Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the second row seats fold flat? If so, how?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a screen capture from the Verge video:

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 9.44.35 PM.png

What happened to "utility meets performance"

Utility was demoed. It might not be 4x8 sheet of plywood utility, but there is utility nonetheless. Already there are two seat configurations available to choose from. I imagine at some point down the road, if there is enough demand, that folding second row seats will be made available. So, if that's a requirement for people, they should let their request be known to Tesla - probably via one of those SC survey thingymabobs.

2nd Row seats do NOT fold flat.

Per this article,

We Drove Teslas Crazy Fast Model X SUV | TechCrunch

The "lean pretty far forward" but do not fold flat. A lot of people will be disappointed with that. It's still an SUV in which people buy for the ability to haul large items on occasion. They have very nice 2nd row seats that are arguably as good as the front seats, so I guess that's the trade off to have 2nd row comfort. Do parents really care how "comfortable" their kids are in the back seat? Will kids even notice the difference? hard to say what affect this will have on sales.

Per this article,

The "lean pretty far forward" but do not fold flat. A lot of people will be disappointed with that. It's still an SUV in which people buy for the ability to haul large items on occasion. They have very nice 2nd row seats that are arguably as good as the front seats, so I guess that's the trade off to have 2nd row comfort. Do parents really care how "comfortable" their kids are in the back seat? Will kids even notice the difference? hard to say what affect this will have on sales.

And that's ok (that they don't fold flat). Anybody remember how Apple demoed an iPhone that couldn't do flash? Oh, what amount of discussions we had!! The simple truth is: if you need to redo your drywall, carry massive amounts of lumber of need to move your household, the Model X is not your car. Not because of the 2nd row, but simply because buying a 100k car and then using it for something that a F150 + a Uhaul would be more suited to do, just doesn't make sense. The Model X is a big huge car with massive amount of storage as it is. Need more? Add a trailer. Simple as that.

And that's ok (that they don't fold flat). Anybody remember how Apple demoed an iPhone that couldn't do flash? Oh, what amount of discussions we had!! The simple truth is: if you need to redo your drywall, carry massive amounts of lumber of need to move your household, the Model X is not your car. Not because of the 2nd row, but simply because buying a 100k car and then using it for something that a F150 + a Uhaul would be more suited to do, just doesn't make sense. The Model X is a big huge car with massive amount of storage as it is. Need more? Add a trailer. Simple as that.
A few weeks ago I hauled 8 doors in my model S without issue. would not be possible in the X. Not a regular occurrence of course, but I would have been annoyed having to rent a trailer to accomplish the same in a bigger car.

No chance in hell I am buying a pickup truck either:) All electric in my household now, and it will stay that way:)

I have a Honda Fit that I use for hauling everything from doors to lumber to plants. The inside looks pretty bad with scratches on things. I don't think I'd want to use the X for that. If you need to haul things often, buy a small used truck or something, or just rent a truck when you need it.

Per this article,

Folks, there's literally dozens of thread in this forum about the 2nd row seats. It's our common good to keep things in order. Imagine there was a new thread for every single news about any other aspect of the car - you'd go crazy. Thanks for thinking before posting.

Last edited:
In this regard the Model X is like every other SUV/CUV. They appear larger on the outside then they are on the inside. Now mostly in my experience that is when it comes to carrying people. The Model X actually does appear to give more people room. If you are a contractor that does lots of work carrying 4x8 pieces of plywood, 2x4s, drywall, etc. There is no way you are spending $100K+ on one of these. If you occasionally need to pick up that sort of material then Home Depot, Lowes, Menards in the US all have trucks for rent for short periods of time for like $20-$30. Keep you luxury CUV nice and pristine.

I am no SUV/CUV fan, but I could definitely own a Model X.

I have a Honda Fit that I use for hauling everything from doors to lumber to plants. The inside looks pretty bad with scratches on things. I don't think I'd want to use the X for that. If you need to haul things often, buy a small used truck or something, or just rent a truck when you need it.
Exactly. The only bicycle that goes in my Model S is my folding bike. Bikes tore up my previous hatchback cars- and a floor and side covering would NOT have prevented all the damage. You get grease and scratches even when careful placing a bicycle inside. Of we had a Model X, any bikes would go on the rack, or we would take folding bikes or pay for rental. I do not want a $100k car interior marred.

...I do not want a $100k car interior marred.
Perhaps that is why the design includes the highly polished plastic seat backs. Who will put pets or children in a car where the surfaces could be scratched or marred so easily. This is a work of art and should be treated with respect. The third party companies should start engineering seat back protection to maintain the futuristic surface. Until that day, maybe the children (and some adults) should remove their shoes or wear bootie covers. PLEASE KEEP YOUR FEET OFF THE SEATS.... TAXI STICKER Taxi-Mart Shop

Seat Sign.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps that is why the design includes the highly polished plastic seat backs. Who will put pets or children in a car where the surfaces could be scratched or marred so easily. This is a work of art and should be treated with respect.

Obviously there are different opinions on the work of art thing, but the way I have successfully dealt with it in Sparky, our Model S, is to give him a voice. He talks to my kids (through me, of course, with a deep but kind voice) and talks of drinking his "juice" from his straw (charge cable) and how happy he is when he's washed. If feet make their way to the back of the seats, he reacts with sad disappointment, as he does when dirty feet track mud or sand into him. You would be surprised how impactful it is, even for my nearly 9 year old son.

Obviously there are different opinions on the work of art thing, but the way I have successfully dealt with it in Sparky, our Model S, is to give him a voice. He talks to my kids (through me, of course, with a deep but kind voice) and talks of drinking his "juice" from his straw (charge cable) and how happy he is when he's washed. If feet make their way to the back of the seats, he reacts with sad disappointment, as he does when dirty feet track mud or sand into him. You would be surprised how impactful it is, even for my nearly 9 year old son.
I like that. Using the quality items in our life for learning and teaching rather than avoiding their use altogether. We are forced to view enough signs in our lives, so teaching respect for other's possessions is an excellent way to enjoy life and relax over the mishaps that occur. My Model S has a few scrapes I created that allow me to stay calm when unavoidable window pitting, scratches or minor scuffs take place.