Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me a solution is a bit of both. Pebbles that hit the flap will still drop and bounce and fly rearward. Will flaps help? Absolutely, But will damage still occur on the lower rear door? I suspect so, albeit more slowly. I think the solution is for flaps plus PPF for at least the lower section of the rear doors. Most luxury cars with flared rear fenders I can think of offhand have this, while some have front flaps depending on their wheel well profile and whether they need them.

My sister is an engineer who designs and fabricates parts all the time. The easy part is designing the thing and making a prototype. The problem is as soon as you send the design "overseas" for molds to be made and fabricated at volume, the same part starts getting sold online under different companies before yours does. She has to do prototypes domestically for this reason, but they're one-offs for so cost isn't an issue. I'd be willing to spend the $10K or so for molds + whatever is needed for volume production but not if someone else is going to leak the design first.

I've got something in mind I'll be working on through the holidays as proof of concept. Would be very easy to fabricate domestically and not look like elephant ears.

^ sweet!

Yeah, IP and design theft is not even an issue in China... they see something they think will sell and bam.. it's being mass produced.

My 3D printer (Creality CR-6 SE) can do up to 235x235x250mm build, so if anyone wants to design something in cad/sketchup- I can slice in in Cura and do a prototype in PLA or PETG.

Reactions: ArtK
I reached out to Tesmanian recently regarding producing mudflaps for the Model Y. In their reply to me Tesmanian stated that they already have mudflaps for the Y on their list of to be developed products. Tesmanian also stated that the from design to production of a new product such as mudflaps could take 90+ days.

Hopefully, by next summer, there will be several new Model Y mudflap offerings available from a number of suppliers.

I just posted in marketplace, but I caved in and started manufacturing mud flaps for the Y after absolutely destroying my lower door paint. teslamudflap.com

Just so you know, TMC flagged me because I've been offering DIY PPF kits to protect the lower section of the rear doors. I had to enter a vendor status with associated costs, hence the icon below my avatar. Totally reasonable guys but they'll take down your posts until you come to an agreement. You might want to reach out to them, but up to you.

Sorry, dug into my box containing multiple rivet sizes and basically chose one with a larger head and body diameter which would fit the OEM push pin hole. Saw that I was running low so I ordered another batch. I had ordered this a few years back which is where I got the rivets I used. https://www.amazon.com/Keadic-Plast...ywords=nylon+rivet+kit&qid=1608544007&sr=8-17
I had one hole in the back that was misaligned and used a drywall anchor and screw. Still holding like a champ.

PPF? What are you guys talking about? Subject says mudflaps, yet I see no mudflap in the picture supplied.

Most of us have yet to find a mudflap we like - there are only a couple around and some or all of price/style/availability are problems for may people. In the meantime, PPF on the lower part of the rear doors is a good idea as most of the spray from the front wheels hits there and can cause pitting. It's cheap and easier than fixing paint.

I just received my EvMudflaps and am having such a hard time getting in the clips on both back wheel wells. I was able to use a hammer to get the clips in the front but I don’t have enough clearance to use a hammer in the back, could anyone chime in how they managed to get the clips in thanks.
I bought some mud flaps on Amazon about 6 months ago. I'm not sure if the brand can be stated her, but the name has some of the letters shown: Fa****a. It took me about 30 minutes to install all four flaps. The rear rivet was definitely the hardest to push in place. I had to use a piece of 1"x2", levered off of the rear tire, to get it to seat. These flaps required no drilling and fit my model 3 perfectly. I no longer have dirt and road grease buildup on the lower panels behind the front and rear tires. I liked them enough to buy another set for my son. The price was around $35 for the set of four.

I'm not sure if Fa****a makes mud flaps for the model Y.

Last edited:
I would just back put the screw a little and pull out the screw that is attached to the anchor. I would not need to be able to access it from the back side of the hole, if that is what you are asking.

Im just wondering what would happen to the anchor when the mudflaps are removed, since I’d imagine the anchor would drop down and rattle around if it can’t be retrieved.