Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60,000 miles on the car, 41,000 on this battery that I know of (mine was a refurb replacement pack due to the contactor issues, before the service centers could fix them). My 90% charge is 238 miles, range charge is 264 miles (240/266 when installed). I always charge at 80A when at home, and supercharge without concern (although I don't have a "local" supercharger).
Gained another mile back after a trip this weekend that brought the car down to 25 miles and back up to full on a supercharger:

5f70b53f580267c988e7d2333affc733.jpg

Gained another mile back after a trip this weekend that brought the car down to 25 miles and back up to full on a supercharger:

That's impressive to essentially be at like-new rated range after 41,000+ miles. Can you share your typical charging habits? I know you normally charge at 80A and Supercharge with reckless abandon :), but do you normally charge to 90%? How much do you typically drive a day, and what SOC is your car at most of the time?

That's impressive to essentially be at like-new rated range after 41,000+ miles. Can you share your typical charging habits? I know you normally charge at 80A and Supercharge with reckless abandon :), but do you normally charge to 90%? How much do you typically drive a day, and what SOC is your car at most of the time?

Mostly, I just don't worry about it...

I charge to 90% normally.

There are no "typical" days, because I work from my home and the Model S is usually driven by my wife to shuttle kids around and do errands, along with other trips. We're averaging about 22,000 miles per year.

The car is typically sitting in my garage at 90%. We always plug in when we're at a place we can charge.

Mostly, I just don't worry about it...

I charge to 90% normally.

There are no "typical" days, because I work from my home and the Model S is usually driven by my wife to shuttle kids around and do errands, along with other trips. We're averaging about 22,000 miles per year.

The car is typically sitting in my garage at 90%. We always plug in when we're at a place we can charge.

Thanks. I've also reverted to charging daily @ 90% (vs. 80% on my prior S) during the week. Only difference is that on weekends I usually don't plug in until Sunday night so that it spends most of the weekend at lower states of charge (when I drive less). I put on about 20k mi a year.

My 2013 S85 with 35k miles has just over 4k miles from under my belt. During the proactive contractor replacement campaign, they found rust in my battery casing and one of the exhaust vents was clogged. My batter made a trip to Freemont for refurbishment and is now back in my car.

30.5k miles 90% had 239 miles and just 35k miles 90% has 238.
5eRREY3.jpg

Rust in the battery? Interesting. Haven't heard that one before. Wonder how moisture leaked in. And what was the exhaust vent? The battery doesn't have an exhaust vent, just a coolant loop.

They said it was part of the coolant system and my battery failed the "evacuation test". And they left it plugged in overnight. I just notification that the battery topped itself off to 239 miles at 90%. So the same as when I first got it.

There has to be some reason why some people are experiencing excellent capacity after so many miles. FlasherZ for example, and Cyclone. And others that aren't. I would be lying to say that I am not jealous when I see cars with 40k miles that get full rated range.

My 90% after 37k miles is only 226mi. It would be interesting to see a correlation of environmental temperature and remaining capacity over time. My car stays at 100+ degF 24/7 for at least a month and a half during the summer. Dropped from 256 to 252 throughout this summer. Charging from 3am-6am at 40amps when possible and keeping daily charge at 80%.

If it was't for the fact that at 31k when I picked up my car that 90% was 239, I would say to not read too much into my car currently having 90% @ 239 with 35k on the odo. I saw this b/c while Freemont was refurbishing my battery, they could have replaced any necessary cells.

I'm thinking much of what we are seeing in "losses" is really mostly out-of-calibration (to a degree!) and "set it to 90% and forget" is the best bet here. Mine is set to 90%, but I do not charge regularly. It will take me days to get back up to 90% b/c at work I charge for 3 hours at 200v/30a (17 mph) and at home I charge at 120v/12a (4 mph).

For NuclearPowered's question, my car previously lived in New York State and had many repairs for "road salt" when I got it. I would guess this means it lived most its life without a heat concern. In Charlotte thus far, it has sat in 60s - upper 80s temperature and regularly heat soaks to 115+ (the app said the cabin was 123 on Tuesday).

I think charging to 90% daily is best,from gathering all the posts.

I'm currently at 12k miles
85d.
Range mode on I get 238 at 90%.
Maybe just out of balance pack since I don't have a normal charging habit.

Normally charge to 70%-80% daily and do 90% on occasion. Now I'm doing 90% daily. I might do a full range charge this weekend and see if that helps.
Let's see how this goes.

My car has sat at range charge for a couple of days before - and as noted upthread, with seemingly little impact. I try not to do that, but I don't think twice about initiating the range charge at 8 am and departing any time in the late afternoon to early evening.

Is it possible your educated cost benefit policy driven habits have carefully and exuberantly exercised your pack more than average users, and thus your pack is more agile than most? The right amount of stretch and flex before use (kind of like what my crew does every morning before work, but in your case the metaphorical "day" is actually the entire lifetime of your pack with the stretching done in its metaphorical "morning" (unmetaphorically, its adolescence))?