Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

World Map of Model S Reservation Holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PeterSZ,

thanks for your kind words, I feel the same embarrassment than agent smith. But the hint at BMW i3 is NOT easing the pain.
The i3 will be 4 seats for €40k :scared:. Add €3k for a range extender :confused:. Check the latest posts in this thread: BMW i and it's very frustrating what the European car makers plan to put on the road. The Renaults just don't cut the cake, the VW e-up is a tiny, tiny car, Audi scrapped there "pure EV" vehicles, Porsche builds hybrid cars with formula one spec...
No one appears to have a desirable sedan with decent electric range on its plate. I'm out of emoticons here...

We have been BMW people for quite a while. And my wife puts about 35k miles per year (commute 65 miles one way) on her 5 series. Get a new one every 3 years. However, BMW has been hounding us to consider the electric. We contacted BMW and said that the range (supposedly 60, realistically 45-50) would not suit our needs. They replied that Americans are obsessed with 'Range Anxiety'. Well 130 miles of necessity per day may be considered 'Range Anxiety' for BMW, but, sorry - gotta get to work.
Add a 'Range Extender' ? C'mon, it's a gas engine. Call it what is is - a Hybrid. If you want to sell an extended golf cart and call it the answer to our automotive needs, don't call it a car - call it a golf cart.

Come back to the table when the engineers at BMW that we used to know have gone back to school. The school of innovation - class starts in Fremont, CA.

Going OT here, but, BMW and the like seem to be hoping that this "EV fad" will die away soon; they are doing their best to make that happen by putting out BEVs/EREVs that are nowhere near the BMW gold standard for automobiles.

I still don't get why they don't put out the 1-series coupe ActiveE (given its 700 'electronaut' lessees today) as a production vehicle rather than the commuter-EV-style i3 that looks more like a Toyota-with-kidney-grille - no offense! - than a BMW. The ActiveE looks like a Beamer, drives like one too, I hear, and is a decent BEV with that reasonable ~100 mile range.

IMO, the ActiveE is a very good template for Tesla's Gen III.

PeterSZ,

thanks for your kind words, I feel the same embarrassment than agent smith. But the hint at BMW i3 is NOT easing the pain.
The i3 will be 4 seats for €40k :scared:. Add €3k for a range extender :confused:. Check the latest posts in this thread: BMW i and it's very frustrating what the European car makers plan to put on the road. The Renaults just don't cut the cake, the VW e-up is a tiny, tiny car, Audi scrapped there "pure EV" vehicles, Porsche builds hybrid cars with formula one spec...
No one appears to have a desirable sedan with decent electric range on its plate. I'm out of emoticons here...

BMW is living proof that it is extremely difficult for existing companies to really innovate and make the jump-over to the next technological phase. What Tesla is doing, putting together existing technology, is not something that could not have been done by BMW (or any other large carmanufacturer for that matter). They overpower Tesla in every aspect and resource. Thousands of engineers and with the German carmakers also profits pooring out their ears. They must all be too busy concentrating on the Chinese market. I think that at least 50% of all Model S buyers are ex-BMW or ex-Audi. Customers which will be extremely difficult to get back. In my case I also really blame them for NOT innovating. I am really going to rub it in for them as I will very actively promote the S once I have it. A sort of kicking their asses for doing nothing.

BMW is living proof that it is extremely difficult for existing companies to really innovate and make the jump-over to the next technological phase. What Tesla is doing, putting together existing technology, is not something that could not have been done by BMW (or any other large carmanufacturer for that matter). They overpower Tesla in every aspect and resource. Thousands of engineers and with the German carmakers also profits pooring out their ears. They must all be too busy concentrating on the Chinese market. I think that at least 50% of all Model S buyers are ex-BMW or ex-Audi. Customers which will be extremely difficult to get back. In my case I also really blame them for NOT innovating. I am really going to rub it in for them as I will very actively promote the S once I have it. A sort of kicking their asses for doing nothing.

You should see some of the stuff GM has cooked up in their R&D department. They were working on an all-electric car with four independent motors in each wheels. The wheels themselves could turn 90 degrees allowing you to parallel park by simply moving the car sideways. They just couldn't come up with a decent battery and the infrastructure wasn't there. They ended up building the Volt. The problem is they built too expensive a car for the mass market. Now they are building a Caddy with the Volt innards. This should have been the car they built in the first place. At this point in the cost curve, they're better selling upscale vehicles with that drive-train.

I have to say, the Volt is actually a pretty cool car. Just wrapped in an ugly shell...

I have to say, the Volt is actually a pretty cool car. Just wrapped in an ugly shell...
While I don't want a Volt (I like my S), I've never thought it was ugly. In fact I like the look much better than a Prius.

What made the Volt look ugly to me was the public investment and the hybridness of it. The "cover" of the book was fine.

IMO, hybrids don't need public support to be viable. Toyota seems to be just fine selling them in large numbers.

I've set up a wiki-map on which you can add your own entries. I'll approve them as they come in.

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=295135

• To add a marker, use the Additions/Add Marker - Simple drop-down.
  • Use your reservation number as the "Name", e.g. "P1635" or "S42 (EU)"
  • Please follow the color-coding convention in the legend at the bottom: red=Signature; purple=general Production; light purple=R list.
  • If you posted your reservation on the official boards, in the "Where will your Model S reside?" thread, I have already ported your entry.
  • If there is someone else with a reservation already in your town, please place your marker slightly to one side; otherwise, it will not be visible.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All entries go into moderation, so you won't see your marker until I approve it. If you have an questions or need to modify the marker, please send me a Private Message through these boards.

Currently, we have over 1800 individual purchases posted!

Curious about P2925 off the coast of Santa Cruz Calif. Great map. logged mine into it several months ago..

I've set up a wiki-map on which you can add your own entries. I'll approve them as they come in.

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=295135

• To add a marker, use the Additions/Add Marker - Simple drop-down.
  • Use your reservation number as the "Name", e.g. "P1635" or "S42 (EU)"
  • Please follow the color-coding convention in the legend at the bottom: red=Signature; purple=general Production; light purple=R list.
  • If you posted your reservation on the official boards, in the "Where will your Model S reside?" thread, I have already ported your entry.
  • If there is someone else with a reservation already in your town, please place your marker slightly to one side; otherwise, it will not be visible.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All entries go into moderation, so you won't see your marker until I approve it. If you have an questions or need to modify the marker, please send me a Private Message through these boards.

Currently, we have over 1800 individual purchases posted!

Hi! :)

I'm New on this site. Tried to place my mark in Norway on Your map this morning. I think it was successful, but it still hasn't come up yet. How long time does it take for it to appear?