split them was too long to make a difference. We essentially had unlimited resources available to us, but there was little we could to to accelerate those teams. (But, we could have added anything else, like farting, without impacting those teams.)

It is like that nine women having a baby in a month cliche.
Well they know a lot of the people that complain have chit for brains so they thought they would be speaking your language
Yes, I am multilingual, and I understood your native tongue clearly.

Last edited: