Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your budget for the Model lll?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nav is one of those that cost $10 in hardware but will be priced at $1500.

I wrote this in another thread for Model 3, but I really think NAV would be included. Like you said, it's something that probably doesn't cost much in hardware, but what else would they do with a large screen in the centre of the car? There's only so much infotainment that one needs when driving. Better to make it more compelling than all the other cars in the segment by having it standard. Look how much all the other brands charge for a navigation package. This is such a low hanging fruit to tell everyone this is the car of the future. It's an even bigger statement if it's included in the base model as ModelNforNerd said.

I wrote this in another thread for Model 3, but I really think NAV would be included. Like you said, it's something that probably doesn't cost much in hardware, but what else would they do with a large screen in the centre of the car? There's only so much infotainment that one needs when driving. Better to make it more compelling than all the other cars in the segment by having it standard. Look how much all the other brands charge for a navigation package. This is such a low hanging fruit to tell everyone this is the car of the future. It's an even bigger statement if it's included in the base model as ModelNforNerd said.

Charging for NAV is a pretty easy profit maker. They could bundle it in the supercharger "package" if they go that route.

Interestingly, some new cars are going away from NAV and providing Google Maps integration with your favorite smartphone instead. There is speculation the Chevy Bolt won't have a NAV option at all in favor of Apple CarPlay and androids equivalent. I see the trend in that direction instead of built in navigation. (I don't like the trend - I prefer offline maps as I travel many remote roads with no cell signal. )

I expect that my Tesla Model ≡ P120D Coupe with Falcon Wing Doors will run me around $65,000 and that the matching Cabriolet will be around $75,000.
So you'll be buying one around 2021? :wink: :biggrin:

I'd be happy to get a P120D for $65,000 in 2018, but suspect such a thing won't exist yet.

To answer the original question -- not sure, I strongly suspect the new one will be the wife's car and she'll make the decisions about the must have items. Here's her probable minimum list:
150 mile range
7s 0-60
comfortable interior -- prolly upgraded radio, alcantra, heated steering wheel, tech package

So not really asking for much. We've got the Model S for the road trip car, so the Model ≡ can be the 'city' car.

Last edited:
As a current S85 owner here is my wishlist.

1. Same or better range than my current car
2. Smaller size
3. Same or better power to weight ratio. Preferably better.
4. RWD (Please let that be an option, FWD is a deal breaker for me, AWD is acceptable)
5. Supercharger
6. Autopilot
7. Nice interior.
8. Stunning exterior design
9. Nice touch-screen, preferably of the same quality as the S.

Basically what I expect is to configure a Model 3, tick all the range and performance boxes and if the trade-in price is acceptable then I will go for it. Otherwise I'll just keep the S.

My car certainly won't be a $35k base model and I'm fine with that.

Charging for NAV is a pretty easy profit maker. They could bundle it in the supercharger "package" if they go that route.

Interestingly, some new cars are going away from NAV and providing Google Maps integration with your favorite smartphone instead. There is speculation the Chevy Bolt won't have a NAV option at all in favor of Apple CarPlay and androids equivalent. I see the trend in that direction instead of built in navigation. (I don't like the trend - I prefer offline maps as I travel many remote roads with no cell signal. )
I don't care about included NAV at all. I have yet to see in-car nav systems that can beat my $150 standalone unit with lifetime map updates. It's nice to have it integrated (esp. with a large screen instead of the typically small screen of the others), but usually not worth the considerable premium esp. once you count in map updates (luckily Model S had 7 years included in Tech package).

Nav is one of those that cost $10 in hardware but will be priced at $1500.

Yes, but they have to buy the maps and nav-software from someone, and that will probably cost a lot more then $10 pr. car....

- - - Updated - - -

I don't care about included NAV at all. I have yet to see in-car nav systems that can beat my $150 standalone unit with lifetime map updates. It's nice to have it integrated (esp. with a large screen instead of the typically small screen of the others), but usually not worth the considerable premium esp. once you count in map updates (luckily Model S had 7 years included in Tech package).

What would be nice is to have a way to show the screen of your cellphone (or other items) on the console screen. That way you can use whatever NAV solution you already have or want to buy, and have is shown on the "big screen" in the car.

What would be nice is to have a way to show the screen of your cellphone (or other items) on the console screen. That way you can use whatever NAV solution you already have or want to buy, and have is shown on the "big screen" in the car.

That would be Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Many new cars are coming with these services, should be interesting to see if Tesla licenses the technology. I hope they do.

All i want is base Model III plus a panoramic sunroof, autopilot and supercharging. Say 37,650 dollars. If i can activate autopilot and supercharging at a later date i'll go that route. I expect a 10Kwh charger, at least a 60 or a 50 Kwh battery, heated seats,safety features and navigation as standard. This is a 35,000 car and will not pass with the same features of a base Hyundai.

All i want is base Model III plus a panoramic sunroof, autopilot and supercharging. Say 37,650 dollars. If i can activate autopilot and supercharging at a later date i'll go that route. I expect a 10Kwh charger, at least a 60 or a 50 Kwh battery, heated seats,safety features and navigation as standard. This is a 35,000 car and will not pass with the same features of a base Hyundai.
It is a 35K car - but its not a 35K Hyundai or Chevy, its a 35K BMW or Audi which means most of the stuff that is standard in a Hyundai will not be in here.
A 35K BMW 3-series is a stripper car - Look how much the BMW i3 costs for expectation setting.

There are free apps that do offline navigation, HERE Maps for one.

Due to limitation on what I can afford, I will plan to keep the cost under $40,000. So I will definitely be looking very hard and diligent at what options are offered at what price.

The idea of no more gas bills/oil changes, and harkening back to my high school days with a used Mercedes.... Wish it could be sooner.

Don't forget about the destination fee. That will eat into your price for any options if you truly try to keep the price at $37650.

I foresee a lot of disappointed people when the actual costs of the options come out. If you have ever purchased a entry level luxury car you will find that the base models are less well equipped than a Hyundai. You pay a lot for the nameplate.

Don't forget about the destination fee. That will eat into your price for any options if you truly try to keep the price at $37650.

I foresee a lot of disappointed people when the actual costs of the options come out. If you have ever purchased a entry level luxury car you will find that the base models are less well equipped than a Hyundai. You pay a lot for the nameplate.

also keep in mind taxes and fees. Sure, you'll likely recoup most, if not all, of it with your EV Tax Credit (assuming you get your Model 3 in time)....but it's an up-front expense you'll have to shell out for.

Here in MA, I'm looking at another 6.25%+$125 registration/tag transfer and title fee. (I'm keeping my Veteran plate...no desire for an EV plate)

True but i optioned out a BMW 3 series and the sunroof is 1,000 dollars. Then there is approx 750-1000 destination fees. Although i still think heated seats and navigation should come as standard. As other have discussed, navigation is very cheap to integrate. Besides even the Nissan Leaf comes with heated seats. This is an electric car and there is a real advantage in using heated seats. As a volt owner, you know what im on about. Using the BMW website i expect to pay around 37-38 dollars...... Else i'll get a used, but cheap model s.

True but i optioned out a BMW 3 series and the sunroof is 1,000 dollars. Then there is approx 750-1000 destination fees. Although i still think heated seats and navigation should come as standard. As other have discussed, navigation is very cheap to integrate. Besides even the Nissan Leaf comes with heated seats. This is an electric car and there is a real advantage in using heated seats. As a volt owner, you know what im on about. Using the BMW website i expect to pay around 37-38 dollars...... Else i'll get a used, but cheap model s.

Thats cool, if you are looking for a minimal car. Autopilot probably won't come standard at that base cost since it is currently a $2500 added cost for Model S's. By the time the Model 3 is out, though, you may be able to find auto-pilot equipped used Model S's for good prices.

Does anybody know of any models calculating the Model S' depreciation rate? Tesla basically controls that market and im rather curious as to how fast these car are falling. If my calculations are correct, by the time the Model III comes out. It should be possible to find a Model S at or below a new Model III price.

Does anybody know of any models calculating the Model S' depreciation rate? Tesla basically controls that market and im rather curious as to how fast these car are falling. If my calculations are correct, by the time the Model III comes out. It should be possible to find a Model S at or below a new Model III price.

I think Tesla has already sold at least one CPO Model S 60 for $35k. So yeah, by the time the Model 3 starts shipping you should be able to get a well used Model S fairly inexpensively.