Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the free FSD trial convince you to purchase FSD?

Do you intend to purchase FSD when your free trial runs out?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Not offered free trial/already had it/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't experienced them myself, but as I understand it:

Summon basically moves in a straight line either forwards or backwards. For example, you could line the car up for a tight parking spot, get out of the car, and then move it into the space by remote .

Smart Summon is supposed to be able to navigate to you, like moving from a parking space an aisle over to a curb where you're standing and waiting for it.
Well I tried summon yesterday and it ran the front left wheel against a cement curb trying to back out of a parking spot. Now my wheel is all chipped up. Doubt I’ll ever try this again. Not sure if this was supposed to be a “smart summon”. It did involve turning the steering wheel. But it was a big fail.

Well I tried summon yesterday and it ran the front left wheel against a cement curb trying to back out of a parking spot. Now my wheel is all chipped up. Doubt I’ll ever try this again. Not sure if this was supposed to be a “smart summon”. It did involve turning the steering wheel. But it was a big fail.
I tried summon once during the trial using feature where it drives to your location. I stopped its progress after a couple seconds as it was driving straight into the bush with a large tree just a foot into the bush.

I have a 2023 RWD that I bought at the beginning of December it had a free 3 months FSD, I tried it several times and hated it, I turned it off after several days of owning the car. I received the 1 month free trial this April and tried it again and again hated it and turned if off, I always wanted to try summon but since I do not have the parking sensors that function is not available, not even with the latest update.
Conclusion FSD is a bust for me it is a wast of money IMHO.

• Informative
Reactions: GeoX750
FSD in the City is AWESOME
On 401 between Mississauga and Cambridge. It will get you killed (sooner or later)
99$ is attractive and I would have got it if not for dangerous highway experience
LMAO - this is my travel corridor. And perhaps why I wasn't impressed the first time I tried it. Then tried it again. And promptly went back to standard autopilot.

I would love standard autopilot with auto lane change. It's a subtle, but welcome addition.

On 401 between Mississauga and Cambridge. It will get you killed (sooner or later)
99$ is attractive and I would have got it if not for dangerous highway experience
I haven’t been on FSD between Mississauga and Cambridge on 401. But have been on 401 going east of Mississauga, QEW, 427, 410, 407, etc. my experience has been great. Just curious- what is different between Mississauga and Cambridge on 401?

Reactions: KevinT3141
Strange I do this 2-3 times a week and my experience has been great but then again Auto pilot works fine too.
Hmm
Here are a couple of examples as it applies for my drive:
1) 401 WB, Winston Churchill: It takes the ramp fine but the fails to give indicator or merge when the merging lane ends. Needs manual intervention.
2)401 EB, Mississauga rd: Same as above. It takes the ramp fine but the fails to give indicator or merge when the merging lane ends. Needs manual intervention.
3) 401 WB after 407 when the express and collector start, the entry into the express lane ends. Once again it fails to merge.
4) 401 EB when i have to exit mississauga road, it stays in the express lanes when there is no exit. It needs to get into collectors. Then it tries insane lane changes. I got honked two times when AP changed lanes.

Got a few more examples. LOL
but in the City its perfect including dangerous left lanes in the City

Hmm
1) 401 WB, Winston Churchill: It takes the ramp fine but the fails to give indicator or merge when the merging lane ends. Needs manual intervention.
2)401 EB, Mississauga rd: Same as above. It takes the ramp fine but the fails to give indicator or merge when the merging lane ends. Needs manual intervention.
3) 401 WB after 407 when the express and collector start, the entry into the express lane ends. Once again it fails to merge.
4) 401 EB when i have to exit mississauga road, it stays in the express lanes when there is no exit. It needs to get into collectors. Then it tries insane lane changes. I got honked two times when AP changed lanes.

Oh ok, my case is slightly different as I take 401 from Cambridge all the way to Toronto and yes I agree it messes up lane changes specially when it’s on ramp and off ramp or when a lane ends as it does so without giving indication, I have experienced this as well. I am usually on HoV but once off HoV(towards Cambridge)it manages the lane changes based on traffic very well.

Yeah 401 has to be the ultimate test - it's just a *sugar*-show of a highway anyway - design, volume, and of course the drivers - not sure how they'll program FSD to invert the normal use of lanes like the 401ers - left lane is the slowest, right lane is the one for everyone to fly along in, weaving in and out of traffic like maniacs. I guess if they turn on AI it could learn?

Yeah 401 has to be the ultimate test - it's just a *sugar*-show of a highway anyway - design, volume, and of course the drivers - not sure how they'll program FSD to invert the normal use of lanes like the 401ers - left lane is the slowest, right lane is the one for everyone to fly along in, weaving in and out of traffic like maniacs. I guess if they turn on AI it could learn?
It actual does that just today I was in left lane (had just came off hov)and the right lane was empty and it switched to the right lane and as pace picked up it moved back in left lane I was like this has been trained on Toronto roads 😂

Hmm

The merge, when the merge lane ends, is a problem for FSD, everywhere. I join QEW at Mississauga Road. It keeps going (sometimes accelerates) though the cameras seem to know that the lane is ending. This is the same case when I join 427S from Renforth. I always provide feedback “Did not recognize ending lane and continues to drive in the same lane”. Hopefully they fix it.

Manually turning on the turn signal as soon as you enter the ramp seems to help sometimes, especially if the vehicles on the highway give enough room to merge. But some humans speed up not wanting you to get in.

Sometimes I wonder if we are intervening because we are naturally cautious. For example, on 427N after we cross 401, due to construction, there is a wall on the line, on the left lane. The FSD maintains same speed not wavering from the middle of the lane. The first time I got scared so took control and went close to the right line/lane . But on the second time, I gritted my teeth and let it lead without doing anything. It continued the speed and was in the middle of the lane, throughout. And I live today to tell you the story!!

Other than the merge problem, I find FSD extremely useful.

One other minor irritant is that once it reaches the destination, FSD doesn’t know what to do. But to be fair, I park underground in my office and I cannot expect (at least for now) to park in the driveway at my home.

Ha ha. Good point!! May be they should sell us the UK model!!

Reactions: richyrich
You may forgive merging at the last moment without giving indicator but in my case when it does its slowed downt o 50Kmph or less.
If you do that during a driving test you fail
If there is moderate or low traffic the person in the lane will have to slam on to their brakes
I know its just one thing but its extremely dangerous

I took a ~2000 kms trip to the US a few days ago and got to test it out in many diverse conditions, mostly highways. Overall I don't really like it. On highways, when approaching a slower car, it will change lanes to pass, but then stay in the left lane far too long before moving back out of the passing lane. There is an option to minimize lane changes, but this resets to off for each drive. Too often I would find it doing something I didn't like, or failing to do something I like to do (eg move over when someone is trying to merge from an on-ramp). It also didn't always detect the speed limit correctly, for example there are steep hills in pennsylvania where signs say "truck speed limit 25 mph" so it would slow down to 25 even though that only applies to trucks. After a few days I ended up disabling FSD and just using the basic cruise control. I do like the auto-park feature and used it a lot.