Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people always park next to me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does this always happen ? The picture isn't wide enough to see the but I'll explain. I drive around looking for the perfect parking stall to avoid a door ding. I take the corner stall and park close to the curb. Seven empty stalls to my left and 4 empty stalls to my right. When I come back outside there's that truck parked right beside me. Happens all the time. The parking lot can be 75% empty. I will park far from the store and when I come back to my car someone is parked right beside me. Is it just me ?

Attachments

• Tesla parked.jpg
    Tesla parked.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 345
Why does this always happen ? The picture isn't wide enough to see the but I'll explain. I drive around looking for the perfect parking stall to avoid a door ding. I take the corner stall and park close to the curb. Seven empty stalls to my left and 4 empty stalls to my right. When I come back outside there's that truck parked right beside me. Happens all the time. The parking lot can be 75% empty. I will park far from the store and when I come back to my car someone is parked right beside me. Is it just me ?
That's life lol.

Anyone else notice the pick up truck is in a small car parking spot with cargo sticking way out the back? :rolleyes:

BTW, your perfect stall is a straight drive in judging by the moving car in the picture and would likely be chosen as an easy stall to park in by the majority. Your choice was not very good at all if you wanted no neighbours.

Last edited:
While it's possible on a case to case basis, I don't think it's a Tesla thing in general. I have owned a lot of cars over the years and always part away from the rest of the people at the end or back of a lot only to come out and see someone passing over all the empty spots closer to the entrance just to park next to my car. I really do think a large portion of society is totally oblivious when it comes to parking lot etiquette.

The same reason people will sit directly in front of you in a practically empty movie theater.

Like many of you, I deliberately park out of the way, even if my kids complain we have to walk far to get into the store/wherever.

Totally true story, from about 4 years ago when I was driving a new BMW X3 M40i...

I go to CVS with my daughter, and park at the very far end of the parking lot, zero cars within at least 10 spots. We're in CVS for 5 minutes, tops and I come back out to see a car pulling up right next to mine.

We're about 50ft away, I see the driver get out. Then the rear doors open up and kids start getting out. BANG - kid slams door right into my car. At this point I'm about 20ft away. At the exact time the agony comes over my face/body, I realize it's my daughter's friend and family we know from school. The dad recognizes what happens, realizes he knows us, and is very apologetic. Fortunately I'm very cool about the entire situation, and the family is a great group of people so getting mad solves nothing.

A few days later they drop off a substantial gift card to a nice local restaurant as an apology. Of course I got PDR to repair the damage, and zero hard feelings.

But when I saw the OP's photo I was reminded how even the best planning can result in tragedy.

That's the most annoying imo.
What about speeding up to get ahead of you while you’re already cruising well over the limit, and once in your lane, they slow down below it. They could have stayed in their lane and kept chugging along, but nooooo; they need to move over to the left lane to slow down. It’s times like that I wish I were in a rental with full Collision Damage Waiver.