Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Wh/mi are you getting with AWD and P cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How fast were you usually driving during this trip?

I was probably going an average of 70 mph on I5. I usually set it to 5 over and let the adaptive cruise control mirror the car in front of me when I'm talking etc. I didn't try to hyper mile too much (like drafting a semi) since I was with a friend and was trying to make decent time.

I've switched over to the 18" rims with new Xice tires and getting about 245Wh/m on my shorter commute. I'm not sure if the tires will improve as they break in, or if I do longer trips.

AWD non-P 18'' wheels with aero covers on. After 1,000 miles, my average is 290 wh/m. I find it extremely hard to get below that as any time I punch it, it spikes well over 600 during that time. I drive a lot of highway @ about 80mph during my 11 mile, one way, daily commute. If I drive like a conservative grandpa, I can get it down to about 250 wh/m, but that is driving super slow and super conservative with no quick off the line. I can't understand how some of you are at 220 and below unless always restricted to slow speeds and no punching the pedal.

Reactions: medx
AWD non-P 18'' wheels with aero covers on. After 1,000 miles, my average is 290 wh/m. I find it extremely hard to get below that as any time I punch it, it spikes well over 600 during that time. I drive a lot of highway @ about 80mph during my 11 mile, one way, daily commute. If I drive like a conservative grandpa, I can get it down to about 250 wh/m, but that is driving super slow and super conservative with no quick off the line. I can't understand how some of you are at 220 and below unless always restricted to slow speeds and no punching the pedal.
I have the same car as you. I punch around all over the place getting 238wh/mi over 5000 miles. I have over 100,000 miles driving EV cars, most in ones with less than 100 mile range. I wouldn't call myself a hypermiller but even when I'm punching the car around I use some really basic techniques to keep the range up.
If you are going 60 and have 1 mile to the light, you will be far more efficient with a gentle regen all the way to the light than you are waiting until you can let go of the pedal and get "max regen".
I really like how the old chevy volts have a little meter for that. Regen too hard and it shows you how its less effecient. Tesla sort of gives you the impression the harder you regen to more you are getting, not necessarily true.
If you have any interest in getting your efficiency up and KW usage down, try to never come to a stop needing full regen or braking (until the final stop of course...). the wh/mi will drop significantly. No changes in accelerating habits!

I have the same car as you. I punch around all over the place getting 238wh/mi over 5000 miles. I have over 100,000 miles driving EV cars, most in ones with less than 100 mile range. I wouldn't call myself a hypermiller but even when I'm punching the car around I use some really basic techniques to keep the range up.
If you are going 60 and have 1 mile to the light, you will be far more efficient with a gentle regen all the way to the light than you are waiting until you can let go of the pedal and get "max regen".
I really like how the old chevy volts have a little meter for that. Regen too hard and it shows you how its less effecient. Tesla sort of gives you the impression the harder you regen to more you are getting, not necessarily true.
If you have any interest in getting your efficiency up and KW usage down, try to never come to a stop needing full regen or braking (until the final stop of course...). the wh/mi will drop significantly. No changes in accelerating habits!
That's exactly what I do.

Reactions: golfpilot
Now with a few more miles under my belt.

P3D- 18” Covers on, usually in chill mode.
Typically don’t go over 70mph. Most of it is highway.

45362548892_99d7224511_b_d.jpg

Reactions: DR61
I'll have to try the longer regen tip. I've been doing the opposite and letting it regen hard at short distances. I noticed spikes over 600 wh/m on the 5 mile chart when I know for a fact that I had babied it during that time. Strange thing is if I switch to the 15 mile view, it shows 0 spikes that high.

I still can't seem to keep even a 30 mile average below 280 - so frustrating. Hopefully the longer regen tip will help. Thank you!!

Reactions: golfpilot
At about 1400-mi on the odometer, I seem to be converging on 250-Wh/mi. LR DM with 18-in aeros. I'm driving about the same as I did with my Model S 90D 19-in, which averaged 310-Wh/mi over 30-ish months. I enjoy launching when I can, and I use TACC/AP whenever I can on the freeway, set to +15. But I try not to brake much. If I can see far enough ahead, I'd rather coast on regen to slow down.

My 2018 P3D with 20" wheels has 700mi on it with a lifetime average of 319Wh/mi. If you remove the 1st exciting lead-footed week from that, it is at 310 Wh/mi for the last 450 mi. I mainly commute on surface streets in the San Jose CA area. I have not been driving for efficiency since it is powered by 100% solar essentially for free.

My 2018 P3D with 20" wheels has 700mi on it with a lifetime average of 319Wh/mi. If you remove the 1st exciting lead-footed week from that, it is at 310 Wh/mi for the last 450 mi. I mainly commute on surface streets in the San Jose CA area. I have not been driving for efficiency since it is powered by 100% solar essentially for free.

P3D+ also. I’m right here with 308 lifetime that has slowly been going down from 315 the first week. I launch here and there, and def drive fast when on the highway, but also relax sometimes as well. Got about 2300mi on her now.

P3D+ here.
1,200 miles
315wh/mi
~2/3 highway driving
Drive 75-80mph whenever possible

I think the MR RWD will be getting more range than me, but I would give up the range for the power. This car is just so fun to drive.

Jay- Totally agree! The P3D+ is way more fun than the V8 Mustang GT that I used to have without the wallet-draining climate-killing 13MPG drinking habit. Have some fun! But be careful with all that speed. It's addictive.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I have a little over 300 miles on my AWD model 3 and I'm averaging 342 wh/mi.
Is there some sort of a break in period where the efficiency will get better?
I took a 200 mile road trip driving 75 MPH, weather was 50 degrees, no wind, no heat on in the car.

Wondering why my efficiency is almost the same as my 2012 Signature Model S I just traded in with 21" wheels
that had a lifetime efficiency of 362 wh/mi.

I took a 200 mile road trip driving 75 MPH, weather was 50 degrees, no wind, no heat on in the car.

Wondering why my efficiency is almost the same as my 2012 Signature Model S I just traded in with 21" wheels
I noticed the efficiency on mine did improve after around 500 miles. I did a trip that registered 300wh/m driving nice before 500 miles. It would take around 245wh/m now. Not sure if it had to do with tires, drivetrain, or both. My model S 19” lifetime ~310.

Reactions: CarpetMan

Yes, new tires are less efficient

• Informative
Reactions: CarpetMan
2 Things that work for me with getting decent wh/mi

1. When talking off, don't baby the car, get it up to desired speed quick, not stomping the accelerator, just normal gradual acceleration.

2. Avoid using max Regen braking, also avoid using the regular brakes. Instead start reducing speed gradually by controlling Regen braking with the accelerator.

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_143747666_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181020_143747666_HDR.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 364
Reactions: golfpilot and DR61
Getting a pretty bad 340-370 Wh/mi efficiency on a new P3D+ with no mods when going 75mph on highway, 45F. Surprised by this. At this rate the snow tires should get much better efficiency. I wonder if it's just the tires.

Lowest average I've gotten is 284 Wh/mi on a lower-speed (~60mph) drive, so it doesn't seem like an outright mechanical issue.

2 Things that work for me with getting decent wh/mi

1. When talking off, don't baby the car, get it up to desired speed quick, not stomping the accelerator, just normal gradual acceleration.

2. Avoid using max Regen braking, also avoid using the regular brakes. Instead start reducing speed gradually by controlling Regen braking with the accelerator.

img_20181020_143747666_hdr-jpg.346239

I was wondering how you can display those consumption graphs?
Can you access it using the 'Tesla' smartphone app?

So far I found this interesting video, recommending renaming 'Trip A' and 'Trip B' to 'Lifetime' and 'Trip'.