Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Model 3 is the better car than Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tescroft

In Musk, we trust.
Aug 23, 2015
Switzerland
Hi

Although Tesla is constantly trying to antisell Model 3 in favor of Model S, I disagree mostly with them. To me, Model 3 is the better car than Model S, independent of the cheaper price and the lack of some fancy features like automatic door handles.

1. Model S has no interior driver monitoring camera.
This means, even with advanced Autopilot software, you will probably be nagged with "Hands on" warnings in Model S, while Model 3 will be capable of more sophisticated driver awareness monitoring, with less "Hands on"-nagging. For autopilot fans, Model 3 is the Tesla car to go with.

2. Model 3 has better handling.
Model S has sporty acceleration and low center of gravity, which is good. Model 3 offers almost the same acceleration for the same price and the same low center of gravity, but better handling. Driving around corners, you feel the weight of Model S sometimes. Model 3 is a lot lighter and offers therefore a better handling around corners. Model 3 is probably more fun to drive.

3. Model 3 offers better road overview.
The Model 3 "bonnet" is much lower than the one of Model S. Therefore, you have the better view outside from the driver position. Model S feels quite claustrophobic sometimes.

4. Model 3 looks more modern.
Although Model S looks good, Model 3 looks better and much more modern. Model S looks "old" in comparison.

5. Model 3 is smaller.
This may sound a bit odd, but the size of Model S is a huge disadvantage here in Europe. Roads and parkings are not made for US full size cars. As a Model S / X owner, you have often issues parking your car, driving in cities with small roads and through construction areas. Model 3 has a big advantage in this area.

6. Model 3 has the better climate controls.
The new touch screen based climate fan direction control system is clearly superior to the clunky manual controls of Model S. It enables cool future software features like driver based personlized fan direction settings.

7. Model S has no smartphone entry system.
With Model S, you must always take a key fob with you. I don't like that. Leaving my home with just my smart phone (or NFC watch) with me is more appealing, as I can enter my home withouth key already. The Model 3 entry system looks more attractive to me.

To sum it up, Model 3 long-range with premium package and autopilot upgrade is just the better car than the Model S. Tesla needs to do much more than better bundlings of existing stuff with Model S in order to keep this car attractive for premium buyers. Not everybody is attracted by just insane acceleration and huge car dimensions. With even better versions of Model 3 coming (AWD, performance variants), Model S seem to near its end of life, if no major improvements are coming soon.

I agree. I've been torn on the decision between the S and the 3. Not considering price, I'd still rather have a 3 for for the reasons you mention.

I'd also add that the interior features are better on the 3 right now. USB ports, storage pockets, coat hangers.

The "only" compelling reason for an S in my opinion is the HEPA filter, Air Suspension, and Hatchback. Personally, the smaller, nimbler, dimensions and "cleaner" interior of the 3 outweigh the S's advantages.

Hi

Although Tesla is constantly trying to antisell Model 3 in favor of Model S, I disagree mostly with them. To me, Model 3 is the better car than Model S, independent of the cheaper price and the lack of some fancy features like automatic door handles.

This means, even with advanced Autopilot software, you will probably be nagged with "Hands on" warnings in Model S, while Model 3 will be capable of more sophisticated driver awareness monitoring, with less "Hands on"-nagging. For autopilot fans, Model 3 is the Tesla car to go with.

Model S has sporty acceleration and low center of gravity, which is good. Model 3 offers almost the same acceleration for the same price and the same low center of gravity, but better handling. Driving around corners, you feel the weight of Model S sometimes. Model 3 is a lot lighter and offers therefore a better handling around corners. Model 3 is probably more fun to drive.

The Model 3 "bonnet" is much lower than the one of Model S. Therefore, you have the better view outside from the driver position. Model S feels quite claustrophobic sometimes.

Although Model S looks good, Model 3 looks better and much more modern. Model S looks "old" in comparison.

5. Model 3 is smaller.
This may sound a bit odd, but the size of Model S is a huge disadvantage here in Europe. Roads and parkings are not made for US full size cars. As a Model S / X owner, you have often issues parking your car, driving in cities with small roads and through construction areas. Model 3 has a big advantage in this area.

The new touch screen based climate fan direction control system is clearly superior to the clunky manual controls of Model S. It enables cool future software features like driver based personlized fan direction settings.

With Model S, you must always take a key fob with you. I don't like that. Leaving my home with just my smart phone (or NFC watch) with me is more appealing, as I can enter my home withouth key already. The Model 3 entry system looks more attractive to me.

To sum it up, Model 3 long-range with premium package and autopilot upgrade is just the better car than the Model S. Tesla needs to do much more than better bundlings of existing stuff with Model S in order to keep this car attractive for premium buyers. Not everybody is attracted by just insane acceleration and huge car dimensions. With even better versions of Model 3 coming (AWD, performance variants), Model S seem to near its end of life, if no major improvements are coming soon.

I am glad you are up for spending time making comparisons - but wondering if you own a Model S? Number 7 is incorrect, for starters. My MS has an optional smartphone entry system, which I have used several times, including when I left my key in a rental car in Boston, and would have been stranded at the airport in Seattle without it. Number 6 - the fan control system is not clunky - it is easy. I imagine it will be about the same on the Model 3. You may be right about Number 5, which is one reason why I have ordered a Model 3 as well, but I don't know that being smaller makes in a "better" car - just more preferable in places like Europe where city parking and driving can be occasionally tight. Finally, on all your other points, I doubt the Model 3 handles "better" or looks more modern, or the AP systems are as improved as you say on the MS. They are similar cars in many ways, and the best thing about the Model 3 is that for a lot less money you will be able to purchase a Tesla and be the talk among your friends, not to mention driving a car superior to all others in its class. Clearly you do not own either an MS or an M3, so why don't you wait until you actually have a Tesla to begin with before making posts that all in all add up to read a bit silly. Cheers!

And neither car has any lidars on board which means that despite all promises even level 3 automation will be a problem. And with lvl 2 you have to keep your eyes on the street anyways :)

Agreed. Despite the power of the engines you definitely feel the weight and length of the Model S. That being said I guess we`ll have to wait for reviews of the 3 to actually say anything here.

Front view in the S isn`t better or worse than any other car`s imho. The rear view is pretty bad though.

Disagree. The new Model S looks absolutely great.

Highly disagree. My biggest gripe with the model 3 design wise is the focus of 99% of the functionality on the screen. Buttons are much easier to reach and use while driving than a touchscreen with tree menus....

5. Model 3 is smaller.
Absolutely agree. The S is great on the highway but in cities almost 5x2,2m is a big problem in some places.

Eh, I don`t know about that. Let`s see how long it takes before hackers find a way to open your car with ANY phone...

Replace Model S with "previous gen BMW 7" and Model 3 with "new gen BMW 3" and same points still hold true.

This situation is totally normal, Model S is already 5 years old, it already got its face-lifting.
Elon does not talk about it but expect a second gen Model S to come before Model Y i.e. in 2019.
There is just a few months of Osbourning problem until M3 reaches that + 5k/w production level and enough capital comes in to pay all the due bills.

Yeah - keep kidding yourself. You'll think differently once your neck starts hurting from looking at the middle screen all the time :eek:

I know! I have to check the clock and gps and radio at that location now and I can barely manage to move my head that far! Chiropractors are going to do really well if the model 3 takes off. All that glancing slightly to the right is going to take a toll.

Hi

5. Model 3 is smaller.

Is this a sarcastic thread or not? If not what is your motivation to troll the Model S?

Do you really believe the interior camera will remain a unique feature of the Model 3?
Indeed.

I'm very, very sure that all the new cool gadgets we see on Model 3 will also be present on Model S.

Bluetooth for direct connection to the car without needing WiFi to open it, well, that's probably a software update or a very simple hardware addition.

Model S will remain the flagship and will always trump Model 3 when it comes to features.

Before we'll get a Model 3 we will probably see a lot of additions to Model 3.

Hi
With Model S, you must always take a key fob with you. I don't like that. Leaving my home with just my smart phone (or NFC watch) with me is more appealing, as I can enter my home without key already. The Model 3 entry system looks more attractive to me.

7 - Wrong.

The other points are subjective and you may believe what you say. I will not be swapping my S for a 3 any time soon.

Number 7 is incorrect, for starters. My MS has an optional smartphone entry system, which I have used several times, including when I left my key in a rental car in Boston, and would have been stranded at the airport in Seattle without it.

That is a different kind of smartphone entry. You have to manually open the Tesla app, press a button there and open the car with your mobile internet connection. The Model 3 entry system looks different, should work without taking the phone out of the pocket through bluetooth LE. This does not work on a S.

7 - Wrong.

The other points are subjective and you may believe what you say. I will not be swapping my S for a 3 any time soon.
You can't just put your phone on the B pillar to unlock Model S, like you can with the 3.
The app unlock with the S is slow and requires internet connectivity, plus the 3 will have that as well for remote unlocking.

Reactions: Kacey Green
To each their own. No vehicle design is perfect for everyone. That said, for me, I agree - I'd rather have a Model 3 than a Model S. I'd have liked them to take the differences, if anything, even further. Even narrower and less height (but longer) for a better CdA and lower energy consumption (and correspondingly faster charging) with higher clearance. Even more mass reduction, via rolling the savings on using a smaller pack (enabled by a lower CdA) into making the structure out of composites. You'd end up with something hyper-nimble, hyper-fast (accel and top speed), and still cheaper.

But the Model 3 hits my "close enough" bill ;) And definitely does so more than the S, which has to "brute force" everything due to its relative inefficiency.

Hi

There's no indication that is what the camera is for. If that were truly its usage, you would think it would be directly in front of the driver, not on the rear view mirror

Have you driven both the S and the 3? And 1 second quicker 0-60 isn't anything to ignore. A new base Model S does 0-60 in 4.3. Base Model 3 does it 0-60 in 5.6.

To see which handles better, you'll have to have actually driven both.

Again...need to see this side by side.

Disagree. My favorite version of any Tesla is the refresh'd Model S. The 3 is growing on me, but I wish they would have integrated the "grill" into the front.

5. Model 3 is smaller.

This is like any car. For some people, a bigger car makes more sense, for some people, they should get a smaller car.

Again....very subjective. It's a neat feature on the 3...lets see how it is in practice. I think people might be mildly annoyed when they just want to move the vent a bit and have to go 2 menus deep to change it.

You can use a smart phone to unlock and start a model S. I've seen people lock their fob in their car and do just that.

On a straight spreadsheet, the Model S is a better car

Bigger engines, better available range, more space, higher end features. Off the top of my head, the Model 3 doesn't have

-Self Presenting Doors/Handles
-Bigger, brighter primary display
-2nd display for AP/Speed/Charge
-Heated Steering Wheel
-Sub 3s Performance Mode (we'll have to see what the Performance 3 looks like...my guess is that its a sub 4 second)

Now, will there people that PREFER the Model 3's simple inside and smaller footprint? Absolutely. But...does that make it a better car? No..thats a preference.

Feel sad for the OP. His best answer is that it's smaller which isn't better or worse. It's just a description. Tons of people want larger, or have you not noticed all the HUGE SUV's hanging around these days? I prefer smaller, but that's personal preference. The rest is trying to feel better about yourself and justify the 'cheaper' car. And any features that are truly missing in the S, like a forward facing camera can/will be easily replaced.

A real list would read
#1) It's cheaper. I don't want (can't afford for others) to spend so much money on a car.
And that's about it until we learn more.

Hi

5. Model 3 is smaller.

sports analogy

You're comparing a relatively unknown AAA player to a perennial all-star
#4 just wow.....o_O

Last edited: