Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a model S85 that the wife likes to drive (understandably). I also have a day one reservation for a Model 3. I am trying my best to be laser focused on waiting for the Model 3 especially since I was an early reservation holder. However with the unknowns around the tax credit my mind is starting to stray. If I were to configure the Model 3 I would get the EAP option as well as wheels and paint so I believe the total would be around $57K including delivery etc. However, I can get my hands on a pretty well loaded '16 S 75D (AP1) with performance upgrade for around $67K right now. I have two growing kids so certainly from a size perspective the S is a good option for long drives. However for puttering around town the 3 is probably much better. What would you do? Get the S that I am considering or patiently bite your nails and wait for the 3 and hedge your bets on the tax credit happening?

I'd try out the S for 'puttering around town'. If that's no problem, I'd go for it. With your growing kids the S is fine and guarantees the 7500. If it is somewhat of a problem, I'd wait untill there is more information on the tax credit. Don't know how much longer you can wait, though.

are you getting rid of the S85 or are you keeping it and adding on a Model 3/S?

also seems like you need to lay out what you need/want because you're not exactly comparing apples to apples here.

the LR Model 3 also has more range, not sure if that is needed or you can save even more by going with the SR

To clarify I am planning on keeping my current S. The second S that I am considering is used but is a '16 so has 3 more years on the warranty and extended if needed. I have been using the S around town (since its my only car right now) and its been fine. I am down to one car so I need the LR M3 as that's the first that I can get my hands on. Also, the risk with the tax credit for the 3 is, I get the config email to order the 3 say in the next couple of months but then the tax credit goes away in say spring (retroactive to Jan) and then I am kinda screwed though not totally because with the 3 I am getting longer range and a new car etc.

if rumors of an S/X refresh are true, then the discounts to pre-refresh cars will drop as well once the new cars start rolling out. Not sure if it'll be as much as $7500 you'd get off now, but something to keep in mind. Many souls are still in pain from buying an S right before autopilot came out....... :confused:

Ha, I think I smell a rat here :) are the peeps who are recommending that I go for an S doing so because that will automatically bump them up in queue for a 3? Understand that the used S would not get me a tax credit but I would not get one unless someone else has taken a decent hit in depreciation ;-)

Reactions: Pkmmte
Ha, I think I smell a rat here :) are the peeps who are recommending that I go for an S doing so because that will automatically bump them up in queue for a 3? Understand that the used S would not get me a tax credit but I would not get one unless someone else has taken a decent hit in depreciation ;-)
I already have a Model S. I also placed my deposit for Model 3 on March 31, 2016. Since I have Model S there's no real incentive for me to jump the queue. (Affordable) heaven can wait :)

The 3 is almost as big as the S. It is less than a foot shorter and 1.2 inches narrower (mirrors folded) so for puttering around town, it is practically the exact same, but with much less cargo room.

I'm in a similar situation: my wife drives our new S75 and I'm an early reservation holder for a 3. I've been waffling between another new inventory base S and the 3. Interior space should be practically the same when seating four per 2017 Tesla Model 3 | Features and Specs | Car and Driver and 2017 Tesla Model S | Features and Specs | Car and Driver. The S will edge out the long range 3 in terms of performance and interior materials. I could be wrong, but based on https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/TAX SUBSTITUTE.pdf the EV tax credit repeal may no longer be in the bill, so the AWD 3 or even the performance 3 might end up being in the same price ballpark as a new S. I mostly ruled out a used S because of the lack of future full self-driving potential (no AP2) and the relatively low depreciation, but autopilot features may be less important to you.

From what I have seen in the market, the price of the used Tesla's reflects the $7500 discount. Example, if you buy a car and immediately sell it, you won't be too likely to find a buyer who will pay you $7500 more than you paid for it (taking into account the tax incentive), just not going to happen. The other item to consider is that not everyone is eligible for the tax break, depending on your tax situation, but buying a used car will get you that same discount passed through from the original buyer.

Yes, absolutely! Get the S so I can get my 3 a half a minute sooner!