TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Worst built car ever (my model X)

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BToorani, Oct 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. balefire

balefire Member

#41 balefire, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016

this poor guy in above video posted numerous videos prior to his purchase as a true porsche fanatic who was excited.
    his subsequent videos detailed his lemon unfortunately.
    ultimately porsche gave in and classified his car as a lemon.

One neighbor of mine has a lemon Land Rover.
    Traded in after 1 year.

Another neighbor of mine has a lemon MB GL.
    They laughed that their MB service advisor was on speed dial.
    Traded in after 1 year.

every car maker pushes out a lemon once in a while.
    and 1st year cars frequently have teething problems.

my 00 Honda S2000 had 10 TSBs in the first year alone.
    I still loved that car and miss it dearly.

My P100DL has exactly 0 problems.
    No SC visits planned.

Your experience is not unique and if resolution is not achieved, lemon laws apply.
    additionally tesla had a happiness guarantee at one point which your car might qualify for.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Wineborg

Wineborg Member

Sorry to hear all the issues you had.

I took delivery of my MX around the same time. Other than a slightly out-of-alignment FWD on one side, it was perfect. My DS asked me to bring it in for alignment, but I will probably have it done when the annual service is due. Just not worth to take it to SC for the small fix and be without MX for 2 days. This is a far better car than everything else (Q5, X5, GLE500) I had before, and I still have enjoy every minute of driving after almost 2 months.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. Ormond

Ormond Member

:)It's comforting to see positive stories. I don't expect perfection with a complex first-year model.

• Like x 5
  4. MikeJer

MikeJer Member

#44 MikeJer, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    I took delivery of our X75D late last month. There are a handful of minor issues -- clicking sound on FWD open/close, some minor chrome trim alignment issues, some interior pieces are a little loose, and some FWD rain leakage on open/close -- but the car has otherwise been spectacular. Everything "core" to the car -- handling, performance, tech, and overall functionality -- has been absolutely perfect, with the one exception of windshield ghosting (goes away with sunglasses at least).

I've decided to bring the car into the service center to get all of these relatively minor issues resolved at one time, but once done I'll have nothing to gripe about aside from the windshield ghosting (which doesn't bother me a ton anyway). My wife (doesn't see ghosting) is absolutely thrilled with the vehicle -- blown away even. We almost don't even *want* to bring the car in to correct these items because we're enjoying it so much!

I'm so sorry that the OP got a troubled build -- that sucks! -- but I have to say my experience has been very different with the car thus far. My wife and I absolutely LOVE it and feel it's quite spectacular.

Tangent: I can't believe how fast the 75D gains 30 (or even 60) MPH at the press of the accelerator. Seriously, accelerating any faster than this (e.g. 90D or any "P" variants) might make me nauseous. The 75D accelerates perfect for my taste and still offers plenty of thrill (my parents were literally "woahing" and holding the sides of their seats when I slammed the accelerator)!

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. ethank

ethank Member

I came to my 60D X from a BMW and have a MB GL450. Far less "nit picky" things on the X. There is a trim alignment issue on the back left fender, but Tesla is sending a ranger out to address. Other than that, nothing much. The BMW was back in right after I got it for a variety of things. Cars are complex.

• Like x 2
  6. nctalkinghead

nctalkinghead Member

Sorry for the OP's troubles. Just for the record my inventory Model X came with 963 miles on it. Apparently all of the bugs were swatted during those miles because since it was delivered to me on 8/1/16 it has had exactly ONE PROBLEM. The right side FWD was detecting an obstacle that was not there. SC folks in Raleigh - no doubt some of the best in Teslaland - replaced a sensor and gave me a loaner while they worked on it. As @electricity said "there are thousands of flawless Model X's out there" and I am fortunate to have one of them, even after 4k miles of driving since delivery.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

That is horrible. I took delivery of my 90D the same time and have no problems at all. I love the X and have recommended it to many people. It is not the most expensive car I have owned and honestly my 2012 Range Rover was the worst car ever. Total junk becasue I was in your boat from day 1. I understand your frustration but a class action suit is the anger talking. That will not fly. However your states Lemon Law may work in your favor and you can get a refund and return the car. On a side note going from thinking about a 911 to a big heavy SUV is kind of strange. But if it makes you feel any better my neighbor has a GL63 with 350 miles and its in the shop for a complete engine replacement under warranty. They machined the block wrong and it has an unfixable oil leak.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. outie

outie Active Member

Don't you wish there are handle bars in the car.

• Funny x 1
  9. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

Congrats on your X....it is a great vehicle.

Whidbey Island is a beautiful location...spent a year there attached to a Marine Air Squadron (too many years ago to count). Hopefully, it has stayed that way.

10. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I believe there are two options for OP. Lemon Law, which surely must apply (don't ask Tesla, research your state's rules), or a refund from Tesla. I'm guessing both of those are viable. I'd shoot for the second one, and if that fails, work on the first.

My X is definitely the most trouble-laden new vehicle I've ever purchased. The '68 Mustang I restored as a 17 year old may take the cake for the most trouble-laden I ever owned. I believe the technician was the one to fault there, though.

My days alternate between wishing I'd never bought the car, and being glad that I did. In stark contrast, every time I get in my "classic" early 2014 Model S, I celebrate the purchase. I was driving it home from the gym today and said out loud, "I love this car."

My service situation qualifies me for lemon law. I've honestly considered it. I have another visit coming up and I'm hopeful we can get things ironed out. In the meantime, I'm sure I'll have plenty of "I love it" days in the X. I just hope they outnumber the alternative.

OP, let us know how the options I suggested above work out for you. I'm confident you can get resolution through one of them.

• Like x 8
    • Helpful x 1
  11. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

I had a similar problem. See the thread I started (and my conclusion) at
    Acceleration Shudder

• Like x 1
  12. jonman

jonman Member

yup... mine is one of them

• Like x 3
  13. hill

hill Member

Or - He's way into amateur radio ... only no one ever says CQ any more, unless they're simply trying to sound like they've been around since the days of Marconi.
    :p

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  14. MikeJer

MikeJer Member

Although I'm sure there's a bigger population on the island now than in the past, I have to say it still feels very rural and has maintained its natural landscapes and sheer beauty. My wife and I just moved here earlier in the year and we love it, especially the Coupeville area. I work remotely as a software engineer but welcome the Navy presence in Oak Harbor and surrounding areas. :)

15. Nototrader

Nototrader Member

It's amazing how some cars are perfect and others have so many problems. I have an early 200 vin and aside from a couple of initial quality problems and the false obstacle detection issues when closing the fwds, I think the X is amazing. The down side is I hate every other car I drive now.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

did you try to return your car under the happiness guarantee? I think the program ended soon after you took delivery.

17. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

It might be unusual, but he's not alone. I also experienced a sundry list of 30+ issues with my car. If weren't crying, I would be laughing. The service center fixes about 75% of the remaining problems with every (very long) visit. I just hope new ones don't pop up.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  18. Ormond

Ormond Member

There needs to be a rabbi on the production line to see that everything is kosher.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  19. James Anders

James Anders Member

Or at least a Mohel to fix the trim.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. DrivingTheFuture

I think a lot of us agree that what we are really paying for is what the car can DO. I hear your frustrations because I shared some of them I initially with our X (some squeaks that have since gone away), but we are not shelling out that kind of money for fit and finish. I paid top dollar for the tech and for what the company stands for. I have to remind myself that Tesla has only been around little more than a decade, while most other car companies have been manufacturing cars for many multiples of that. I'm willing to live with the small defects if it means my wife and I are 3-4 times safer in our X than any other car and that our vehicle can drive itself on the highway. And lately I've been keeping my eye out for defects on other vehicles and low and behold, on a brand new Mercedes s550, the trunk chrome was misaligned with the body chrome trim piece. It made me feel a bit better. Just food for thought.

• Like x 7