Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife's car was a paperweight. (And not a very good one). [RESOLVED]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla states its a bad Bluetooth module - which may be why she's always had a hard time using the phone as a key. Phone as a key works 75% better in my car.

To Recap:
Update failed, car was unable to drive.
Owner is stranded 24+ hours due to failed update + lack of off-hours support from Tesla.
The Brick Police are now in full force, and all communication will be monitored for compliance.
Tesla attempts multiple updates that fail.
Tesla recodes update to bypass failed module over night. (cool, right)?!
Car becomes less brick like and can move under it's own power. :)
Tesla will mobile ranger replace the module, which should fix issue and fix phone as key troubles.
Owner satisfied, but would prefer options that allow vehicle to be used if an update fails.
Brick Police stand down and order pizza.

Or you could look at the Oxford dictionary, which I trust more than Wikipedia: brick | Definition of brick in English by Oxford Dictionaries

They also have:

In either case your car didn't meet those criteria since Tesla was able to connect to it remotely and unlock the car, so it didn't completely cease to function.
Totally unequivocally disagree. We’re quibbling over another word now: function. For me at least, if a car can’t be used as a car, it doesn’t function. I don’t really care if it’s communicating, or the lights flash, or if I can still sit in the seat. It ain’t functioning. Therefore by all these definitions the damn thing’s bricked.

So if your ICE car runs out of gas, it's bricked.
If your ICE car battery dies, it's bricked.
If your car has a flat tire, it's bricked.
If your car won't drive for any reason and you don't understand why, it's bricked.
Makes sense.

BUT... if your brick bricks, then what?
Like if you drop it and it breaks into pieces, and it's no longer a brick, so it fails at it's function, isn't it then also... a brick?

bricks-red0126mco-64_1000.jpg

Totally unequivocally disagree. We’re quibbling over another word now: function. For me at least, if a car can’t be used as a car, it doesn’t function. I don’t really care if it’s communicating, or the lights flash, or if I can still sit in the seat. It ain’t functioning. Therefore by all these definitions the damn thing’s bricked.
By this definition running out of gas qualifies as "bricking" a car. Over the years, I've had several occasions where a car failed to start and a required part was not immediately available. I've had issues that stumped the experts for a while, and I've seen numerous failures at inconvenient times. None of these count as "bricking" a device or vehicle. Maybe if the failure continued for a week with no end in sight you can start using the "B-word" but a simple problem that hasn't been fixed yet does not qualify.

Now, I'm a fan of the fluid nature of the English language, but when I see terms misused like this, I literally loose my mind!

By this definition running out of gas qualifies as "bricking" a car. Over the years, I've had several occasions where a car failed to start and a required part was not immediately available. I've had issues that stumped the experts for a while, and I've seen numerous failures at inconvenient times. None of these count as "bricking" a device or vehicle. Maybe if the failure continued for a week with no end in sight you can start using the "B-word" but a simple problem that hasn't been fixed yet does not qualify.

Now, I'm a fan of the fluid nature of the English language, but when I see terms misused like this, I literally loose my mind!

so.... Two thoughts come to mind here..

1. "The B-Word" is, I believe, already taken and arguably more offensive than any type of brick.
2. "Literally" - did you "literally" loose your mind while observing the misuse of the English language..? :)

literally - Wiktionary

Everyone is just too much. I hope you're laughing out loud as I am about this. It's just funny... lighten up, it's the only way to keep sane :)

Tesla states its a bad Bluetooth module - which may be why she's always had a hard time using the phone as a key. Phone as a key works 75% better in my car.

To Recap:
Update failed, car was unable to drive.
Owner is stranded 24+ hours due to failed update + lack of off-hours support from Tesla.
The Brick Police are now in full force, and all communication will be monitored for compliance.
Tesla attempts multiple updates that fail.
Tesla recodes update to bypass failed module over night. (cool, right)?!
Car becomes less brick like and can move under it's own power. :)
Tesla will mobile ranger replace the module, which should fix issue and fix phone as key troubles.
Owner satisfied, but would prefer options that allow vehicle to be used if an update fails.
Brick Police stand down and order pizza.

You wrote "Owner is stranded 24+ hours due to failed update + lack of off-hours support from Tesla."

Does this mean that the entire failure is because you didn't call roadside assistance so that they could get you going immediately at any time? Seems like an obvious case of Tesla provides a loaner until the problem is fixed. But instead there's days of angst and now "afraid to drive the car"? Sounds like a PEBCAK problem to me, all down the line.

Although, granted, it would be nice if nothing ever went wrong with our cars.

"brick" when mentioned about electric /electronics is a nice, sensationalist word that gets attention. Nevermind the original meaning (which has been co opted).

People now use it to mean "it doesnt work" which is a long way from what it used to mean, but it grabs attention. See this thread.

Reactions: Thp3 and MP3Mike
You wrote "Owner is stranded 24+ hours due to failed update + lack of off-hours support from Tesla."

Does this mean that the entire failure is because you didn't call roadside assistance so that they could get you going immediately at any time? Seems like an obvious case of Tesla provides a loaner until the problem is fixed. But instead there's days of angst and now "afraid to drive the car"? Sounds like a PEBCAK problem to me, all down the line.

Although, granted, it would be nice if nothing ever went wrong with our cars.

lol. No.... the failure was because Tesla sent an update that failed. (Vehicle worked previously)
The failure was compounded by the department that could fix it... being closed.
We called roadside assistance, and they could not assist. (Maybe they need a name change)?

Yes, clearly having the car brick and become un-drivable is the owner's "problem".
Just like PTSD is the person's problem who experienced it. Anything else is just details.

Reactions: GreenT
unpopular opinion but my 2 cent,

dont update the car if you need the car and cant afford for it to be bricked/something goes wrong as a possible aftermath

this goes for anything electronic wise, computer, phone, etc.

i never update anything unless i need to or if i have time to fix said problem that comes up after because there is a likely chance that an update will break things

I agree. I only update things if a) I am having a problem that the update fixes or b) there is something new in the update that I really want. I never update just because there is an update. That goes for my computers, my iPhone on iOS 9, and my Model S on 7.1.

Every update after 7.1 brought things I didn't want so I didn't update. Consequently I have never experienced frquent AP nags, I have full color maps, I never had controls vanish and require me to tap aroun the screen to get them to reappear before I can select them while trying to drive (what a horrible idea that was!), and I have the better Ui everyone wishes they could get back that allows any combination of views on the top and bottom halves of the screen. I love my Model S exactly how it is and don't want Tesla's supposed "improvements".

• Love
Reactions: N5329K and kavyboy
This is my own definition of "Bricked".

If an owner requires support from the manufacturer, to get it drivable again (it's main function) it is "Bricked" until it's fixed.

"Bricking" does not necessary mean it's permanent or can't be fixed. There are many severities of being "Bricked".

When I saw "paperweight" I read it as, the car is so disfunctional in the owners mind that it might as well be a paperweight.

I have never associated "bricking" with the battery in anyway. If it's a dead battery, it's a dead battery. Bricking is typically associated with something gone wrong with software (usually a flash update that didn't go as planned). That may or may not have caused physical damage.