Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does no one at the service center or parts counter ever answer the phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can say that again. I won't discuss Tesla with anyone without also discussing their atrocious below-par support. You spend hours on hold to get to a person (when someone even picks up) and then more often than not, they can't even answer your question, promising a "call back" that never comes.

I was speaking with an older woman a month or so ago who was very interested in Tesla and on the fence about getting a Model 3 as her Mercedes lease was coming to an end. She was thrilled to hear how much I loved my Model 3 and that they offered leasing but as soon as I told her how horrible my delivery experience was and how you can't connect with a live person in a reasonable amount of time under any circumstance she decided against it.

I'm sure ol' Musky will realize before long that the cars' cool factor can't outweigh their trash support forever.

Still waiting on a call from my local service center that was promised to come to me over a week ago...

I try to put myself in the shoes of the people working at the service centers. They are barely holding it together, neck deep in angry customers, and are constantly behind in everything they have to do. Likely because they don't have the support from "corporate". Hopefully they will get this figured out soon.

I try to put myself in the shoes of the people working at the service centers. They are barely holding it together, neck deep in angry customers, and are constantly behind in everything they have to do. Likely because they don't have the support from "corporate". Hopefully they will get this figured out soon.
In their shoes or not, I don't make promises to people I can't keep. If I say someone's going to call you back, someone's going to call you back and I'll see to it that they do, because that's MY word.

If you don't want to piss people off, don't say something if it's not going to be true. I'll respect "I don't know, call someone else" a lot more than I'll respect, "someone will look into that and call you back today or tomorrow."

In their shoes or not, I don't make promises to people I can't keep. If I say someone's going to call you back, someone's going to call you back and I'll see to it that they do, because that's MY word.

If you don't want to piss people off, don't say something if it's not going to be true. I'll respect "I don't know, call someone else" a lot more than I'll respect, "someone will look into that and call you back today or tomorrow."

That's fair, but I imagine many customers would not take kindly to blunt honesty either: "I can't guarantee that you will hear back from anyone because we are deeply understaffed, many positions have been cut, and we're just trying to keep our heads above water here." Many customers would probably say: "Not my problem, that's not an acceptable answer" is words far less kind.

So either way, the front-line employees are in a bad place. You really have to blame management for that, not them. If I walked into a service center and there were armies of idle employees milling around, then I'd feel differently. I'm not saying this is an acceptable situation at all - its not (and I have some pretty strong feelings that Elon needs to appoint someone with serious operational expertise and give them a long leash and decent budget to solve this problem). But I can't really fault the folks at the front end.

Reactions: Petrocelli
I wonder if Elon is aware of how bad service has become this year. Every time a bad taste is left in someone's mouth is a lesser chance of a repurchase down the road.

He is almost certainly aware of it and doesn't like this more than anyone else. They didn't cut staff and slow down rate of service expansion because they're greedy, they're doing it to survive.

I agree that poor service DEFINITELY leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, but if your company goes Bankrupt in 1-2 years do you really need to worry about that next car sale in 4-5 years time?

It's like saving your best pitcher in the World Series - you have to win the early games first (cash flow!) before you can worry about a stellar Game 7 performance (return customers).

Reactions: bigroo42
Said it before and I'll say it again... Buying a tesla is like dating rhe hot chick in high school. You'll put up with her shitty attitude and her calling you a dumbass and spending all your money because she's... Well.... Hot.

We put up with unbelievably bad service 99 percent of the time from tesla because the car is well.... Hot...

At some point, though, people will get sick and tired of it and it will affect sales at some point. And then maybe it will get their attention.

My example - went to pick up my car last week at 9 am (SC opens at 8). Had an appointment obviously. Get there at 850 and the door is locked. Called them and unexpectedly they answered and said that they were running late and would be there shortly to open. Ha! Wtf? 45 minutes later I'm finally inspecting my car and running way behind so I shortcut my punchlist....so fingers crossed.

By all accounts, it would seem Tesla is still going through Service Hell. They created the perfect storm by cutting back staff to the extreme to try and save money, but prior to having a record Q2, combined with people forced to go to them for just about everything other than bodywork (though there may be exceptions), combined with a terrible parts supply logistics. They are going to need a big course correction with service in order to maintain loyalty and right the listing ship or they are going to have worse problems. The last thing people want is the thought of a shiny gadget that can't get fixed like it should when something inevitably does go wrong. There is lots of inconsistency across the country so they need to fill in those gaps asap.

The trick is how you navigate the phone system menu. You need to select "Service", then select "Status of a vehicle in service / parts inquiry". This directs the call to the service center itself. Any other option seems to take you to the main call center in Utah, which could put you in a long queue.

Some service centers in SoCal like Buena Park and Costa Mesa, however, are too overloaded/understaffed to pick up the phone, regardless of which options you choose. Oceanside and Pomona always pick up.

The Only way to contact Tesla
The APP
In Person

Email, Phone, Voice Mail, Are Third world options.
Mail is not returned unless there is a significant delay
Phones are unanswered
Voice Mail boxes are full
Schedule an Appointment or Brick and Mortar it

The service centers appear to be regularly stocking the cabin air filters so it’s probably a safe bet to head over if you need one. But yes it is frustrating that you can’t get anyone to confirm it by answering the phone.

Tesla is terribly understaffed on the service side of the business. And they are still losing millions of dollars. There is no way they could afford to add enough personnel to provide world class service and still charge today’s prices for the Model 3. Something has to give, and unfortunately it’s the level of service being provided.

The day will come when another car company comes out with a competitive product to the Model 3 and provides good service. When that happens Tesla will either clean up its act or become irrelevant.

And yes, Elon is very aware of how bad it is. He just hasn’t implemented a plan to fix it.

Just drove over there and was able to pick up some Model 3 cabin filters without any issue. It was a mad house however, with customers everywhere and cars stacked deep all over the parking lot and spilling over into the adjacent businesses. It really is a different (Tesla) world out here in CA... I had to wait 20 minutes at a 24(!) stall supercharger yesterday just to pick up a few electrons.

Yeah, you just got a peek at your future Tesla world. Based on the exponential numbers of 3’s I am seeing each month here, you can expect the wave to overwhelm your area soon.