Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
actually the topic title is about AP.
Very interested in this topic (started a few threads myself :)). I think there were some good points re the fact that some non-AP owners have cars that are now 2-3 years old and would rather spend $3k at trade in time (whenever that may be) as opposed to purchasing AP at full freight. Like others, definitely in at $1000 and could probably convince myself to go up to $1500 (especially since I'll be more inclined to go on long drives than fly in the months ahead). That said, I'd love a subscription option ($50 per month?) for basic AP. Now that they have figured out how to do that for premium connectivity, it could be feasible.

That said, I'd love a subscription option ($50 per month?) for basic AP. Now that they have figured out how to do that for premium connectivity, it could be feasible.
I would love subscription too, but being frugal I would never spend 50$ in a subscription, anyhow I would be ok t if the price to buy would be 2000. I know, I know doesn't make sense but I'm old school and prefer to own than rent.

Reactions: vickh
just read the article; tesla cuts pay for high ranking execs at 30%. regular people get 10% cuts; but some get put on hold, no pay, but healthcare is continued.

I don't worry about execs; they make too much anyway (IMHO!). 10% cut for regular workers, though; its going to take years to get that back, once we are over this crisis. its hard to regain the accumulated area under the curve, if this lasts for months (and I assume it will).
Perhaps you should worry a bit more about the execs. The workers don’t make decisions for the company and a turnover in execs could further damage the company and its workers. If the company is damaged it hurts all of us. Nobody likes this situation but I get tired of people banging on those in decision making roles when they are obvious taking a disproportionate hit...voluntarily. It’s the right thing to do however.

you'll never get me to value the execs as much as the boots on the ground.

american execs are overpaid, mostly figureheads that have others do the real work. they take the credit and the lion's share of the pay and offer little real value, when it come down to it.

400:1 or more ratio is absurd and uncalled for. those people are simply not worth that kind of money.

please, don't get me started!

;)

• Love
Reactions: dhrivnak and Scott7
Thanks for the information. Wow, $8000 is a lot of money. I know there has been lots of discounting since I got my car in Sept. 2018. I have auto park, summon, traffic aware CC. They want $4000 to upgrade to FSD. Seems kinda high, especially since I have already paid $56,000 before taxes.

Thanks for the information. Wow, $8000 is a lot of money. I know there has been lots of discounting since I got my car in Sept. 2018. I have auto park, summon, traffic aware CC. They want $4000 to upgrade to FSD. Seems kinda high, especially since I have already paid $56,000 before taxes.
Can you please give us the price you would have acceptably paid to not give you the right to expect to pay nothing more?

“Before taxes” is a joke phrase. Do you mean before sales taxes? Or do you throw in the $7500 in tax credit you received?

Thanks for the information. Wow, $8000 is a lot of money.

That's exactly what FSD (if you don't have EAP already) will cost as of August 1 this year... (it's currently 7k)...and likely your cost will go up from 4k to 5k at that time so longer you wait the more it'll cost.

Th
I know there has been lots of discounting since I got my car in Sept. 2018.

There really hasn't if you do the math including the tax credit and hardware changes.

Last time I ran this buying a comparable new Model 3 today was actually more expensive than buying the 2018 version... (or very very close, depending on stuff like wheel/color choices)

I have auto park, summon, traffic aware CC. They want $4000 to upgrade to FSD. Seems kinda high, especially since I have already paid $56,000 before taxes.

Currently for EAP owners buying FSD delivers 0 new functionality.

You get the HW3 computer upgrade, and you get more visualizations on screen- that's it.

The first 'real' FSD-only features are coming later this year (in early access testing now) which is stopping at red lights and stop signs.

Last time I ran this buying a comparable new Model 3 today was actually more expensive than buying the 2018 version... (or very very close, depending on stuff like wheel/color choices)

I agree with tax credits 18/19 was the best time to buy, esp for SR. Not sure about the other trims.

I know AP priced @ $2K and that's what I'm waiting for. C'mon @elonmusk start discounting and turn on that FCF spigot.

Very interested in this topic (started a few threads myself :)). I think there were some good points re the fact that some non-AP owners have cars that are now 2-3 years old and would rather spend $3k at trade in time (whenever that may be) as opposed to purchasing AP at full freight. Like others, definitely in at $1000 and could probably convince myself to go up to $1500 (especially since I'll be more inclined to go on long drives than fly in the months ahead). That said, I'd love a subscription option ($50 per month?) for basic AP. Now that they have figured out how to do that for premium connectivity, it could be feasible.

I didn't get AP at first (5/2019) b/c I was waiting on the AP trial but they stopped the trials. I wouldn't mind paying $1000 for it now, or paying for a subscription each month.

Resurrecting this post given the confirmation of future subscription-based FSD. I wonder whether they will have a basic autopilot tier available or perhaps just 'gift" autopilot to those without so they can standardize the subscription service a bit more. Wishful thinking perhaps, but I like the idea of a low cost (if not free - because, reality) basic autopilot either as a subscription or a minimal purchase price ($750?) and then opting into FSD for months when I have more driving/long road trips planned.

Resurrecting this post given the confirmation of future subscription-based FSD. I wonder whether they will have a basic autopilot tier available or perhaps just 'gift" autopilot to those without so they can standardize the subscription service a bit more. Wishful thinking perhaps, but I like the idea of a low cost (if not free - because, reality) basic autopilot either as a subscription or a minimal purchase price ($750?) and then opting into FSD for months when I have more driving/long road trips planned.
I’d be all over this!

Reactions: R_Stephens