Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will MX fit in my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Just curious, Blurry_Eyed, if you back in do the doors clear the overhead door and opener? Seems that they do in most garages. I suppose you won't be able to try summon until 7.1 is released for the MX.. but that'll be the next question. Seems like a perfect solution in your garage.

I haven't tried backing in yet to test it out. Summoning would take car of any issues, but since we have fine access to car as is, I don't know how often we'll use it. I think the garage door opener is so low in my garage that it would interfere with one door opening. If it was centered on the garage door I don't think it would be a problem, but since it's slightly offest to the right of the garage as you enter it, it will probably stop the door from fully opening.

I'll test it out soon and see. Still on 7.0 so don't have summon feature yet.

Blurry_Eyed, am I seeing correctly that your active spoiler seems to be in the extended position in most of your pictures, and in the retracted position in others? Any idea why it would be extended while the car is parked? Thanks.

Yes, the spoiler extends when you drive. If you park the car and don't lock it, it will not retract. It only retracts once extended when you park and lock the car. I haven't noticed any timeout feature where the spoiler retracts after the car sits unlocked after a period of time. Since our garage is detached and secured with a code, we tend to leave our cars unlocked while parked in the garage.

Got it, makes sense. Somehow I had imagined that it would extend and retract with speed fluctuations as you drive.
Good overview by pvogel.

Manual info with speeds. I added MPH info. Only version of manual I had.

The Model X has a rear spoiler designed to improve aerodynamics. The position of the spoiler can vary depending on the status and speed of Model X:

• When Model X is in Reverse or when driving speed is below 16 km/h [10 mph], the spoiler provides maximum visibility behind Model X.
• When driving speed exceeds 72 km/h [45 mph], the spoiler lowers to the position that provides the most effective aerodynamics.
• When Model X is powered off and locked, the spoiler retracts.

To allow the spoiler to automatically move as described above, touch Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > Spoiler > Automatic. To disable automatic movement of the spoiler, which keeps it in its extended position, choose the Extended setting.

@Ohmman....OK I did the test....interesting results

I had my garage door closed....and the door opened completely..... even with very little side clearance
It opened more slowly than in an open area because of the proximity sensing...but it opened fully....

With my garage door open, the door only partially opened..One could still access the back seats but you'd need to be a contortionist
I think the combination of close proximity to the sidewall and the low overhead did not allow it to open fully...but it did not hit anything
pushing the side button closed the door safely. Perhaps if I moved the car to the center of the garage it would open fully....

One lesson implied from this test...
I need to put in an interlock to ensure I never close my garage door while the fwd's or open or there is a good possibility of some unwanted interaction : )
Glad I did this test to see what has the potential of occurring...

Exact same scenario.

With garage door opened:

half_back.jpg

half_front.jpg

With garage door closed:

open_back.jpg

open_front.jpg

Reactions: mlouie23
Marcus, at what height is the garage door from the floor (when opened)? Funny, your photo is disappointing, because your garage looks well within the "standard garage" definition we were told the doors would operate in. At the same time, I'm super impressed by the functionality in Blurry_Eyed's less than standard garage. Who'd have guessed?

You might want to try backing in - you can probably open the doors fully with the garage door open if so.

Marcus, at what height is the garage door from the floor (when opened)? Funny, your photo is disappointing, because your garage looks well within the "standard garage" definition we were told the doors would operate in. At the same time, I'm super impressed by the functionality in Blurry_Eyed's less than standard garage. Who'd have guessed?

You might want to try backing in - you can probably open the doors fully with the garage door open if so.

The track is at 86.5". Backing in works great... but the charger cable won't reach then.

Perhaps it's be a calibration/sensitivity issue. If that fails, try hanging a ladder nearby :wink:

I just signed a new apt lease and the garage door is 92" wide. My Infiniti G35 fits in there pretty easily, but I'm worried about the Model X's width.
Any thoughts?

92" gives you 5" of clearance on either side of the car if your mirrors are folded, which can happen as a result of your GPS location or with one press of a button on the door. 5" of clearance is more than I frequently have in various parking spaces, so should be plenty for driving in.

Today was a milestone. The extra stuff that prevented both Model S and Model X to be in the garage at the same time were moved and the space cleaned. No storage facility required.

A MX won't fit in a garage if the parking spot has boxes of clutter, old construction materials, unused tools and unopened boxes from the last move 3 years ago!

(Tip: A half dozen 2 x 4's that need to be donated were temporary placed in the center of the parking space. Only two boards high, the Tesla cleared the boards nicely.)

Anyone Have An Opinion On Whether Or Not I Will Have MX Fit Problems?

We are about to place our order for the Model X. I think I have figured out how to get it into the garage without having to back it in….which my wife refuse to do, for good reason. Here is a photo of my space. I think that I only need to put some foam parking bumpers on the door supports as a safeguard. Does anyone see any concerns with this? I can select low suspension height to gain an inch.

And I note that another owner installed a light beam control to lock out garage door movements when the FWDs are open. I would add that to my setup, too.

I note that some have encountered problems with lower door heights. For remodeling reasons, we recently changed our garage door from a tradition five-panel design to a newer three-panel design. These three-panel doors require a larger radius on the track and therefore the top of the rails are about 6-7 “ higher. I can’t take credit for this “brilliance”, but it certainly in the right direction.

Attachments

• Hart Model X Garage Clearance.jpg
    Hart Model X Garage Clearance.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 175