Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What pleases you and annoys you most about your 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree the plate holders are hideous. My plan is to use the stick-on vinyl plates from this place. I’ve checked with them, and the vinyl is thick enough so that the screw holes for the plate holders won’t show through.

Approved Superior Quality Reflective Vinyl Number Plates, Printed ‘Unique Sub Surface’ for greater protection in plain digits only.

Yep - I fully intend to do the same.

As soon as my V5C arrives, these are getting GONE! I hate the ones Uk Tesla have chosen to put on. ALSO the plate doesn't even fit in the holder... It's just so poor.

Reactions: Roy W.
I agree the plate holders are hideous. My plan is to use the stick-on vinyl plates from this place. I’ve checked with them, and the vinyl is thick enough so that the screw holes for the plate holders won’t show through.

Approved Superior Quality Reflective Vinyl Number Plates, Printed ‘Unique Sub Surface’ for greater protection in plain digits only.

Would be good to see a photo of this once you have made the change.

You'd think Tesla, given their design focus, would consider details such as this.

They can be activated once by pressing in the left hand stalk button, this then brings up the menu for wipers on the display.

Explained here
Thank you for the video I’m already familiar with this, but it’s still not good enough for extreme rainy conditions. Trust me when you are driving in water spray fog on a motorway + torrential rain you would not want to take your eyes off the road for a split of a second.

Reactions: RjbT3
Had it for nearly two weeks so far.
Love everything about it apart from two things:
1.I would like to be able to fire up the wipers manually from the control levers behind the steering wheel not from the touch screen. I find this safety critical when you are driving through torrential rain like week here in the UK. The automatic wipers might be able to do that if they are improved.

2.The power on reversing is very aggressive. It should be a lot gentler.

(Hope Elon reads this feedback)

Can you not push the end of the stalk to manually cause one pass of the wipers? I do that whenever I think the automatic wipers aren't quite keeping up.

Oops. I just saw that someone else asked this question and you answered it.

• Funny
Things I like:
  • The drive. Oh, the drive! It’s so smooth and quiet and easy and relaxing! I’ve always been a bit of a road warrior but I feel like I’ve mellowed down since starting to drive my M3.
  • The acceleration. It’s fast and it just keeps going!
  • The cost. Or lack of it. It now costs me just over £2 to commute to work instead of around £20 (yes, I know, £50K buys a LOT of petrol, but still...)
  • The camaraderie. Every time I come across another EV driver there’s a knowing nod and occasionally some very pleasant chat
  • The tech. I love the way Spotify and TuneIn and all that work so well. It seems like stuff is well thought out on the O/S. Driver profiles are a really cool thing and the “keys” are cool as well.
  • Climate control. Especially Dog Mode and “Camping Mode”. Look forward to sleeping in my car some time in the winter.

Things I don’t like:
  • The turn radius
  • The wiper sensors. They do seem to take a while to realise that there is rain. I’m told Tesla didn’t use dedicated sensors for rain and use the AP camera. That suggests, at least, that whatever algorithm they’re using may potentially be improved in future firmware versions.
  • It’s not a hatchback. Bit unfair here, because I knew what I was getting, but if the Y was available, that’s the one I’d have gone for.
  • Autopilot. Specifically the “phantom braking”. It got to the point where I don’t bother turning it on if there is traffic on the motorway. It’s incredibly annoying.
  • Errrrrr..... can’t think of anything else
Overall verdict: it’s a fantastic car and I can’t imagine myself ever driving anything other than an electric vehicle from now on :)

Things I like :

Handling (i changed from a large Lexus so its a big improvement)
Acceleration - even on an SR+
The cost - free charging at work

Irritations (all minor) :

YOU CANT TURN THE FREAKIN RADIO OFF !
As I'm still new I'm still working through menus thinking "where did I see that ?"
Autopilot sometimes drives like a scared 17 year old (I guess this is more about figuring out where it works well and where it doesnt)

Bugs

It freaked me out in Edinburgh by telling me it wouldn't make it back to Belfast. I hadn't signed up for any public charging as I was sure it would make it. Turns out it was counting "ferry miles" as "driven miles" and I got home with 90 miles of charge left !

• Funny
Reactions: SimonTe and Roy W.
YOU CANT TURN THE FREAKIN RADIO OFF !
One of the things I LOVE about this car is that my music is playing as soon as I open the door, and it doesn't stop playing until I walk away from the car.

I also love that, above a certain volume, the volume lowers a little when you open the door. Very nice touch.

Personally I don't use the radio at all, preferring Spotify / bluetooth. But same principle.

- Navigation Display:I wish you can add "waypoints" like for Google map so you can choose your itinerary instead to get a default one.

Note: This is quite simple to implement. Many other road maps applications, like Garmin, have it.

If you don't follow the itinerary, the voice activated keep repeating "make a U-turn" or something similar. This is very annoying.

For example, if I have to make a left turn (LHD car) or a right turn (RHD car) in a street with heavy traffic,
I prefer going to an intersection with a separate left or right lane and a traffic light when possible.

Last edited:
this is the way every car door I’ve ever had has worked, so it’s not a slam on Tesla specifically. Well, except for the slider on our bright green VW micro bus... that one always worked great, and never barked my shins.
You had a slider which worked properly? The one on my '74 is LOUD (to operate and while driving on dirt roads), and difficult to open and close. The twin doors on the splitty are easier and quieter, and totally without any detents at all, though the loose mechanism does worry me as it jiggles down towards open on rough surfaces, have to keep the lock locked.

A.

(PS: sorry for the off-topic response)

You had a slider which worked properly? The one on my '74 is LOUD (to operate and while driving on dirt roads), and difficult to open and close. The twin doors on the splitty are easier and quieter, and totally without any detents at all, though the loose mechanism does worry me as it jiggles down towards open on rough surfaces, have to keep the lock locked.

A.

(PS: sorry for the off-topic response)

Mostly I wanted to compare to something archaic ;)

But yeah, i remember it working well.

I also remember being smart and good looking as a teenager though