Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your primary reason for wanting to own a Model 3?

What is your primary reason for wanting to own a Model 3?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving our MS there's no way I want to drive or own another ICE. So #1. Our second car will need replacing soon so hoping the timing works out.

The reasonings are kind of varied, but just won't go back to gasoline. The S handles so well and hoping the M3 is similar enough where it counts. I'd love another MS to be honest but would like a smaller car length-wise to drive, and I just don't know it's necessary to spend so much for a second car to mostly drive around town. Our last ICE vehicles were a Toyota Avalon and Camry for a similar reason. Plugging in at home and not going to the gas station is a big plus. I do like that it doesn't pollute the air. Living in Calif in valleys here you do see the effects and knowing you're breathing it to your lungs where the particles never leave. Also nice to know it's waving the oil companies good bye since I think they've been gougers and are kind of like Enron; and I believe they have actively sought to stomp down EV production for years. Likewise ICE manufacturers have sought to maximize profits by selling monsterous size gas guzzlers promoting more oil production.

So while my pick above was driving performance, why not another EV? I love the styling too of Teslas (sorry the other guys are not something I want to own or drive in) and have been happy with our MS so feel it won't be a big change in driving. Clearly, there are just too many reasons as to why this will be our 2nd car. Somewhere in all this on some level is that I think Elon and Tesla are pretty amazing too so feel good about buying their products. The solar roof tiles will be next on our list when our roof is a bit older. Something I always wanted to see in solar instead of the panels. The Powerwall probably to go along with it.

Last edited:
No one talked about how much they sunk in TSLA? :)

No current alternatives that have =>220 mile range, AWD and available for ordering ( delivery is another thing lol).

Brother has a 911 S (I believe), IS350, NX200 etc. Brother in-law has a TT and A8. They are overseas and cars cost so much more where they live. A typical Honda or Toyota costs about the same if not just 20% more. But luxury cars are 100-200% more so at least get something they won't be getting lol.

I drive Honda's and Toyota's but they're dragging their feet in coming up with decent BEVs though I am anxious to see the Honda EV concept at the Tokyo Motor Show. I have lots of time to wait.

Daughter thinks the 3 is too cool to pass up. Let's see if is she and I deserve one.

I love Tesla...from the first roadster to now. I bought stock in the company because I believe in their mission. Let's save this planet. I am fortunate to live in San Diego where the sun shines almost every day. I have solar panels already and own an X. Once the Model 3 arrives my wife and I will NEVER have to go to a gas station again.

• Love
Reactions: T34ME
I love Tesla...from the first roadster to now. I bought stock in the company because I believe in their mission. Let's save this planet. I am fortunate to live in San Diego where the sun shines almost every day. I have solar panels already and own an X. Once the Model 3 arrives my wife and I will NEVER have to go to a gas station again.

You never have to rent a car when traveling?

There's an element of "new shiny thing" involved. Also status and "green" statement. I believe EVs are the future, and I want to support Tesla's efforts to advance the state of electric cars. If there was another long-range EV on the market that I wouldn't have to have a paper bag over my head to drive (COUGH...Chevy Bolt) I'd probably buy it. :D

Boy,this was very hard for me to answer. I still don't know if I answered correctly...
I originally wanted a Tesla because they were sexy. Beautiful and rare. In 2013 I couldn't justify an S, so I bought some stock instead and watched the company in awe.
Next, as the Model 3 began to be rumored I did some basic calculations that showed at ~$35K and with incentives, the model 3 was literally a no-brainer for me (long commute, extremely expensive gas prices, very cheap electricity due to solar). So I was a line waiter before the M3 was revealed. Continuing to follow the technology has me sold on the environmental impacts of sustainable transportation.Oh, and I leased a Fiat 500e for my daughter, so now I understand all the praise for EV drivetrains! Now, with tax and delivery, I'm looking at a $60K vehicle, because it's a little faster to 60, the range is OMG, and I've recently started thinking EAP just might help with my commute. So, what answer do you think I should select?

Last edited:
I like my '11 Challenger R/T, It's fun to have the best and coolest car at whatever location I happen to be at, but I don't like giving money to big oil, been doing it for too many years. Plus I like the technology of Tesla and EVs, and since electricity is far cheaper than gasoline, let's try it out for a while.

At my place in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, the power rate is 7.79 cents per KW.

I voted environmentalism but performance would be a very, very close second.
The Model 3 is an alternative to me for several cars that aren't nearly as fuel efficient, being on 100% renewable power makes it even more so.

Another motivation not listed is all things being equal I'd rather support a U.S. company and my neighbors economically if I have a good option.

My primary reason is environmentalism. I drive a Leaf but its range can be limiting and its styling is not inspiring. When I can afford it I will buy solar panels to go with my EV cars.

However I love Tesla and admire Elon Musk. They do a lot of things right besides no tailpipe emissions and seem to do business with integrity. The car looks beautiful, it's safe, autopilot and full self driving are exciting, superchargers allow long travel, plus all the future announcements like Tesla Network, EV Semi and truck, and Tesla's whole mission of accelerating the transition to sustainable transport and energy that makes me want to be a part of the Tesla fleet.

My primary reason is environmentalism. I drive a Leaf but its range can be limiting and its styling is not inspiring. When I can afford it I will buy solar panels to go with my EV cars.

However I love Tesla and admire Elon Musk. They do a lot of things right besides no tailpipe emissions and seem to do business with integrity. The car looks beautiful, it's safe, autopilot and full self driving are exciting, superchargers allow long travel, plus all the future announcements like Tesla Network, EV Semi and truck, and Tesla's whole mission of accelerating the transition to sustainable transport and energy that makes me want to be a part of the Tesla fleet.

I always noticed how ICEV are required to pass clean air emission inspections on a periodic basis and how newer cars have to have cleaner air coming out of the exhaust but public buses and trains and especially private trucks are allowed to spew so much toxic fumes from their tail/pipe end.

I know it's for the interest of businesses that the government doesn't clamp down on these trucks but seriously something must be done. The amount of black smoke/soot at every step on the gas pedal is ridiculous.

Oh, and I leased a Fiat 500e for my daughter, so now I understand all the praise for EV drivetrains!

I just can't imagine putting one of my kids in a Fiat 500, no matter the drivetrain. At ~2,300lbs, even it's IIHS/NCAP crash ratings, such as they are, don't apply if it hits or is hit by something as small as a VW Golf, which is more than 500lbs heavier (impact tests are considered applicable against vehicles within 500 lbs.). There is no clear/good place to draw the line on protective vehicle mass, with all the variety of what's out there on the roads, but that choice is certainly very far to the vulnerable end of the spectrum!