Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it come fully charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Silly question, but I don't have my home charger yet, and I don't have any 220v outlets in my house. I just want to get through the first week of driving around town without going to a supercharger. I'll plug it into a 120v line to keep it as charged as I can until an electrician actually calls back (why is this always a problem?) I finally found a plumber that responds, but never an electrician. At least call back and say sorry, I can't do it.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Most new deliveries do not come fully charged. The delivery centers don’t have Superchargers so they rely on the wall connectors which can only charge up to 44 mph. On busy days they may only have an hour or two to keep the cars plugged in before they move on to their next delivery.

Even slow charging on 120v should be enough to keep you going unless you are driving more than 60 miles per day. Just keep it plugged in whenever you are home.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78 and kavyboy
You can ask that your Tesla be fully charged, but they do not have the capacity to top up every delivery.

Most want to try Supercharging as soon as they get delivery. See if there is a Supercharger nearby on on your way home to fill as desired.

Also check to see if your delivery center has a destination charger in their parking lot you can use.

Check your house to see if your have a 240V socket you can use until you get your charging set up. Purchase an adaptor for that socket and run a heavy duty extension cord to your car. Might be a dryer or kitchen stove that has a socket you can use.

Last option is to simply plug into a nearby 120V outlet and put in the hours necessary to get your charge.

Tesla recommends you get your charging set up prior to taking delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: h2oAok
My house unfortunately does not have any 220v outlets. My dryer, stove, heat and water heater are gas, and these usually need higher voltage/amps if electric. I know the house is capable though. In fact, a few years ago one of the lines into the house went out at the street and Con Edison came and bridged the two lines temporarily so I had power. They then came months later to finish the job and get me back to dual feeds. Their one concern was that I would lose any 220v appliances if they did that but we had none.

There is a supercharger not too far from me, maybe 3 miles from home, but this is Brooklyn and 3 miles can sometimes feel like 30!

In the meantime I'll keep it plugged into the 120v outlet on a 20amp circuit. I figure it'll be in the driveway at least 12-16 hours each day anyway. I'm not using it to commute, and that was true even before the pandemic, and before I retired. It'll be joy rides the first week.

My car was given a quick charge before delivery. Cost was 4.65. I have free supercharging through June of this year.... didn’t matter in my case.

My 2018 LR RWD was delivered to our home with ZERO miles of range remaining. We had to run an extension cord out to the truck and charge at 120v for 30 minutes before we were able to drive it off the truck. Fortunately, after over two years of ownership, there has been almost no apparent loss of range (306 miles, more or less, both then and now).

I feel your pain IRT finding an electrician. I called one who had done work for us in the past, but he was tied up with new construction. I spent one week calling others with no luck. I called my guy back and he agreed to do the installation when he finished the big job he was working on--one month later. Fortunately, I had made my initial call to the electrician on the day the car was ordered, so in spite of the delay, 240v was available when the car arrived.

Mine was delivered with 28% remaining. I'm about 25 miles away from the Fremont factory.

I use 110v as my primary charging, as I almost never need full range on back to back days. I charge to 80%. If I ever need more than this, SuperChargers or even Evgo/Plugshare/Chargepoint are pretty convenient. 240v is a nice to have, not a necessity. Also worth noting that batteries prefer being charged slowly.

Mine had 90% SOC on pickup and I used 120v for a few weeks until permits were approved and my electrician could come over. Since I am working from home, 120v worked fine. It was slow to recover on the couple times I took the SOC down the low 30s. But worked out fine.

By now, you’ve probably learned that charging to 100% is a no-no, unless you plan on driving the car immediately. Asking for your brand new Tesla to be charged to 100% for delivery is either being ignorant of the long term damage to the battery, or simply not caring. If you have a long drive where range could be an issue, perhaps you could call them ahead of time and ask they charge it to 90%.

Most people are looking forward to charging their new car for the first time. Some are anxious to try supercharging, and others have spent a significant amount of money to install a wall charger at home that they want to test out. What would be the fun if you get home with a 97% charge remaining?

For what it’s worth, my car came charged around 60%.

As you can probably tell by the responses, there is no telling what the SoC will be. What I can tell you though is that I didn't have to pay for supercharging on delivery day. This is true for both the M3s I purchased. Supercharging on your way home is probably your best option. Even if you had to pay for the charge, chances are it's less than $10.

Reactions: Superendo