Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why make a deposit now?

Are you ordering now or waiting?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there really a benefit to putting a deposit down right now vs ordering when they are in consistent production? What is the advantage? You might get a month or 2 sooner or more?

Thanks!

Its more of a way for you to support them without getting stock or interest. You're donating them the interest on the 2.5k however long they want it for, in exchange for a spot in line. Probably the end of the line at this point.

I want one for my wife and I want to wait, knowing tesla how they update cars and introduce new features I might wait about 6-8 month into production to see if all the issues are resolved and who knows, maybe MCU3?

I understand waiting for possible tech, interior, or range updates. But how much better could the MCU get? It’s already quite responsive, high enough resolution, brightness, etc. I can’t think of anything that would make it so much better that it would be worth waiting month or years for. Just curious what you have in mind? Thx

Reactions: camthehombre
I understand waiting for possible tech, interior, or range updates. But how much better could the MCU get? It’s already quite responsive, high enough resolution, brightness, etc. I can’t think of anything that would make it so much better that it would be worth waiting month or years for. Just curious what you have in mind? Thx

To reiterate an earlier post, as Tesla historically makes frequent changes, I expect the next hardware iteration as early as 2021, likely 2022 based on the following timeline per Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

2014 - HW 1 based on MobilEye EyeQ3
2016 - HW 2.0 based on NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 AI computing platform
2017 - HW 2.5, NVIDIA DRIVE PX 2 with redundancy
2019 - HW 3.0, with FSD with two Tesla-designed processors.
2021/2022 - Anticipated HW update

As Tesla cars are now akin to smartphones, the software constantly improves. The hardware requirements increase eventually making the software less responsive or new features being excluded on older models. See a recent Electrek article for reference.

Reactions: Dadiggaman
I have the same dilemma, based on some M3 owners' negative experiences with pre-ordering in the past. Since I only want the seven-seater version (which will be released later than the 5-seat versions- website still says 2021, but I'm hoping winter 2020?), I am tempted to wait a bit longer before placing a pre-order. I would feel stronger about pre-ordering if there were clearer indications that either (a) the non-FSD price might rise or (b) that failing to pre-order would increase the wait by more than six months.

That said, I have done exhaustive research on other EV competitors, and I am about 100% certain that the Model Y w/ third row will be our next car (current ICE car is just fine w/ 55k miles, but I want to be done with ICE cars altogether!)

I'm pondering what to do as well. The lease on my S comes up around the same time that the Model Y gets going into production. I'm not sure a 3 would be big enough to comfortably carry teenagers in the back seat daily (had to bend my neck to get into the back seat of a 3 that I didn't like), but want something smaller than the S . I'm also hesitant because it'll be the first year of production which I tend to avoid until new vehicles have proven themselves on the road for a bit. I'm hopeful for a smoother launch than the 3.

Reactions: Dadiggaman
Is there really a benefit to putting a deposit down right now vs ordering when they are in consistent production? What is the advantage? You might get a month or 2 sooner or more?

Thanks!
If you order now you lock in the price if you stay with the configuration. If they lower the price before delivery, you will get the lower price. But if they raise the price, you're good. They lowered the price of the Y after I ordered mine, and they reduced the price in my account without my doing anything. Since then they raised the FSD price on new orders, but not for me. And your deposit is refundable if you decide you'd rather have a VW ID.

If you order now you lock in the price if you stay with the configuration. If they lower the price before delivery, you will get the lower price. But if they raise the price, you're good. They lowered the price of the Y after I ordered mine, and they reduced the price in my account without my doing anything. Since then they raised the FSD price on new orders, but not for me. And your deposit is refundable if you decide you'd rather have a VW ID.

good point about stay with the configuration, since if you change it's a new order. I wonder when they'll allow SR orders (I hope not last like the 3 but likely...)

Thanks!

To get in line? I don't think so. History has this company making the expensive versions first and in bunches. Someone could order such a version after production has started and receive such a vehicle prior to someone who placed an order for a basic version over a year earlier. I'm waiting and going to compare the details to the competition.

not a sure thing. just like real estate isn't a sure thing/ doesn't always go up.

those who bought early on did, but past performance is no guarantee...
Have you seen their jump lately..
Beginning of October they were at mid 200$ range and now they are almost at mid 300$ range.
I say even 2 shares you still get made money on that 100$ refundable fee :)

Have you seen their jump lately..
Beginning of October they were at mid 200$ range and now they are almost at mid 300$ range.
I say even 2 shares you still get made money on that 100$ refundable fee :)

market is at all time high. TSLA is not. Sure it could go up or go down. This comes from some one who bought .com stocks in 2001

Some pre-ordered Model Y may not delivered until 2021. 7 seat may be in 2022. During the long wait, Tesla may decide to improve Y with new hardware or new feature, and raise the price accordingly. They may honor the pre-ordered price.