Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't be surprised if the cubic capacity of the storage area was the same or higher than if the 2nd row seat back could fold flat. You lose the depth of the 2nd row, but gain the height.
In my world the depth is the most important. Rarely did I run into height issues. YMMV.

When there are two of use we don't like to use racks for skis or bikes. Its faster to just toss them into the back with folded seats (we put a sheet down to protect the upholstery) and don't have to worry about air resistance, theft or potential damage from someone taking out the bikes on a hitch based rack, plus the added weight of the rack. And don't get me started about the loss of access to the rear when a fully loaded rack is on or the time it takes to mount everything and make sure its secure.

I am disappointed with the space seeing that photo. Nigel brings up a good point about many people using this space for 'dog hauling' with s risk of them falling in the gap. I still will hold onto my reservation until we see the full reveal but I have to ask....The X was delayed for 2 years and no one in TM thought this would be a problem with a CUtilityV?

I am disappointed with the space seeing that photo. Nigel brings up a good point about many people using this space for 'dog hauling' with s risk of them falling in the gap. I still will hold onto my reservation until we see the full reveal but I have to ask....The X was delayed for 2 years and no one in TM thought this would be a problem with a CUtilityV?

the important question is - how many dogs. What size are they. Do they dribble and shed.

How the hell does Tesla Motors expect me to talk my wife into buying a model X with this crappy middle seat arrangement? It was going to be hard enough with the Falcon wing doors (try going skiing!).

I LOVE my Model S. Love it! But there is no sane reason to reinvent something that works perfectly! They aren't selling tonic oil! The car is superior in so many ways, but this is a monumental blunder. I will wait for the reveal, but there is no way this will fly with anyone except fanboys like me. I am SO disappointed. This will set the company back, mark my words.

Sad.

I was hoping to be able to sleep in the back of the Model X on camping trips. If there is no flat surface, or it's not long enough (I'm 6' 2"), then that option is gone.

Same here. (also 6'2"). Just pull into a camp ground, hook up to the 14-50 for a charge, and be able to sleep in the back. At the reveal over 3 1/2 years ago, Elon talked about "a nearly Queen sized bed" in the back.

Same here. (also 6'2"). Just pull into a camp ground, hook up to the 14-50 for a charge, and be able to sleep in the back. At the reveal over 3 1/2 years ago, Elon talked about "a nearly Queen sized bed" in the back.

Accessory or DIY "storage" box (see red box below)? I have this "exact" issue already in my SUV that has captains chairs as the 2nd row. Slept there a couple months back while camping at a sporting event.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/VTKBIDL.png
VTKBIDL.png

Accessory or DIY "storage" box (see red box below)? I have this "exact" issue already in my SUV that has captains chairs as the 2nd row. Slept there a couple months back while camping at a sporting event.

Image: http://i.imgur.com/VTKBIDL.png
View attachment 94336

yep, a few inches of "base foam" and a few inches of "5 pound density viscoelastic foam" and slap it all inside a mattress protector and you'll have something pretty darn comfortable to sleep on even if it isn't perfectly flat. One step more sound if you add a piece of wood (just thick enough not to crack) to prevent irregular surfaces from translating through and do the princess and the pea thing to you (but I don't know how you'd store that during the drive).

I suppose if it's just 2 people on the trip you can put the wood in and if there are more than 2 people you can go for the soft only setup.

If length isn't an issue the red box + wood setup would allow you to have a tilt that some might be used to with an adjustable bed. Depedning on the height of the red box you could have the head at whichever end is higher.

If on the soft only version I'd put my feet over the red box with the red box being level or below rear storage floor height. Some people even like having their feet dangle.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes for a flat area, but I worry that the length of the bed will be less than 6'.

If it is wide enough you may be able to sleep at an angle to get the extra length coverage. You don't have to lay exactly lined up with the front back orientation.

Last edited:
I guess the question now turns to practicality. There is obviously a big gap between the folded 3rd row and the 'stowed' second row; you can see that Tesla filled it with parcels which look nice and neat. If I'm transporting my dogs how do I stop them falling down there?

"Mind the gap! Woof!"

Since we will be using our SigX for transporting three large dogs, I was looking at this as well. If you simply move the second row seats back against the folded down third row seats, it removes the gap, and provides a nice large flat area for the dogs. Plus, you can still seat up to five people.

Of course, our dogs are spoiled, and would prefer the Next Gen seats with the 3-zone heaters :)

Ron
SigX #1015

Since we will be using our SigX for transporting three large dogs, I was looking at this as well. If you simply move the second row seats back against the folded down third row seats, it removes the gap, and provides a nice large flat area for the dogs. Plus, you can still seat up to five people.

Of course, our dogs are spoiled, and would prefer the Next Gen seats with the 3-zone heaters :)

Ron
SigX #1015
Unless the head rests aren't removable. :(

In say a Audi Q7 you have a proper "trunk" with no nooks, crannies or gaps. I can see a market for some form of wall / divider that recreates this aspect of normal SUVs in the X with the 3rd row folded.

Unless the head rests aren't removable. :(

In say a Audi Q7 you have a proper "trunk" with no nooks, crannies or gaps. I can see a market for some form of wall / divider that recreates this aspect of normal SUVs in the X with the 3rd row folded.

Please send your resume to TM...They...I mean WE need you.:wink:

I was hoping to be able to sleep in the back of the Model X on camping trips. If there is no flat surface, or it's not long enough (I'm 6' 2"), then that option is gone.
Some enterprising company could offer the "Pop-out Screen Porch" feature where one Falcon Wing would stay raised with an attached screening that allows for sleeping on the second row with feet stretched out into the porch area. Just watch out for those pesky bears that might drop on by.

Obviously, I am a loyal Tesla owner, but after these realizations/discoveries on the X, I have concerns that the Model X will not join my S (and likely our III) in the garage.

My comments:

1) Many folks have stated rooftop storage is irrelevant. If you have a family of 5, and want to take a trip that includes luggage for 7 days, double strollers, and other kid-gear, it is very relevant. I am still waiting clarification on the frunk capacity, but given the tear-drop of the rear hatch, I do not think internal storage will cover our needs. Yes, going to the grocery store will not require this storage (I get that), but our seven-eight trips a year to Los Angeles certainly will. This may not be a requirement for in-town driving, I get that... but for an SUV, I would imagine it is more of a desire than the folks downplaying it might understand.

2) The lack of folding second row seats is another obvious concern. I guess I am just surprised given the extreme delay is shipping the car, I personally do not understand this oversight. It was shown in the reveal of the prototype years ago.

3) Besides some cool headlights, doesn't seem to have advanced all that much vs. current Model S. This could be wrong, but I am starting to doubt the "big holdback" and "double top secret blow-away" features that folks have been speaking of. Maybe I am wrong... will know soon. I get that this car is still light-years beyond traditional ICE machines in technology, but.....the game is changing.

WRT to the game changing: Forget my immediate needs/desires/requirements for a minute... Tesla has to be concerned about the coming competition in the EV marketplace. Audi just revealed their 270-300 mile EV SUV for 2018 (which isn't too far away.) Who else is coming? Will they enable basics like rooftop storage and fold down seats? I know, the Audi is only 2 rows of seating...but will the next one be? Tesla needs to compete not with ICE, but with the German EVs that are looking to be more than token compliance cars this generation.

Here is the Audi reveal from yesterday: Audi E-Tron Concept - 2015 Frankfurt Motor Show - YouTube